Five Ten..

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited August 2014 in MTB general
As if Five Ten's styling wasn't bad enough as it is, now they're making gentlemen's dress shoes...

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/first-look ... -2015.html
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Meh, getting 510s was the best thing ive done to improve my riding, by far.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Meh, getting 510s was the best thing ive done to improve my riding, by far.

What the fuck must have you been riding in before if a pair of shoes is the "best thing you've done to improve your riding", flip-flops?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pesky_jones
    Just standard trainers. I couldnt believe the difference, it was like I should imagine being clipped in is like. At places like aston hill, where it is rooty as fark, on a hardtail, they made the world of difference, I would like to have seen my times before and after tbh.
  • lostboysaint
    Just standard trainers. I couldnt believe the difference, it was like I should imagine being clipped in is like. At places like aston hill, where it is rooty as fark, on a hardtail, they made the world of difference, I would like to have seen my times before and after tbh.

So actually any decent flat soled, soft "skate" shoe would have been an improvement - Vans waffle soles, Teva Links any of the Sole Technologies products (Etnies, Emerica Es), etc.etc. Not the magical properties of that particular brand and their incredible powers to improve your riding*.

*yes, I am more than aware of the importance of contact points with the bike.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • pesky_jones
    They were flat soled skate shoes. Nikes. I take it you have a pair of 510s then
  • pesky_jones
    Maybe it was a placebo, I dont really care
  • lostboysaint
    They were flat soled skate shoes. Nikes. I take it you have a pair of 510s then

I ride both flats and clipless (Crank Brothers Mallets). I have had 5Tens and found them no better or worse than most others. So I run Shimano AM45 and 41s.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    After changing from 5.10 freeriders to Shimano AM45's I wouldn't go back to 5.10 unless I move somewhere drier than death valley.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I like my 5:10's - decently grippy, decently stiff, decently protective (solid toe box, high enough around the ankle) - I would like them a little easier to dry when they get wet but they seem well put together.

Better for me than just a pair of DC's which I found to soft soled and offering no protection from things on the trail side hitting my toes.

I don't mind the look of the Kestrel but dont really get the point of 5:10 clipless shoes - either you want a grippy sole or you want a clipless shoe. I dont mind the Freerider Contact either - looks good.

I recently bought a pair of Sombrio shoes which have an amazingly grippy sole on flats - the shoe itself isnt quite as tough/stiff as the 5:10's I have but the grip is better.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I've loved every set of Five ten's I've owned, my freeriders were awesome. Sure they were typical five ten sponges but the grip they offered was insane. I've moved on from flats and using a second pair of shimano DX shoes which are also pretty damn good, just a tad heavy. For what I paid for them (and how cheaply the newer AM45's can be had) they're damn hard to beat though. I'd be interested to see how the Impact clipless shoes perform, along with Mavic's crossmax shoes they're probably the only ones I'd consider over AM45's if I were to buy new.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Fwiw my free rider elements don't soak up water (unless I fall off in a stream :oops: ) to the extent that I wear them as normal shoes in torrential rain to keep my feet dry.
  • lostboysaint
    lawman wrote:
    I've loved every set of Five ten's I've owned, my freeriders were awesome. Sure they were typical five ten sponges but the grip they offered was insane. I've moved on from flats and using a second pair of shimano DX shoes which are also pretty damn good, just a tad heavy. For what I paid for them (and how cheaply the newer AM45's can be had) they're damn hard to beat though. I'd be interested to see how the Impact clipless shoes perform, along with Mavic's crossmax shoes they're probably the only ones I'd consider over AM45's if I were to buy new.

It's the price of the Impact that just makes me laugh. £72 (ish - depending on deals) for the flat pedal version and over £100 for the clipless version. AM45s are around £54!!
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawman
    lawman wrote:

It's the price of the Impact that just makes me laugh. £72 (ish - depending on deals) for the flat pedal version and over £100 for the clipless version. AM45s are around £54!!

Agreed, the price is very high compared to AM45's but they are slightly weighty and can get a bit warm on longer rides. The impacts are a bit lighter I think. Tbh once my MP66's die I'll probably get a pair of Am45's anyway just because they're so cheap
  • lostboysaint
    Ah the MP66 "DX" shoe. Still a classic. Also manages to not look quite so "football boot" as the AM.
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • lawman
    Ah the MP66 "DX" shoe. Still a classic. Also manages to not look quite so "football boot" as the AM.

Yep, far nicer looking than the AM45's imo. I got mine second hand but barely used and 18months later they're still going strong. I'd get 2 years tops out of a pair of Five Tens before the soles started to wear. I did manage to find a brand new pair of MP66's just before I got mine but they were a touch too big :( gutted wasn't the word, at that point they were rarer than Hens teeth!
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    I like my 5:10's - decently grippy, decently stiff, decently protective (solid toe box, high enough around the ankle) - I would like them a little easier to dry when they get wet but they seem well put together.

Better for me than just a pair of DC's which I found to soft soled and offering no protection from things on the trail side hitting my toes.

I don't mind the look of the Kestrel but dont really get the point of 5:10 clipless shoes - either you want a grippy sole or you want a clipless shoe. I dont mind the Freerider Contact either - looks good.

I recently bought a pair of Sombrio shoes which have an amazingly grippy sole on flats - the shoe itself isnt quite as tough/stiff as the 5:10's I have but the grip is better.

Not all Five Tens or DC's are the same though. The DC 'Cup Sole' has more grip than the Five Ten Stealth sole if you ask me (on and off the bike) and my Five Ten Line Kings had no more or less to protection than my DC Nyjah have. The Five Tens lasted pretty well. Have yet to see how long these DC's will last but they certainly look as well made (and I got them for only £30)

Drying issues are not important in the southern French Alps :mrgreen:
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • RNVB-85
    RNVB-85 Posts: 5
    I use some black Puma Evospeed Sala 1.2 shoes as I recently got back into mountain biking and didn't bother buying a pair of proper biking shoes.They are almsot completely flat on the sole but extremely grippy. They keep me on my feet when I'm playing football and they do the job when I'm biking. Lightweight too.

puma-evospeed-1-2-sala-indoor-soccer-shoes-4.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The Freeriders are good shoes imo. Weather protection's poor but then they're not really trying to do that. Could maybe do with a bit more toe protection, I broke my big toe last year in a foot/alp interface incident which wasn't ideal. Well made unlike my old Impacts which were like £20 Tesco trainers. Cardboard ffs! In an outdoors shoe! Fuck off! Mine lasted one winter then dissolved.

Sombrio made great flat pedal shoes but they're all discontinued :( So I just ordered a set of the new Impacts, which look pretty darn good but you never know, they might have horribly screwed it up.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    Still got Sombrio shoes on sale in BC - I bought some a few weeks back and they have some though not all on their website.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798

So actually any decent flat soled, soft "skate" shoe would have been an improvement - Vans waffle soles, Teva Links any of the Sole Technologies products (Etnies, Emerica Es), etc.etc. Not the magical properties of that particular brand and their incredible powers to improve your riding*.

*yes, I am more than aware of the importance of contact points with the bike.
    I used some old vans before getting five tens and there's no comparison. The five tens have infinitely more grip. I wouldn't ride flat pedals without them.

That said, I just wouldn't ride flat pedals...
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Still got Sombrio shoes on sale in BC - I bought some a few weeks back and they have some though not all on their website.

Ah good, might need to check out some canadian websites, love their x-shazam... Best (only!) winter flat pedal shoe.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • paul.skibum
    I fancy the Loam high top for riding round here - can only seem to find the low top in my size locally though. Might still get them as they would serve as a decent slob about town trainer too and my DC's are fooked after a couple of good soakings, a mud bath and generally having my stinking feet in them!
  • Northwind
    Yeah, I think that's basically the same shoe, except the Shazam got a lace flap as well. They did a couple of variations on the theme... Not the stickiest sole but definitely hit the "more than sticky enough" marker.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    They aren't as weather tight as Am41s, but there so comfy!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.