Cyclocross commuting bike

Paulg879
Paulg879 Posts: 8
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
I know you guys on here must be sick of the "which bike should I get?" question but I'm told you are the guys to speak to?!

I've narrowed it down to Raleigh RX Elite Cross Sora 2014 or the Verenti Substance CX1.1 Sora 2014. They seem to my untrained eye to be very similar. Would appreciate your views.

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Only go Cross if most of your route is off road. Otherwise a road bike with discs like this is more suited:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuj ... e-ec055667

There's not a great deal between them but if you buy a Crosser you'll need to also buy road tyres.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • BSRU
    BSRU Posts: 74
    A cross bike offers discs, more clearance for larger tyres/mudguards and often mounts for a pannier rack.
    I have a Croix de Fer, not the lightest CX bike around but it does the job very well.
    Not as fast as my road bike, which is over 7kg lighter, but just as much fun :) .
  • I cycle about 5 miles on towpaths, so a CX bike has been recommended. Can't understand why the Raleigh is more expensive than the Verenti.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Check the location of rear brake
    Chainstay location is compatible with rack and panniers.
    Seatstay disks interfere .
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Wiggle have the Raleigh on sale at the mo;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raleigh-rx-elit ... 5360620359

If you are 'only' doing 5 miles each way you would probably get away with using a rucksack and not bothering about a rack so just get what bike you fancy(and fits you).I've got the Planet X cross bike which has no fittings for 'guards or a rack and it's been fine for commutes so far and I even managed to fit some crud road racer guards on after a little faff;dunno if they re staying on yet though.

Oh and Vittoria randonneur pro tyres are ace for loose cycle paths and cheap from Planet X at the mo.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    "I've got the Planet X cross bike which has no fittings for 'guards or a rack and it's been fine for commutes so far and I even managed to fit some crud road racer guards on after a little faff;dunno if they re staying on yet though."

Eyelets don't have any disadvantage for commuting so why omit them? You only end up trying to hack the bike to fit clamp-on rack and 'guards.
  • Is there a reason I can't see for the list price for the Raleigh being £200 more than the Verenti??
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,462
    It doesn't really matter what the list price is does it? The Raleigh is £80 cheaper.
  • Just trying to understand why there is that much difference in price.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    What's the towpath like? I've ridden my ancient steel road bike on the towpath behind our house. One way is gravel surface, the other a grassy surface with at best a single muddy line to follow. My bike is a 20+ year old Raleigh road bike with Reynolds 501 tubing and 23 tyres. I got a hybrid last year for those slower family rides but even with front suspension the ride isn't that much better. Perhaps a road bike with wider tyres might be OK. It really does depend on the terrain I think. BTW I once took an old sports bike (a Dawes bike back when I was a kid) over a trail that crossed part of the forest of Bowland. My Dad was with me on his ancient Italian steed too.

You'd be surprised what old steel framed bike can take. A decent road bike might take your route too.
  • tangled_metal
    Do some brands put high list prices then discount heavily to the real price, which could be lower than rivals, to create image of a prestige product going for a steal when it's just the real price of the product??? Especially if the brand is not highly respected like Raleigh.

In America I believe it's the J C Penny way of doing business.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    The Raleigh hasn't got disc brakes which, in my opinion, are worth having.
  • The towpath has recently been upgraded from grass/mud line to loose gravel, it's quite good. Think the disc breaks on the Verenti are winning it for me at the mo.
  • bigmonka
    bigmonka Posts: 361
    I've been eyeing up the Verenti for quite a while now and it does look good. Don't forget that British Cycling members get at least 12% off Wiggle's prices which I seem to remember brings the cost down to about £540.
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    Do some brands put high list prices then discount heavily to the real price, which could be lower than rivals, to create image of a prestige product going for a steal when it's just the real price of the product??? Especially if the brand is not highly respected like Raleigh.

This.

The practice is widespread in retail: http://www.theguardian.com/business/201 ... cing-scams

"…the overall average of sales of items at the reference price was just 5%.…"

"OFT research has found that reference pricing can mislead consumers into thinking the item they have bought is of higher value and quality, pressure them to buy there and then so they don't 'miss out' on the deal and also impair their judgment, as buying an item immediately means they do not get the chance to search the market for the real best deals."
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • The man at Wiggle says the Raleigh is more expensive because of a better quality frame and wheelset.
  • tangled_metal
    20+ years ago I got my first proper road bike. I shopped around and took advice from LBS in the towns around where I lived. Numerous catalogues read, specifications, etc. Looked at gear mech, frame material, gearing, etc. It was before internet.

I found you could get a good frame, Reynolds 520, but poor gears at my price point. Or you could get good gears with poor frame, no branded tubing or double butting. For some reason my Raleigh had a Reynolds 501 frame with what was reasonable gears, equivalent to tiagra now I think. Got it and it's still going strong.

Anyway, my point is you never get what you really want without spending more, and that just leads to blank cheques as there's always a bit more to get. It's a compromise. Back then I was searching for something about £150 more than I had to spend. I was very lucky I got something about £75 cheaper than it should have been for its spec. This verenti looks a bit like that but I think Raleigh frames might be better. I think it's lighter. Does it have fittings for upgrading to disc brakes in the future? Used to say get the best frame you can as you can always upgrade the rest.
  • Good advice