Disc wheelset for road

backo
backo Posts: 167
edited September 2014 in Cyclocross
Evening all,

Picking up a caadx disc 2015 this weekend and want a 2nd set of wheels for commuting on the road. Have bought a pair of 28mm road tyres in advance.

Looking to spend £200 max. Original plan was to buy 2nd hand but after scouring the internet im struggling. especially as the bike is 11speed.

Not after anything super light, say just under the 2kg mark. Ideally something like flucrum 7s but of the disc variety

Looking at new, the crosslights look good but just over my budget. Also remerx masterdisc but have never heard of these nor find any reviews.

Anyone any recomendations?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• djp66
    djp66 Posts: 115
    I had the same dilemma recently, my plan was to build a bike and therefore needed to find wheels to be used on road mainly but could fit a disc equipped CX bike.

I couldn't find any that I liked for the amount you have budgeted, the Kinesis CXDisc wheels looked promising but they are £300 ( I'm sure you can get them for less if you hunt ). In the end I had Paolo (Ugo) build me some on hubs I supplied for a reasonable price. Depending on where you are, it might be worth sending him a PM as you might be surprised.

The only reason I haven't ridden on them yet is my plan changed a bit and the CX bike build isn't complete. Although the wheels are all shiny and new, sitting in my garage waiting impatiently for the day when they can be used.
  • backo
    thanks djp...I have started to think about hand builds as the way forward.

With my current road bike commuter, I normally just buy cheap factory wheels (R500s or fulcrum 7s) as I know they will get trashed during winter and im happy to pay £100 or so every year for a new set. The wheels never need any servicing during their lifespan but they get binned because the brake tracks wear down after 6-7k of miles.

but with discs the brake tracks obviously wont wear down so im thinking to "invest" in some handbuilts.

im assuming if I keep on top of the servicing of the hubs then there is no reason why the wheels wont last a lot longer than the ones above.

Anyone know the expected lifespan of hubs, providing they have been serviced? Im reckoning the quality of the hubs may be a big factor!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Ugo will build you some Archetypes on Novatec hubs, around £300 ;-) The hubs have cartridge bearings that are easily replaced.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    backo wrote:
    Anyone know the expected lifespan of hubs, providing they have been serviced? Im reckoning the quality of the hubs may be a big factor!

Predictably I do maintain my hubs... I've had a pair of Novatec 711/712 for two years, probably done just short of 10,000 miles. I then purchased a different set, replaced the bearings on the old ones, which became as new and built them for a guy that was looking for a bargain.
    In theory there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do 100,000 miles on a set of hubs, as long as you replace the bearings when it's time and you look after the freehub. Only a crack in the flange can send them to the graveyard prematurely. I don't have direct experience of hubs that I built and cracked, so I can't really tell you stay away from X or get Y instead.
    With hubs you don't necessarily get what you pay for... meaning some expensive ones are little more than junk
    left the forum March 2023
  • backo
    thanks for your responses.....handbuilts are starting to make sense......I know from previous threads you rate the novatecs and i think they can only be bought direct from the far east...which im happy to do.

ugo, Im in the NW, do you ship your wheels or am I better to use someone local....Paul Hewitt is pretty close to me.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    backo wrote:
    thanks for your responses.....handbuilts are starting to make sense......I know from previous threads you rate the novatecs and i think they can only be bought direct from the far east...which im happy to do.

ugo, Im in the NW, do you ship your wheels or am I better to use someone local....Paul Hewitt is pretty close to me.
    Try www.sdeals.com for UK-supplied Novatecs at very competitive prices. (My only connection with them is as a satisifed customer, but they left a very nice handwritten note in my last order, asking me to tell my friends about them).
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    TGOTB wrote:
    Try http://www.sdeals.com for UK-supplied Novatecs at very competitive prices. (My only connection with them is as a satisifed customer, but they left a very nice handwritten note in my last order, asking me to tell my friends about them).

+1, I used them too and got a handwritten note. I think its run by a Dad and his son...they actually sent me a different rear hub to the one I ordered, but what they sent was actually better and what I wanted!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • backo
    thats brill thanks for that
  • y33stu
    y33stu Posts: 376
    I had the same issue. I ended up going for a set of 29er Mountain bike wheels, as they are also 700c. Just need to check the widths to make sure they take 28mm, and the disc bolt fitments - 6 Bolt or Centre lock. You can get a converter from centre lock to 6 bolt.

I went for these - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mavi ... prod111099

My review, pretty basic wheels. Fine for commuting, but you wouldn't want to be racing on them. Not quick enough for that.
    Cycling prints
    Band of Climbers
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    backo wrote:

Nope... yes, use someone local, always best
    left the forum March 2023
  • backo
    Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought!
  • backo
    afternoon all, have now decided upon some handbuilts and have purchased some H plus sons archetype rims.

Plan was to build with novatec d711sb/d712sb hubs but really really struggling to find anyone selling these hubs in white and for 11 speed.

Have come across the following ebay listing from what appears to be a reputable seller. The hubs seem to fit the bill but they are advertised as D712SB-AA rather than D712SB..no idea what the AA means??

Have tried to investigate this but would someone mind confirming that they will do the job so I can buy them?

The measurements for the hubs appear ok

Many thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOVATEC-D711SB- ... 4ad565ba1a