Hayes CX-5 (Expert) how to set them up?

gabriel959
gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
edited August 2014 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone is using these brakes? I have done around 500km on the CX bike since I bought it and the brakes have been great, but the front one is rubbing slightly with the rotor. I know you can use the little dial on the cable to "open" the pads but this does not seem to be making much difference as the rotor seems to be too close to the metal body of the brake to make a difference. Does anyone know how to fix this?

And finally, every how often should I change the brake pads and which ones can I buy?

Cheers,
Gabriel
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Open/close the pads until you are happy with the lever throw, then unscrew the caliper via the two bolts... squeeze the brake lever and tighten the two bolts while you squeeze the lever. Now it should be fine or need very minor adjustment to the inner pad. Job done
    left the forum March 2023
  • gabriel959
    Open/close the pads until you are happy with the lever throw, then unscrew the caliper via the two bolts... squeeze the brake lever and tighten the two bolts while you squeeze the lever. Now it should be fine or need very minor adjustment to the inner pad. Job done

Cheers ugo.

How about pad replacement? How many miles until they need changing? Do you recommend any pads in particular?
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,268
    Depends so much on conditions that it's impossible to tell. Replace them early, as when they get towards the end they crumble leaving you with no brakes. The Swisstop green no. 19 are very good and very pricey too. SUperstar make some cheap ones, I think
    left the forum March 2023
  • I ran the Hayes CX5's on my last cx bike. I changed my pads for the Superstar sintered pads when the orignal one wore down and loved them.
  • gabriel959
    I ran the Hayes CX5's on my last cx bike. I changed my pads for the Superstar sintered pads when the orignal one wore down and loved them.

Nice, do you know which model exactly as the drop down does not say Hayes CX5 at all?

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/s ... e-pads.htm
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
  • From memory it was the Y5's, although my account details haven't been migrated on the Superstar website yet so I can't confirm 100% by checking my previous order.