Hip protection shorts

cdg572
cdg572 Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in MTB general
I'm currently in recovery after a simple fall on my mountain bike which resulted in me me breaking my femur going into my hip. As soon as I can I want to get back out on MTB as I already feel the fall has knocked my confidence.

Can anyone recommend any hip protection shorts.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Troy Lee do quite a good one but don't expect anything to prevent broken bones, padded shorts will reduce minor impacts a little but nothing is going to stop broken bones other than staying on the bike.
  • asdfhjkl
    asdfhjkl Posts: 333
    If you're going to spend money on something to build your confidence riding again, why not go on a skills course? It'll give you more confidence in your riding abilities, knowing you're doing things "right".
  • cdg572
    cdg572 Posts: 4
    In my defence, I would class myself as a reasonable cyclist & off roader - however it was a very unlucky accident and a very simple trial, just a very silly fall.

Wondered if anyone used any padded shorts, if so what brand.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I use them for downhill but to be honest I only tend to use them in winter. Too warm for summer and protection is minimal. Nice and warm in the winter.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    Started out with a pair of 661 subs which are OK, then got a pair of Alpine stars Bionic - excellent upper leg hard shell protection but pretty much the same sort of soft padding on the hip area - which I managed to land on last time I was at BPW! Still helped stop me getting hurt.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]