Cheap Chinese torches Tips for users

cooldad
cooldad Posts: 32,599
edited August 2014 in MTB general
My opinions:
2) Be careful of laptop cells - they are often not protected as protection is built into the pack electronics. Unprotected Li ion batteries are dangerous.
3) Never skimp on chargers. (see 2)
I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you have a $3 house and dont mind standing in the cold while the Fire Brigade damps down the smouldering remains of your home then buy a $3 battery charger.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I have a tip, definintely DON'T buy a $3 charger unless, as in the previous post, you want your house to catch fire.

Buy spare batteries
    Buy fire-proof charging bags
    buy the correct UK chargers (I got mine from the magicshine website)

Do all that and you'll have a relatively safe set of lights for still not a lot of money.

Apparently a diffuser helps too.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    But if you're Australian or live in Australia, fill your boots.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Some Aussies dont like us brits but that's a bit far
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Some Aussies dont like us brits but that's a bit far

At least he will be able to barbie some Shrimp on his burning battery charger
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    A cheap charger doesn't have to get hot. The wiring just has to fail, once. Or do a bit of overcharging.

So you are relying on old batteries, a cheap charger and a cheap Chinese torch all to be perfectly safe?

Seriously, there's penny pinching, and then there's stupidity.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    cyd190468 wrote:
    1) If it has discharged below 2.5v throw it away
    They never get over 2.5V a cell!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    Li Ion are 3.7v
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • My view...

Buy a cheap chinese torch.
    Use it until it blows up/dies.
    Buy another.
    Maintain smugness around others that have bought overpriced branded lights as these chinese ones cost 1/10th of the price.

I've got 4 torches and 2 lamps, spend no more than £80... but the lamps are 3 years old now and still going strong!
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    My view...

Buy a cheap chinese torch.
    Use it until it blows up/dies.
    Buy another.
    Maintain smugness around others that have bought overpriced branded lights as these chinese ones cost 1/10th of the price.

I've got 4 torches and 2 lamps, spend no more than £80... but the lamps are 3 years old now and still going strong!

this^^^^

I've had my magic shine and 2 cheap torches for 3 years now and it's still going strong. I did have to buy a new battery pack for the magicshine as the old one would lose charge after about 30 mins, but other than that, all good. and as NM said, it's cost me about £80
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    cyd190468 wrote:
    "A cheap charger doesn't have to get hot. The wiring just has to fail, once. Or do a bit of overcharging"
    I did mention you should monitor the maximum charge voltage. Plus over here a short in the wiring won't cause a fire as safety switches are mandatory so any sort of electrical fault in the charger just makes the power go out. The only real risk of fire is from over-charging so you monitor the voltage or from charging a bad battery ie one that has over-discharged. Does anyone have a fire story that doesn't involve either a battery pack or a multi-cell torch? I can't find one.
    Which is why you put them in a fire-resistant charging pouch.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cooldad
    I charge half a dozen cells a day for my various ecigs. Decent quality batteries and a good charger, never left on overnight or while I'm out. Simple.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools