Roompot (cf teams 2015)

specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Getting a bit lost here - this is a new Pro Conti team - and Belkin are getting sponsored solely by the lottery?
Bu6YbJpIQAArTEA.jpg

Comments

• So the Dutch Lotto team is the one that has announced the signings of Gesink, Kelderman and Kruisjwiik today?*

*by signings I kind of mean contract extensions
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Yep. Lotto is taking over (partly) Belkin, with at least Kelderman, Gesink, Kruiswijk, Ten Dam, Vanmarcke and Hofland

Orange/Roompot is a new team. Former Rabo riders/DS Erik Breukink and Michael Boogerd involved. No riders confirmed yet, but Hoogerland and Tjalingii are mentioned.
  • John Paul Van Poppel looks fir enough to still ride in that picture !
  • and Boogy still smiling
    1.jpg
  • Woah! I missed him with that bubble perm...

13777.jpg JPVP back in the day.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    edited August 2014
    FJS wrote:
    Orange/Roompot is a new team. Former Rabo riders/DS Erik Breukink and Michael Boogerd involved. No riders confirmed yet, but Hoogerland and Tjalingii are mentioned.

Reading The Chicken's bio, this is not a team to cheer for.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    ThomThom wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Oh shuttup.

This is so tiresome.
  • thomthom
    ThomThom wrote:
    FJS wrote:

Oh shuttup.

This is so tiresome.

Of course it's tiresome with these kind of guys. That's the f'ucking problem.

At least Boogerd fessed up prior to this announcement. Breukink is still hilarious.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    No. When you have 15 years of doping, you, unsurprisingly, will get a fair few people in managerial positions who have doped.

That doesn't mean they will encourage doping, or have anything to do with it as a manager. Boogerd is an extremely experience cyclist who has been through the mill re his doping admission in the Netherlands (though I guess because he doesn't do it in English it doesn't count). Breukink is a very experienced DS who knows a lot about how to run a team.

The problem isn't the people themselves. It's the environment which encourages them to dope. My understanding of the current situation is the risk/reward profile for doping nowadays isn't really conducive to doing any significant doping.

You'd think Breukink would understand the consequences of not keeping track of their own riders re doping better than most, given that inauspicious exit in 2007 by Rasmussen.

So yes, your chat is tiresome, and is beside the point.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    and Boogy still smiling
    1.jpg

Ahhhhhh.... how I miss those teeth, sso easy to spot in the peloton.
  • The-Flip-Top-Lid_The-Flip-Top-Head.jpg

Gary Imlach pulled that flip top head gag summer after summer with Boogie.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    No. When you have 15 years of doping, you, unsurprisingly, will get a fair few people in managerial positions who have doped.

That doesn't mean they will encourage doping, or have anything to do with it as a manager. Boogerd is an extremely experience cyclist who has been through the mill re his doping admission in the Netherlands (though I guess because he doesn't do it in English it doesn't count). Breukink is a very experienced DS who knows a lot about how to run a team.

The problem isn't the people themselves. It's the environment which encourages them to dope. My understanding of the current situation is the risk/reward profile for doping nowadays isn't really conducive to doing any significant doping.

You'd think Breukink would understand the consequences of not keeping track of their own riders re doping better than most, given that inauspicious exit in 2007 by Rasmussen.

So yes, your chat is tiresome, and is beside the point.

I really don't think it is besides the point. I think it is a very important point and one that is central to procycling and it's problems of sponsorship. That there is really no way of removing dopers from the sport is one thing, but to pretend that these people's previous misdeeds and their continued presence doesn't have an impact is naive. These are some of the men (who were involved in a much larger culture yes) who have made many people in the Nederlands involved in cycling or not think that cycling is a dirty drug fueled sport - whether it still is or not is irrelevant - perception is pretty much everything to sponsors and it really goes some way to explaining the total shambles of lack of money in Dutch cycling.

That people go on and on about 'some' people's involvement in cycling, mostly English speakers, while disregarding others is sadly an annoying practice. We can either not talk about anyone's involvement in the sport saying its irrelevant or we can be hypocrites and focus on only some. ThomThom has a fair point bringing up these people's past. I would be happy if we never dredged the depths but then if we're going to do it for some we have to do it for all.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Come on Hoogie, one last hurrah.
  • HOOGERLAND Johnny NED ANDRONI GIOCATTOLI ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Negotiation 08-13 08-14
    VAN GOETHEM Brian NED METEC - TKH CONTINENTAL CYCLINGTEAM ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    VERMELTFOORT Coen NED CYCLINGTEAM DE RIJKE ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    TJALLINGII Maarten NED BELKIN PRO CYCLING TEAM ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    LINDEMAN Bertjan NED RABOBANK DEVELOPMENT TEAM ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-06 08-13
    LAMMERTINK Maurits NED CYCLINGTEAM JO PIELS ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    KREDER Wesley NED WANTY – GROUPE GOBERT ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    KREDER Raymond NED GARMIN - SHARP ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    KREDER Michel NED WANTY – GROUPE GOBERT ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
    DE VRIES Berden NED CYCLINGTEAM JO PIELS ROOMPOT - ORANGE CYCLING TEAM Rumour 08-13
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I'd be concerned by Van Poppel's presence there. It seems that every team he works for disbands fairly soon after. (Not his doing, I think, but he seems to be cursed).

And what is that rabbit doing there?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    I'd be concerned by Van Poppel's presence there. It seems that every team he works for disbands fairly soon after. (Not his doing, I think, but he seems to be cursed).

And what is that rabbit doing there?

Dats der Roompot Rabbitkooskonijn.jpg
  • He's the mascot at each holiday park.
  • thomthom
    Dats der Roompot Rabbitkooskonijn.jpg

I can tell a mass murderer when I see one..

Creepy stuff.
  • But... she's only a little girl.