Whyte T 129S or Specialized Camber Evo..I think

mattham
mattham Posts: 75
edited August 2014 in MTB buying advice
Hello :D

Yet another what bike thread....

Interested to see if anyone has tried both of these bikes and what the opinions are.

I need my new bike to be a bit of an all rounder I think. So I am also interested in what difference I would notice carrying the extra weight against something like a Giant Anthem 29er, which by accounts seems to be pretty capable, for my more 'everyday' riding up and down the rolling hills and trails of Bedfordshire.....planning multiple trips to Cannock, maybe Thetford as its not that far and also a couple of the Welsh trail centres every so often.

Am I thinking of this the wrong way round, in that the Whyte and Camber are overkill for most of what I do and I'd be better off with a lighter more agile bike and just dealing with the other stuff when it happens?

I'm pretty sold on the benefits of a 29er at the moment, and I'm not that skilled so being able to crash through a few things when my ability run out appeals...

More than grateful for any opinions and advice....(I'm going to sling my leg over a Whyte T129S in the next few weekends, trying to line up the Camber too, but wanted some expert opinion!)

Thanks all,
Matt

Comments

• Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    My advice would be to try ride both of them first, I tried a 29er after being told I'd be suited to one because of my height, didn't like it at all, much preferred smaller wheels. I'd try the anthem too, I ride an older trance and love it.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Anthem 29er is a cracker of a bike, on the trails you mention I think it would do everything you want. If you want the Whyte or the Spec you wont go wrong with either.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The Anthem is just as capable as the Whyte and Camber but is lighter and faster on the climbs.
    Get a demo on one, Giant do 5 day test rides.
  • bigmitch41
    bigmitch41 Posts: 685
    Looking at the same two as well, however dont discount the Epic 29er more xc than the other two and very capable too, as said try and get a ride on a few and see how they feel.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    In a recent mbr test, the white got 9/10 and the specialized got 10/10, so both are a good choice. Basically they said that the specialized was a more fun and lively ride, but the white had better spec, so take your pick
  • rockmonkeysc
    MBR always give 10/10 for specialized. I seem to remember them giving a Hardrock 10/10 despite it being crap.
  • just spent the day on a whytes t129 works. Was terrible. Didn't get on with it at all. But that may just be me lol. Go ahead and try them all, then you'll know. Happy hunting!
  • mattham
    stubs wrote:
    Anthem 29er is a cracker of a bike, on the trails you mention I think it would do everything you want. If you want the Whyte or the Spec you wont go wrong with either.

I was going down the Anthem route to start off with as I pretty much thought the same having read loads of reviews, but having read the WMB 2013 Trail Bike of the Year review earlier in the year, I had the Whyte at the back of my mind as well....
    The Anthem is just as capable as the Whyte and Camber but is lighter and faster on the climbs.
    Get a demo on one, Giant do 5 day test rides.

And I kept coming to this conclusion in drawing up my shortlist, that I would get everything I needed from the Anthem....no need to look anywhere else...
    Cqc wrote:
    In a recent mbr test, the white got 9/10 and the specialized got 10/10, so both are a good choice. Basically they said that the specialized was a more fun and lively ride, but the white had better spec, so take your pick

Then I read this very article....it's always the same with me....maybe just a little more travel will be good....maybe get the higher horse power engine on the new car....maybe a 50 in TV instead of a 46 in one....yea I do need 4k processing on the new AV amp even though there is zero content...etc etc...

I can also get the Whyte for £1900 which is making it very appealing....would this make a difference to anyone's opinion? I am at least confident now that the shortlist is correct, it will be a case of finding the right one...

Keep the opinion coming, it is really very much appreciated as I've been away from mountain biking for years and its taken me since last summer to figure out all of the new tech....

Thanks again guys,
    Matt
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    I really dislike the way Specialized full-suss bikes ride. The 'autosag' rear shock would be great if it did what it promised - but it doesn't. I don't think the Speccys climb very well, either. The top tubes feel too short and the front never feels planted - like there's not enough weight over the front wheel. It makes them feel slightly vague descending too. Nope, not for me.

The Whyte has too much SRAM for my liking (the shifters are a personal dislike and shifting clunky) and even at 1900, I think Pauls Cycles can do you a better deal on a 2013 Giant. An Anthem, or a Trance, if you really have to have 120mm.

I've not ridden the Whyte, but I know people that have. They really like it. Yet, none of them bought one (which is possibley more a reflection on them, than the bike. :lol: )

I used to own an Anthem 29er and it's still a benchmark ride for full-suss bikes. It did a grand job around places like Cannock and my local trails. The only problem it had was the same as every other 29er I've ridden - it's an awful lot of effort to hustle over really twisty trails. It was very good at getting me into things at high speed - the trick was getting out of them!

But if you really want the Whyte, then there's nothing we going to say that'll change that, and I get the impression you'd already made your mind up. :wink:
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • mattham
    Clank wrote:
    I've not ridden the Whyte, but I know people that have. They really like it. Yet, none of them bought one (which is possibley more a reflection on them, than the bike. :lol: )

Clank, why do you think this is - was there something that wasn't blowing them away? What did they buy instead?
    Clank wrote:
    I think Pauls Cycles can do you a better deal on a 2013 Giant. An Anthem, or a Trance, if you really have to have 120mm.

This was actually my plan, but alas by the time I was ready, ie about now, the Anthem X1 was sold out in everything bar small. I need a medium. This prompted a rethink which has led me down the Spesh/Whyte route. The 2014 Anthem 29er X1 just seems to be underspecced in comparison to the 2013 one so I started looking around to see if I could do better for my shortlist. I'm struggling to really see the benefits of 27.5 over 26 (not wanting to start another what wheel size thread) but I defo understand the advantages a 29er would have for certain people in the right situation over a 26. Hence, I haven't really considered the 2014 Anthem 27.5. I think I'd rather go with the 2013 Anthem 26er from Pauls if I ended up going this way.

Basically I suffer back and knee problems so the full suspension 29 er route appeals along with the lack of actual skill that I posses. This is not about going faster as such, its about going in comfort and being able to continue riding when I might not have otherwise been able to due to discomfort of the trail being too technical.
    Clank wrote:

I used to own an Anthem 29er and it's still a benchmark ride for full-suss bikes. It did a grand job around places like Cannock and my local trails. The only problem it had was the same as every other 29er I've ridden - it's an awful lot of effort to hustle over really twisty trails. It was very good at getting me into things at high speed - the trick was getting out of them!

This is interesting, what did you swap to and how does it compare?
    Clank wrote:
    But if you really want the Whyte, then there's nothing we going to say that'll change that, and I get the impression you'd already made your mind up. :wink:

Not especially, but having seen it for a reasonable discount along with consistently good reviews it seemed like a winner especially if there is a hairs width difference in performance between them, which the MBUK article suggests - £300 difference in price can buy a lot of accessories or upgrades after all....should have learned by now that its not that simple!!

So......I'm more confused then when I started thinking about this! Maybe I should just save a shed load of money, keep my HT (Merlin Malt 4 from 2008 so its not great, but is OK actually, I was just going to bench this and convert it to a hybrid for days out with the missus and kids) for the days my back and knee feels fine and I'm local and get a cheaper Anthem X2 26er from Pauls for £1100 for the rest of the time and call it horses for courses!

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m1b0s1p494 ... M-X-2-2013
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    The Anthem 26er is a brilliant bike. Rockmonkey can give you the full low-down on those. And that spec is great (except the brakes, Giant have never believed in great brakes). I'd buy it.

My 29er ownership story: everything they say about 29ers rolling over stuff is true - they make better use of grip than 26ers too. The large Anthem 29er was a great fit and it climbed beautifully - riding it made me smile. I test rode it and liked it so much I paid the deposit there and then. After owning it for 6 months, it was stolen. I ended up on a Trance 26 and it's much easier to chuck about, but it isn't as fast in a straight line.

You're right about the specs of the newer Giants - they do step down the spec year on year, but the Anthem 29er is a very, very good ride. Sometimes, a bike is not just a collection of bits - it's how the bits work together and feel as a complete package.

I really would suggest test rides. Don't get quite so hung up on the spec - go for what rides the best (in your experience) - and try to get as much experience as possible!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • rockmonkeysc
    As components prices rise manufacturers have two options. Maintain prices but lower specs or maintain specs but raise prices.
    Giant have always gone for maintaining prices of tgeir bikes.
  • mattham
    Was on the Whyte website looking at the T129 again, and saw this...

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/t-130 ... b/t-130-s/

No idea if its better/worse/different to the 29'er but to me it looks the dogs danglies :D

Might make me re-think where I'm going with a new bike when I finally get round to it.... :lol:
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As mentioned above go and look at the bikes and do some test rides. The bikes you mention are all fine it is more down to personal preference, much like wheel size.
  • Toyman
    Toyman Posts: 12
    what about Canyons? All reviews are very favorable
  • jndb72
    jndb72 Posts: 629
    Got the Whyte T129 Works and love it. It's a very rapid bike. Pretty much full XT across the board. Looks like a 29er but dosen't ride like one in that it dosen't feel big or clumsy.

Ridden most of the Welsh trail centres (including most runs at BPW) and has handled everything I've thrown at it with plenty to spare.

Highly reccomed then.

Cheers
    2011 Canyon Nerve AM 5.0
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Disc

I might have alzheimer's but atleast I don't have alzheimer's
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    MattHam wrote:
    Was on the Whyte website looking at the T129 again, and saw this...

http://whyte.bike/gb/models/trail/t-130 ... b/t-130-s/

No idea if its better/worse/different to the 29'er but to me it looks the dogs danglies :D

Might make me re-think where I'm going with a new bike when I finally get round to it.... :lol:

does indeed look the muts nuts that
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I have the Whyte T129s and i love it , very fast rolls great with the wagon wheels and it turns as well as my mates bikes who moastly ride 26 ers . Great spec for the money i havent upgraded anything on it yet and ive had it 3 months which isnt like me . To me the Whyte was a bit different from the specialized , giant etc plus the spec is far better than you would get from either of those 2 bikes especially giant their spec is appalling for the money.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • mattham
    To complete this thread, I purchased a Whyte T129 a couple of weeks ago.

I tried the Camber Evo and I tried the S version T129 and loved them both actually and still couldn't decide so was looking to sort out a ride on an Anthem, but when the deal came up for the T129 non S version, I couldn't turn it down, knowing that I already really liked the Whyte.

Got it for under £1400 with the retailer discount, a cashback offer from Topcashback and the loyalty points to be converted to spend at the retailer.

It was the most wife friendly solution I had in the end as well, which frankly, was pretty important.

Only been out a couple of times in anger, but first impressions are great, the big wheels just fly and don't really feel that much different in terms of agility to my old 26er hardtail, at least to me anyway. It feels much more planted on the downs, a combination of geometrical and technological development in the 8 years between this and my old bike no doubt.

Only thing I would say is that the SRAM gears are a bit hit and miss compared to my 8 year old Deore LX which was perfect everytime - this seems to 'clank' into gear, and sometimes it has missed a change when I press the lever. It probably just needs a bit of adjusting, but it doesn't feel that great even when it works.

However, the Elixir 3 brakes are much better than I thought they would be at the moment, hope that continues.

Still need to find the perfect rear shock settings, I'm not getting all of the travel I expect just yet. I guess some of it is due to it needing to loosen up as its new, but I definitely haven't got the pressure and rebound perfect yet either.

All in all, really loving it and enjoying my first full susser and the extra confidence and hence speed I feel I am carrying.

All of the advice here and in a couple of other threads I contributed to was really helpful and I'm grateful for it.

Ta
    Matt