Trying to build a park

Herdwick
Herdwick Posts: 523
edited August 2014 in MTB general
We thought we needed some sort of a park to save some time running at the trails and build something on our own, just for the heck of it.

Finally we got roughly 2.5 km of trail with ramps, jumps, drop offs and what ever we thought was a good idea to build for riding. Neither of us had any experience building such a thing but we gave it a go, mainly EU pallets were used and some thick squared wooden poles to connect the pallets, nailed them together and we were done :idea:

so tell me what you thing, is it going to work? or get my motocross suit and hope for the best?

If any one did this before is welcome to give some advice, notes and pics!!!!

IMG_20140816_112250.jpg.html
IMG_20140816_112538.jpg.html
this is finished, a gap ramp
IMG_20140816_091745.jpg.html
the building of a trapezoid one...

IMG_20140816_112142.jpg.html
“I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

Comments

• Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Pics not working.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Herdwick
    Never gona make these links to work :x

here's the album link

http://s1058.photobucket.com/user/ViDeO ... t=3&page=1
    “I am a humanist, which means, in part, that I have tried to behave decently without expectations of rewards or punishments after I am dead.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Herdwick
    don't know what the hell I'm doing wrong! tried different way's but can't make it :oops:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The movable jump thing is probably not ideal, why not just build jumps out of dirt? Easier to change the shape of the jump and more likely to give you a good lip and solid landing.

As for the other thing - not sure what its supposed to be? Wall ride? I'd let someone else test that out.....
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Herdwick
    Aha! that suppose to be a wall ride but not done yet,Oh that, nothing is movable, in fact it's well planted. the pic was shot mid phase. Yea.. the lip thing is something that needs work, some trimming of the edge may help cause it kicks the back end like a mad bull... making landing on your face way easier.... working on it

Not dirt because needs to much work and is not a project of two man crew. need hands and a mini digger or something plus the area is about 1/2 foot deep soil and solid rock beyond that so no way of digging to pile up ramp
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Never build with pallets, they will rot in no time and the first you will know about it is when it collapses under you. They are really weak anyway.
    Your jumps have no shape to them, building with dirt is good because you can get a much better shape and if you don't like it then you break out the shovel and change it.
    Dirt takes a little longer to build with but the results are better and it will last longer.
    The main thing I don't like about building with pallets is when they rot, or you get bored of them who will take the wood away and dispose of it responsibly?
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Yeah pallets aren't great

A secret trail near me has been build using mainly pallets and one of them has broken and the other stolen...
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At my local trails the forestry commission remove any wood they find and destroy the rest of the feature it was in.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Not sure where the OP lives but it looks like an area where wood rot is perhaps less of an issue than it is in the SW of England.

But I concur.

Cant dig down - get soil brought in and shape on top. Pump tracks are best built with top soil and would be a good start point for your park.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    At my local trails the forestry commission remove any wood they find and destroy the rest of the feature it was in.

yep, same here and then they start to demolish other trails too as their "rules" (a loose mutual agreement) are not to build ladders, road gaps that are dangerous to other forestry users etc. so when they see pallets etc being used they get peed off.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    welshkev wrote:

yep, same here and then they start to demolish other trails too as their "rules" (a loose mutual agreement) are not to build ladders, road gaps that are dangerous to other forestry users etc. so when they see pallets etc being used they get peed off.
    Pallets are crap anyway.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    ilovedirt wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Pallets are crap anyway.

yes they are, but you still see people who know no better using them.
  • Herdwick
    Ohhh come on, this is our first attempt to build something, we all learn along the way, do we?

The rotting here isn't an issue at least for a couple of years, the pallets are 1'' thick oak wood so sturdy enough for the job. Using them on other house projects as well with no probs Garden sheds and fence etc
    Will upgrade as we go on if permission granted, the project is on private land owned by the church, who they run a local cycling club for all ages, but most of them youngsters, so we hope to get their full support on this... fingers crossed!!! 8)

We are by no means experts on building ramps/parks but took care most of the issues regarding safety, at least a soft and clean trail to land if something goes wrong, which it will. Other than that who ever rides is on it's own risk.
    Start to spread the word and the first impressions are good, at least from the riders community up here.
    Thanks for your inputs though and please keep em coming, even better tell about your local jumps you like/hate and why, photo will be a plus!
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Think it'll take a while for them pallets to rot! Where is this?
    Not much soil around for miles i guess too! Don't think the FC will be coming trashing it!

Hey, pallets might not be ideal, but looks like it's your best option, so build, ride, enjoy :mrgreen:
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Build first, ask questions later - probably not the best approach.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Herdwick
    Western part of middle east...Cyprus :)

Build first don't bother to ask is our moto, but hey this is how it's done here. If you ask first there is a straight forward answer, and that is NO. Because NO requires no further involvement from the ''authorities'' but when they face a fait accompli they will give some attention. There is a reason why we don't do well in anything down here!!! :mrgreen:
    ― Kurt Vonnegut
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Looks rough but also looks like it could be fun (well an experience at least). Have fun with it and improve it as you learn.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • 2x10
    2x10 Posts: 79
    In my ignorance I have to say it looks pretty good to me.I'd ride it.