Shipping bikes down under - any advice?

desmorrow
desmorrow Posts: 115
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Shipping a hardtail and a FS downunder as we're emigrating. The bikes need to be spotless to get through customs but any other advice? I'm going to remove pedals and rear derailer, grease a few bits and pieces - anything else? What about tyres - inflate hard? I think the shipment can take 8-12 weeks and exposed to various temperatures.

Comments

• Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    This would be handy for me too, as im looking to move there soon too! :D
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Depending on the bike, I'd be tempted to sell it and buy another when I got there.

Otherwise be sure to remove your rotors as they're likely to get bent during shipping. Mech hanger too. I've suffered both during 48hr UK to UK delivery.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Flying or shipping?

If it's shipping, lots and lots of grease as the salty air can play havoc with steel and ally parts!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Bikes in NZ and Aus are hideously expensive so dont think about buying when you get there - in fact think about buying more bikes and taking them there to sell!

Could you not just take them on the plane with you as extra luggage - probably cheaper than shipping to pay the excess.

Tyres deflated, air out of the shocks, pipe lagging on the tubes, spacers in the brakes - to be honest for long distance shipping I woul dbe tempted to pull the bike apart and secure it as well as I could.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    They'll likely be inside a container if going by ship - spray parts with WD40/GT85 and wrap in plastic if worried by corrosion. Cost of shipping depends on volume not weight so look to make the box as small as possible. Get hold of a shipping box and parts from your LBS, plus the plastic spacers and foam etc. Remove the chainrings and rear mech, wrap frame tubes with foam pipe lagging. Leave the tyres inflated and cable-tie wheels them to the frame to act as 'buffers'. You'll find videos etc online.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • dBritain
    dBritain Posts: 37
    having worked in a shipping company company my only suggestion is when you think you've added enough bubble wrap, add another layer just in case
  • mxh
    mxh Posts: 51
    If you're emigrating, I'd assume that you're sending a load of stuff over in a container? If so, you don't need to do anything to it at all - apart from clean them, of course.

I brought 4 bikes over to Aus with me when I emigrated a few years back - no problems at all.

And regarding costs over here - bikes only look expensive if you convert back to pounds using the current exchange rate (which is still pretty bad, but improving). If you actually work it out as a percentage of the average wage, they're a fair bit cheaper - so as long as you're earning dollars and spending dollars it's all good.

And as for parts, they are a little pricier in local shops than they should be - but CRC deliver over here, and with the strong dollar and no VAT or import tax to pay for orders up to $1000 - bargain!