Electronic parking brake/handbrake - thoughts/opinions?

imposter2.0
imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
edited August 2014 in The cake stop
Anyone here have any experience of 'electronic' handbrakes like those fitted to the newer Vauxhalls (in particular) or other cars? Apparently they are relatively commonplace now, although I had genuinely never heard of them before I went car shopping the other day.

Functionally, they seem ok, but are there any issues with reliability or fundamental drawbacks?

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I'm quite impressed with the one on my Audi, though it is a bit 'nannying' if I try to drive without its permission (i.e. moving the car 3 ft without wearing a seatbelt). Obviously I'll hate it when it goes wrong and I need to buy a £420 Handbrake ECU rather than a £10 handbrake cable.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Had one on the company motor and it was odd to start with, however I quite liked it after I got used to it and left more room in the cockpit of the car. Think there are quite a few manufactures now offering these so looks like they are here to stay.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Does it still let you do a hand brake turn or does the computer say no :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    arran77 wrote:
    Does it still let you do a hand brake turn or does the computer say no :lol:

no :(

but you get used to it surprisingly quickly
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    my company Vauxhall has one and tbh you can completely over ride it by just using the normal HB as if it didn't have a electronic one, the older versions that used only a button were a nightmare, I never got the hang of it.
    No reliability issues at all.
    and yes h/b turns - in a Vauxhall - are just as easy, so don't worry.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Fantastic for safety. Hill hold is also another great asset for us van drivers.
    Modern tech is awesome and one of the only reasons many can actually get a decent insurance quote.
    Living MY dream.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    VTech wrote:
    Modern tech is awesome and one of the only reasons many can actually get a decent insurance quote.

Van driver!? Blimey, that's a bit of a climb down, unless Lambo' now make Luton top vans.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thanks for all the replies so far..
    VTech wrote:

Out of interest - how much software is there in these electronic handbrakes, or is it mainly just switches and servos..?
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Imposter wrote:
    Thanks for all the replies so far..
    VTech wrote:

Out of interest - how much software is there in these electronic handbrakes, or is it mainly just switches and servos..?

Its completely software controlled. The new range of MED17 and EDC17 ECU's are amazing and I'm flying out next week to do more testing on the EDC18 which is on another level again.

As for the van, its my daily driver, I drive a 9 seater Ford Custom and love it.
    Living MY dream.
  • My Peugeot 3008 has this feature. It felt really odd at first. Now had it for about 6 months and I'm just about used to it. Hill starts need to be practiced.
    There's no such thing as too old.
  • stoveman
    stoveman Posts: 125
    Had one on my Discovry 3 and quite liked it until it went wrong and cost the thick end of £800 to replace the sensors etc.Have now got one on my new Laguna sport and really like it.
    Great for hill starts as with the renault system,when the revs hit a certain level and you hit the clutch and take up drive it auto releases.
  • My old Jaguar had an electronic park brake. It wasn't too bad at all, but it almost never got used as the car was an automatic. My new Volvo has one too, but the transmission is noticeably poorer quality than the Jaguar's so I tend to use the handbrake. Not had any problems yet, but it's only been 4 months.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,459
    I drove a Polo with an electronic handbrake with the switch positioned under the steering wheel and it drove me mad - you couldn't see it and it was a completely unnatural arrangement when you're used to it being next to the gear stick.

Last weekend I drove an automatic Golf with bluemotion engine cut out thing and automatic electronic handbrake, it felt very strange but I'm sure you'd get used to it. I did manage to get briefly stuck in a petrol station when I couldn't work out how to get the thing to turn back off, which was a bit embarrasing
  • cubedean
    cubedean Posts: 670
    My espace has the electronic handbrake. it's quite good although if you have to deploy the emergency release it must go back to renault to be reset.....unless the tech guy lets slip of a way to reset it yourself. ;)
  • I have a push button one on my Volvo and it works extremely well. When you pull away on a hill start you can't feel it release it is so smooth. It feels a bit unnatural at first, and the push / pull seemed to me instinctively the wrong way round after a normal handbrake.

That said, I've heard a number of horror stories of locked on handbrakes that couldn't be released due to low batteries etc. By preference, I'd choose a manual version just to avoid that risk.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    By preference, I'd choose a manual version just to avoid that risk.
    Same here. The Audi has a small switch nest to the gearstick. On long journeys, when I get a little bored, I sometimes find my fingers on the switch without realising it. Hopefully I never put it on by mistake but that was never a risk with a manual version.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    I hate them - WTF was wrong with tried and tested technology without going all techy ? and when they dont work properly its a nightmare
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,371
    Got one on my Golf (and on my last 4 or 5 Golfs) together with automatic "parking" when in neutral at junctions (engine also goes off and starts again when clutch is depressed).

No issues at all except for not being able to HB turn. The autoparking/engine cut out all lead to fewer emissions and therefore lower VED (mine is £0 per year)
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    Used to have one on my last car, an automatic. Saved me burning the retinas out of the driver behind at traffic lights, as I didn't have to rest my foot on the brake.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I will end in tears, just you wait and see...
  • Had one on a Renault Scenic. Great to use.
    Just about the only thing on the car that didn't break. :oops:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Mate has had his Audi A4 for 2 years now and still hates it. His garage drive has a slope down towards the front and he still finds it hard work and temperamental - to the point that he tries to use his missus car whenever the drive might be icy...

Another mate had his fail on a Jag and it cost several hundred pounds to get it fixed.

One of the reasons I dread having to change my car in the future...
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    Had one on a Renault Scenic. Great to use.
    Just about the only thing on the car that didn't break. :oops:

It was just a matter of time. You obviously sold it soon enough.