2x10 to a 1x10 setup

samcivilised
samcivilised Posts: 73
edited August 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I had some problems with my Gensis Grapil 20 and got a warranty swap for a Saracen Kili Flier 650b

Ive switched all my hardware over to the new bike and running 38×24T front and 11-36T at the back from the 26" Grapil on the Kili Flyer 650b

Now ive switched to 650b Im looking to switch to a single front ring setup

Looking for some advice on the front ring size and chainguide (with bash) setup

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What's the lowest gear you need?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I like to ride hard pack and can manage most local trails in the fourth down from the 36T on the back
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    In which chainring can you stick to no less than fourth on the cassette?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    You'll want either a 34 or 32 tooth chainring. If you ride more hills then 32, if you don't then 34.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Well you've got a 38 T on it so try that for a start. 32 T may be too small. I went in quick succession - 32,34,36 and have now ordered a 38. Expensive game.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    FishFish wrote:
    Well you've got a 38 T on it so try that for a start. 32 T may be too small. I went in quick succession - 32,34,36 and have now ordered a 38. Expensive game.

You want to go and ride somewhere hilly!

I looked at it by actually figuring out the ratios I had on my old triple and worked out what I would be able to tolerate losing - mainly from the high end as the Coastal mountains tend to leave me needing the lower end to get up them! I lost my lowest ration by taking a 30T front and putting a One Up 42T at the back (vs a 22T and 36T originally). 30T to 11T gives me reasonable high end on moderate road inclines but I try to avoid going downhill on road if I can.

On my hardtail I went for a 36T front with an 11-36 at the rear as I found that in its previous set up of 22-32 with an 11-32 at the back I wasnt using the 22 on the trails I used the HT on.

But as someone suggested - if you stick your bike in the 38T at the front and see what gears you use for everyday riding with only the 38 in use at front and work from there - if that leaves you short a ratio or two maybe a 36 or 34 would be more your cuppa.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Until he tells us which chainring he uses all but the 3 lowest gears in, we can't advice what size chainring he needs, everyone is just speculating I helpfully really.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I tend to recommend keeping the bottom the same and going from there
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I tend to recommend keeping the bottom the same and going from there
    Bottom of what?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools