Solution to Clean Matte Frame

biLLyb0b
biLLyb0b Posts: 4
edited August 2014 in Your road bikes
Hello All,

Just wanted to see if anyone would chime in on what they use to keep their matte frame nice and clean to maintain the rich color?

Cervelo was nice enough to warranty my 2011 S5 VWD (glossy black with blue) frame and replace it with their 2013 model (matte gunmetal/white). The oil coming off our skin was easy to clean off with hot water and a microfiber towel, however I'm having trouble wiping off the black grime! It's irritating me! My research has concluded to using car washes for the vinyl wraps and/or motocycles, but is this safe for our frames? A lot of different brands mention that it keeps it "clean and provides a clear protectant to maintain the flat color" but does it also wipe off the dirt and grime?

Items I'm considering:
-Cycle Care Ruff Cutt Detailer
-303 Aerospace Spray

Here's my baby

Comments

• Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    IMHO the best thing is Aldi caravan cleaner.

I have used it for years on cars, boats, bikes etc.

Dilute it for a wash.
    Spray it on neat from a garden sprayer to remove dirt like brake dust grime etc.

After yesterday's dirt fest in London I sprayed my bike today. Left it for 10 minutes and then washed down with hot water and diluted cleaner. Looks like new.

And it is soooooooo cheap.

PS i have used 303 products. Very good, but overkill for bike washing.
  • What do you mean by overkill? 303 is too hardcore and spending more than necessary?
  • I just use Tesco's Furniture Polish at about 50p a can and apply with a cloth. Works well so far and if i get the lavender scented one my bike smells like summer time:P
  • Gaz777
    Gaz777 Posts: 84
    Poorboy's Spray and Wipe diluted 2:1 or 3:1 is a good, cost effective way of cleaning matte finish frames. Optimum No Rinse, fully diluted, is another decent option.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    What about Isopropyl Alcohol (IPA) to get rid of the last grime? I wipe down my Ti bike's tubes with it sometimes with some put on a bit of kitchen towel. No fingerprints or anything left after that. Cheap on eBay for a few litres. I didn't buy it to clean bikes! I have it anyway and just tried it on the bike, I use it for loads of things... drinking... cleaning patches of skin before jacking up ....etc etc.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    andyrooroo wrote:
    I just use Tesco's Furniture Polish at about 50p a can and apply with a cloth. Works well so far and if i get the lavender scented one my bike smells like summer time:P

Op should probably ignore this, whatever you do don't polish your matt frame.
  • lawrences wrote:
    andyrooroo wrote:
    I just use Tesco's Furniture Polish at about 50p a can and apply with a cloth. Works well so far and if i get the lavender scented one my bike smells like summer time:P

Really? Mine still looks matte...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    andyrooroo wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    andyrooroo wrote:

Depends on the final paint topcoat to some extent but I know shiny patches can be buffed into the bike which looks naff.

Or maybe tesco 50p polish is just really bad at polishing.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    lawrences wrote:
    andyrooroo wrote:
    lawrences wrote:
    andyrooroo wrote:

Depends on the final paint topcoat to some extent but I know shiny patches can be buffed into the bike which looks naff.

Or maybe tesco 50p polish is just really bad at polishing.

Maybe! If you've polished a matt finish and it is still matt, then you haven't polished it!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    I have been using Kitchen floor wipes, they seem to work well. They clean the frame perfectly, can get in to the difficult tight spots and smells good to 8)
  • matt_n-2
    matt_n-2 Posts: 581
    The Ant range of products for matte frames is really good, been using it on my Tarmac.
    Colnago Master Olympic
    Colnago CLX 3.0
    Colnago Dream
    Giant Trinity Advanced
    Italian steel winter hack
  • Thanks for the tips! I have been asking around and also bike mechanics. Most popular responses I've gotten so far is to use dish soap to wipe off the grime. I did this yesterday, but it's still visible to me no matter how long I scrub it. I wish it wasn't so difficult to clean... :?

I'm going to try rubbing a tad bit of rubbing alcohol and see if that does the trick

Bought Ruff Cutt Detailers to spray on the frame after I clean it 8)