Gumball3000 Rally in London

VTech
VTech Posts: 4,736
edited August 2014 in The bottom bracket
The kickoff of this years Gumball3000 Rally in London (one my cars at the front of course :wink: )

M1bRLY.jpg
Living MY dream.

Comments

• pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Waah, awesome. Right at the front or in the front line? Do you mean one of yours, as in you own it? Or worked with it???
  • VTech
    Waah, awesome. Right at the front or in the front line? Do you mean one of yours, as in you own it? Or worked with it???

The blue one is my own, several others are just ones I've worked on.
    Living MY dream.
  • pesky_jones
    Wow :shock:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Not my cup of tea this sort of thing, all a bit too showy for me but as this place shows, the world is full of all sorts of different people and if it floats your boat then that's cool.

Cars seem to be getting a bit 'Tron' to me now as well :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I like the highlights. Did the people at Staples help or just sell you the pens?
  • VTech
    arran77 wrote:
    Not my cup of tea this sort of thing, all a bit too showy for me but as this place shows, the world is full of all sorts of different people and if it floats your boat then that's cool.

Of course, its an impact thing, it was only done for that reason and yes, of course its "showy" thats the entire purpose.
    As for the "tron" part, we were the first just so you know :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • And the others that copied spent so much on their paintjob they couldn't afford the insurance...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 86010.html

web-lamborghini-pa.jpg
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Dunno if anyone watched Mondays American Pickers, they picked the guy that created the original batmobile amongst many many other film and tv cars.

Absolutely breath taking creations and amazing artwork, I am not really a car person but these were awesome.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • VTech
    And the others that copied spent so much on their paintjob they couldn't afford the insurance...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 86010.html

web-lamborghini-pa.jpg

That was one of our cars. It was insured, the met made a hug booboo on that one. They took the car as having no insurance, it belonged to one of the qatar royal family and they promptly placed it outside the HQ in london as a warning.
    Only a few days later they were hugely embarrassed when they discovered that the block exemption policy on that particular car covered it perfectly. Of course the apology by the met wasn't on the same scale as the taking of the car in the first place :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Rich Arabs adding precisely nothing to the world, apart from extreme vulgarity on the streets of London, apparently.
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:
    Rich Arabs adding precisely nothing to the world, apart from extreme vulgarity on the streets of London, apparently.

That could be taken as racial ?
    Anyway, all of the "rich arabs" I have met are hard working, very ethical, downright decent people who may or may not have money but as long as they earn what they spend I'm happy with that, as I am with anyone.
    Living MY dream.
  • VTech wrote:
    the met made a hug booboo on that one. They took the car as having no insurance, it belonged to one of the qatar royal family

I'm not sure a subsequent claim for diplomatic, or more likely Sovereign immunity, should warrant a heart felt apology...

Although it would seem that's not the only one -
    A Ferrari FF supercar was also put on show outside the Met HQ but the owner, Sheikh Rashid Bin Humaid Al Nuaimi - son of the Emir of Ajman, in the United Arab Emirates - boasted on his Facebook page that the Yard had handed the keys back as soon as they identified him. He wrote online: 'Arab money talks.'

I think with an attitude like that, I'd seize his car too, Yes, maybe his money talks - but not to me. It might impress one of his lackies a bit more when they drive him to Lambeth Pound.... :roll:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Of course, its an impact thing, it was only done for that reason and yes, of course its "showy" thats the entire purpose.
    As for the "tron" part, we were the first just so you know :wink:

That's the thing I just don't get VTech, the sole purpose of this event is to be showy?

I guess it really is as simple as people being different, it's not in my nature to show off, I'm not financially wealthy but even if I was I wouldn't choose to have a 'Tron' car because I just wouldn't want the attention it would get me.

Nice to be in a position in life to make that choice though.

Anyway I've managed to derail your thread now so back to the cars :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    @colinthecop, im not sure if its the same incident but there was a case over a Ferrari where the met took the car for no insurance and they wouldn't hand it back when they found it was covered and the member of the royal family intervened and the car was returned (quite rightly so as it was insured).

@arran77, yes, it is showy in that each years the cars get more wilder, both in nature and appearance. I don't think that a type of person who doesn't like to be seen would enter the Gumball3000 as it would be counter productive. The whole event is based on extravagance.
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    VTech wrote:
    dodgy wrote:

Anyway, all of the "rich arabs" I have met are hard working, very ethical, downright decent people who may or may not have money but as long as they earn what they spend I'm happy with that, as I am with anyone.

I knew it wouldn't take long for you start telling us about your rich acquaintances.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I'm not a huge fan of the flash styling on cars.

More partial to an E type etc. Though I have a soft spot for the Nissan Gtr and some of the Brabus creations.

Gimme a few years I'll be able to afford one.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    Have I mistakenly entered into some kind of time space continuum loop?
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • VTech
    lawrences wrote:

More partial to an E type etc. Though I have a soft spot for the Nissan Gtr and some of the Brabus creations.

The problem is, the best cars (those of bygone eras) are completely unaffordable.
    I would have a 250gto which was only $18,000 when new but now $52,000,000 :shock: :shock: :shock: sadly I will never have that money so a modern day car is all the bank balance will allow.

As for the reply from dodgy, your not in the slightest even remotely clever enough my friend :wink:
    Living MY dream.
  • dodgy
    VTech wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

As for the reply from dodgy, your not in the slightest even remotely clever enough my friend :wink:

*You're*
  • pesky_jones
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

*You're*

:lol::lol:

Normally I'm not fussed about grammar on the internet, but when it's a post about intelligence...
  • VTech
    dodgy wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

*You're*

:lol::lol:

Normally I'm not fussed about grammar on the internet, but when it's a post about intelligence...

Differing kinds.
    Living MY dream.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Folks, as per arran77's thread, and the RIP Robin Williams thread, can we stop the petty squabbling and stay vaguely on topic before another thread gets locked?

Some of us actually enjoy reading the topics, rather than just having a dig at VTech (and VTech - you don't NEED to respond to every insult).
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,166
    VTech wrote:

Saudi Arabia, a rich nation of poor people... when a country rises 75% of its GDP by trading oil and oil, unlike in Norway, is not publicly owned but is in the end of a minority of aristocrats, unfortunately you have a problem. That, combined with no notion of what is common good or even basic human rights makes it for a rather depressing picture.
    left the forum March 2023
  • pesky_jones
    He did say the arabs that he claims are ethical, hard working etc are the rich ones, so he could just be naive
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    and a different type of intelligent.
  • VTech
    Im not naive, I just think that this place is full of arrogant hypocrites who are absolute racists.

The amount of people here who clearly dislike anyone other than brits (what exactly are brits) shocks me. Money isn't the issue here, its racism hidden behind the vale of money.
    Im sick to the back teeth of people in this country (england) either talking about, referring too, or even remotely linking arabs/muslims/anyone not white as something other than what they are.

Truth is, jealousy prevails prominently within our culture. I am however yet to meet anyone from the middle east who isn't hard working, doesn't have morals or is rude/arrogant and isn't a thoroughly decent human.

Keep the jealousy rife, and as you do, watch as the "pimped" up lambo's/ferrari's drive by :)
    Living MY dream.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    You've not met many people have you?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 7,976
    And exactly how many people, chunkers, have you met from the middle east?
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pesky_jones
    VTech wrote:
    Im not naive, I just think that this place is full of arrogant hypocrites who are absolute racists.

How does not liking the way a country works make you an "absolute racist" - you idiot.
  • VTech wrote:

You've been to the UAE recently, If you had, you'd have realised that as a culture, the overt racism they display is shocking...
This discussion has been closed.