Board Warning Levels

arran77
arran77 Posts: 9,260
Can one of the mods please advise how many board warnings you can receive and how long they last for?

I did ask the question via a PM but it's gone unanswered.
"Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    There isn't a set number... I think they stay on for 2-3 months, can't remember exactly.
    You don't necessarily need to have N warnings to deserve a ban... personally I don't like warnings, when I issue a warning it comes with the name of the moderator who issued and in some cases some vicious nasty individuals who populate the web use it as an excuse to reply with all sorts of abuse or target the moderator.... not worth bothering
    left the forum March 2023
  • arran77
    Thanks, I've got no problem with the mod who decided to issue me a warning, I did think it was a little OTT but it's his decision, it just means now that I can't be bothered to even report the spam advertisers who litter this place with their crap.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Typically a warning is issued so that all Mods and Admins can see that there is or has been a repeat problem with a member.

For example someone flaming or trolling will be issued a warning usually once it has been reported.

Where there are areas of the forum that regularly have shall we say have confrontations then we tend to monitor them a lot closer.

Problem areas are discussed with the other mod team and where the situation isn't clear a consensus of opinions is sought from other members of the team.

And yes as Ugo said, we do get a lot of harassment outside of this forum, but it goes with the job.

Hope that helps.
  • arran77
    Thanks Velonutter.

I would have thought then that someone just making what they thought was a light hearted joke in response to a spam kitchen advert would not warrant a warning?

It goes back to people being entitled to having different opinions which is fine, I guess I was at fault though for trying to be funny in a part of the forum where it's not perhaps the done thing?

Anyway, like I said it's now meant that when I see these spam adverts instead of reporting them like I used to which I think was useful, I'll just turn a blind eye to it.

Maybe that's just me being bloody minded though :lol:

seanoconn
  • Velonutter
    Arran scroll down to "Spam and Scammers" in the rules and it will explain a little: - viewtopic.php?f=40081&t=12794866
  • arran77
    Velonutter wrote:
    Arran scroll down to "Spam and Scammers" in the rules and it will explain a little: - viewtopic.php?f=40081&t=12794866

Fair enough, I'll shut up :oops:

:lol:

seanoconn
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Persoanlly I'd prefer a 'friendly advice' feature as well as 'warning'. This way all the modmins can see it too, and it doesn't have to be as harsh sounding as a warning. Though I PM a lot of people tbh.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    supersonic wrote:
    Persoanlly I'd prefer a 'friendly advice' feature as well as 'warning'. This way all the modmins can see it too, and it doesn't have to be as harsh sounding as a warning. Though I PM a lot of people tbh.

Much like a yellow and red card in football?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Sort of I suppose! But maybe even less than a yellow card. I appreciate that people make mistakes so like to give a little leeway. But it would be good to eb able to log advice for the others to see.

However we are tighter on classifieds rules than in general, and is explicitly stated that warnings or exclusions will be issued. Sometimes pics won't load, and prices are forgotten so a bit of judgement is still a good idea for us. Others though do take the wee wee!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Can I ask a question, which was related to a warning I had.

Can you have a thread in both MTB and Road Parts (for example) which lists the same items? (such as a pair of shoes).

The FAQ etc suggests you may have one thread in each forum but there is no guidance on duplication.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Velonutter

Can you have a thread in both MTB and Road Parts (for example) which lists the same items? (such as a pair of shoes).

The FAQ etc suggests you may have one thread in each forum but there is no guidance on duplication.

Officially the answer is no, but it is down to interpretation, if you were advertising MTB parts in the road section then no and similarly road parts in the MTB section.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Velonutter wrote:

Officially the answer is no, but it is down to interpretation, if you were advertising MTB parts in the road section then no and similarly road parts in the MTB section.

Should the guidelines be updated as such then? MTB shoes, for example, are good for MTB'ing and Commuting (which is more road orientated).

The FAQ suggests one thread for all sale items. That's caveated by the one per forum rule.

So, for example, it would not make sense to have your road handlebars in the MTB section. But, if you had your MTB shoes and road handlebars in road and the shoes only in MTB, would that be allowed?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,273
    So, for example, it would not make sense to have your road handlebars in the MTB section.

Even that is arguable...

1990_tomac_Yet_c26_riding.jpg
    left the forum March 2023