Ford Transit Connect?

rhysyd
rhysyd Posts: 141
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Thinking of buying a 2nd hand small Ford Transit Connect van (small wheel base) I have searched the internet for dimensions but just a bit confused on the sizing in the back.

As anybody got small wheel based ford transit connect, does a usual mountain bike fit in the back?

Cheers guys

Comments

• We have them at work, a bike will fit sideways if you turn the front wheel 90 degrees so they're bound to fit longways.

If you want exact dimensions let me know.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I used to have one. As above, a bike will fit in, but not straight in, only at an angle. Also, mine was pretty bad on fuel. Only doing about 32 mpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be aware that if it's a van (not a dual purpose vehicle with 2 rows of seats or the Tourneo) it is limited to van speed limits.

(50 on a single carriageway, 60 on a dual and then 70 on a motorway).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh?

Also double toll on the M4 to Wales if that makes a difference to you.
  • welshkev
    Eh?

Also double toll on the M4 to Wales if that makes a difference to you.

if the "eh?" was for the speed limit thing, then yeah, as I found out getting 3 points for doing 70mph on a dual carriageway :evil:
  • Chunkers1980
    yeah - wow - didn't know that.

Looks like I've been lucky all these years.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aren't those the speed limits for anything?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    cooldad wrote:

no, 60, 70, 70. for cars - but I think there is some exceptions.
  • Chunkers1980
    Cars. Duel carriage way has not just got to be duel but if it has a National Speed limit sign then for it to be 70mph (rather than 60) is must have a central reservation (only thing not sure on is what exactly counts a central reservation)
  • Unless it's not a van...

Stick a sleeping bag in the back and a kip mat and claim it's a campervan then the speed limit restriction doesn't apply.
  • Chunkers1980
    For info: That doesn't work on the toll it must have a fixed sink and cooker and they have been known to get out of their booth and look!
  • cooldad
    welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I do struggle with speed limits here - just seem to be loads of different size random signs.

Did my licence in the colonies where life is simpler.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    cooldad wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

I do struggle with speed limits here - just seem to be loads of different size random signs.

Drive to the end of the road, turn around, come back, stop... congratulations my good man, you've passed! Tally ho! :D
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • cooldad
    CitizenLee wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    welshkev wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Drive to the end of the road, turn around, come back, stop... congratulations my good man, you've passed! Tally ho! :D
    You laugh. Just as I started my test there was a massive storm. The tester gave me the option to carry on or reschedule.
    Being a manly colonial type I carried on. Drove round the corner and she (for it was not a he) said it was too dangerous to drive and to pull over. I did, we sat for an hour, the rain stopped, I drove a few yards back, and passed. Frighteningly, only just.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rhysyd
    rhysyd Posts: 141
    The Rookie wrote:
    Be aware that if it's a van (not a dual purpose vehicle with 2 rows of seats or the Tourneo) it is limited to van speed limits.

Does that apply for a brand new 14 plate?!
  • welshkev
    rhysyd wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

why wouldn't it? it's still a van right?
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    The Rookie wrote:

Unless it's a car derived van under 2 tonnes. Not sure if the connect is (I believe it may be based on a ford fusion).
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    welshkev wrote:
    rhysyd wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

why wouldn't it? it's still a van right?
    Seems like a fairly arbitrary set of numbers to me.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    Antm81 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

Unless it's a car derived van under 2 tonnes. Not sure if the connect is (I believe it may be based on a ford fusion).

yeah but it's still a van. it's not a 'fusion van' the same way that a fiesta version is a 'fiesta van'

but you may be right.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    welshkev wrote:
    Antm81 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:

yeah but it's still a van. it's not a 'fusion van' the same way that a fiesta version is a 'fiesta van'

but you may be right.

I believe I might of jumped the gun slightly, according to hmrc, a fiesta van is car derived but the connect has to be the crew van.
  • The Rookie
    The Connect is derived from MkI Focus but has an MAM 0f 2040Kg so the van (Light Goods Vehicle) speed limits apply - all in the highway code.

Of course any road can have a lower limit than the National limit applied, even motorways!

A dual carriageways has a physical divide between the opposing carriageways, grass, kerbs, barriers all count, white paint on tarmac does not.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    Unless it's not a van...

Stick a sleeping bag in the back and a kip mat and claim it's a campervan then the speed limit restriction doesn't apply.

Claiming it's a camper van doesn't make it a camper van. It has to be classified as one on the V5 and to do that there are fairly strict criteria.
  • The Rookie
    Close, a DPV should be listed on the V5C as such, but it is what it is that counts and not what is in the V5C, dealers frequently register new DPV's wrongly. As you say, sticking a mattress in the back doesn't make it a camper van or a DPV (Dual Purpose Vehicle).
  • Chunkers1980
    Just don't get caught and all's good whatever. ;-)
  • The Rookie
    Not getting caught will mean obeying the limits (realistically), hence why I thought it wise to make sure he was aware of the differences!
    Camera van operators are well aware of what vehicles are, or are not LGV's.
  • Chunkers1980
    Indeed. I didn't know those differences in limits, vehicle and road types - so thanks.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Back to the original question.
    Most connects will have a type of gate behind the passenger seat. (But not if the van has a solid bulkhead, the mesh type is fine) The passenger seat folds flat, open the gate and the load area on that side of the van then reaches all the way to just short of the glove box. Obviously you lose the passenger seat while using it like this. As mentioned, you can fit a bike in diagonally without opening the gate. I usually take the front wheel off though as my van also has a load of tools and junk in it.
    If a main reason for the van is to carry bikes though, the lwb connect fits bikes perfectly if you can get one of them. Much better.