General Advice Sought...

debeli
debeli Posts: 583
edited September 2014 in The cake stop
I am recently returned from a summer break and have the following questionettes:

1. Sorrel. What is it? How does one eat it? It is now clear that I sowed some sorrel seeds thinking they were something else. It has prospered and looks yummy (flat green leaves with scarlet veins) but I have no idea how to use it. Any cooks out there?

2. Repairs to a roofbox: I returned from overseas with a cracked roofbox. The malefactor was a height restriction in a subterraenean car park near Les Invalicdes. That and my forgetting that there was a box on the roof.... The box survived pretty well, but there is a longitudinal crack along each side of the lid, each about 90cm long. My feeling is that fibreglass repair gunk will do it. Are there any clever tricks I need to consider before sticking my hands to the item I'm repairing?

3. Recipes for pears and figs: Anyone got any yummy ones? Both are falling off the trees this week and our usual fallback of warming them slowly with butter and honey is starting to get a bit 'samey'. They are not obvious pie or crumble material. Any good recipes?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Debeli wrote:
    I am recently returned from a summer break and have the following questionettes:

1. Sorrel. What is it? How does one eat it? It is now clear that I sowed some sorrel seeds thinking they were something else. It has prospered and looks yummy (flat green leaves with scarlet veins) but I have no idea how to use it. Any cooks out there?

2. Repairs to a roofbox: I returned from overseas with a cracked roofbox. The malefactor was a height restriction in a subterraenean car park near Les Invalicdes. That and my forgetting that there was a box on the roof.... The box survived pretty well, but there is a longitudinal crack along each side of the lid, each about 90cm long. My feeling is that fibreglass repair gunk will do it. Are there any clever tricks I need to consider before sticking my hands to the item I'm repairing?

3. Recipes for pears and figs: Anyone got any yummy ones? Both are falling off the trees this week and our usual fallback of warming them slowly with butter and honey is starting to get a bit 'samey'. They are not obvious pie or crumble material. Any good recipes?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

1. Treat it like baby spinach, it is tasty and is really nice sauteed in a little butter with some garlic and bacon.

2. Gaffer tape and heavy duty staples.

3. Pears and figs are great for starters with the sorrell and a bit of salty crumbly cheese. Alternatively make home made fig and pear rolls, they are awesome.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Sorrel soup, stock and a bit of potato is great with some sour cream
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    1... Cannabis farm got off to a bad start then? :-)

Cant help with 2 or 3
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Cut a cross half way down each fig from top. Squeeze from bottom to open. Wrap bacon/prosciutto around each fig.Put a chunk of goats cheese in the open cross. Lots of black pepper. Roast in oven.

Not sure about cooking sorrel, but i've had the soup and it was pretty good.
  • Woooo, forum based cooking advice. These babies were plucked from my tree this morning and prepped as per the above...

39A960A9-8D1C-40BF-B858-26D6283D0731_zps84sqruaz.jpg
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,424
    Fig and orange crumble recipe...
    Slice figs, drizzle with honey, add slices of peeled orange, add Cointreau, top with crumble, tastes like rhubarb crumble, serve with creme fresh.

Alternatively place whole figs onto BBQ, the natural sugar caramelise, again serve with creme fresh.

Sorrel recipe with a difference...
    Sorrel contains oxalic acid, so use it as a chrome cleaner on your chrome forks of your old steel bike. :D

40eff320-f4a9-434e-b9ac-70ae5001d4bc.jpg
    my isetta is a 300cc bike