Derby Velodrome

Comments

• poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Everything is on track, external shingles start going on next week.

ey67.JPG

7rjl.jpg
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    AlanW Posts: 291
    Looking good, and many thanks for updating us, keep those photos coming!
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • poppit
    Forgot to say, the bottom picture shows where bend 1 and 2 will be and the raised riders D which will have the bike storage and workshop underneath it. The start/finish line will be in front of the banked seating you can see in the background.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    The planning application for the 1.4km closed road circuit adjacent to the new velodrome is open for consultation until the 12th January. Support is need for this so if you want to register your support for this application then this is the link to the Derby Cycle Group’s website which explains how. It only takes a minute to do online through the city council’s planning portal. http://derbycyclinggroup.org.uk/blog/2013/12/closed-cycle-circuit-your-support-is-needed/
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Photo that starts to show the beginning of the external shingles being fitted.

pz6h.jpg
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • YIMan
    YIMan Posts: 576
    It's progressing well, I'm surprised every time I go past at how fast it's going up.

Assuming it's still on to open in late 2014 when do you think information about the venue, track sessions and training will be available?
  • poppit
    Should be getting the heating on soon with the track starting to be installed late April.

Re the program, info should start coming out in the summer, lots of people are trying to book slots but its not first come first serve.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    The fly through for the new facility has just been made public http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bu39JZzc0o
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    Yes, but I still cannot book any dates yet?
    "You only need two tools: WD40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct tape"
  • poppit
    It opens to the general public on the 2nd Jan.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • AlanW
    Yes I know, but I have been looking to book dates starting in October 2015 running each month during the winter period
  • poppit
    Local authority wheels turn very slowly.

On the plus side, Moda are supplying the hire bikes. http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-based-Moda-Bicycles-wins-Derby-Arena/story-22720896-detail/story.html
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • Interesting that the news article says accreditation is done in 4 stages and takes 6 hours. What worries me with all this 'tick-in-the-box management' approach to BC accreditation, it gives inexperienced track riders license to ride SQTs way above their a. ability and b. fitness.

Witnessed this first-hand at LVVP.

Discuss.
    Live to ski
    Ski to live
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I have seen some awful riders at newport who are accredditied. I need to get back on the track, will try to get up to Olympic track asap. watch out lol
  • top_bhoy
    top_bhoy Posts: 1,424
    Interesting that the news article says accreditation is done in 4 stages and takes 6 hours. What worries me with all this 'tick-in-the-box management' approach to BC accreditation, it gives inexperienced track riders license to ride SQTs way above their a. ability and b. fitness.

Witnessed this first-hand at LVVP.

Discuss.
    Providing an acronym guide would be a good start. :P
  • delstron
    delstron Posts: 74
    Looking good - nearly finished!
    https://twitter.com/psj288/media
  • poppit
    Opening on the 20th March
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • The arena page says, "cycle track will be open to members, club users and customers who have already purchased cycling gift vouchers". What exactly does this mean? Do the gift vouchers cover tasters only?

Also, will there be SQTs? if so, will BC accreditation, e.g. from Manchester be acceptable?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    Poppit - can you clarify this please - is the track fully open as of the 20th March - can individuals go down and at least book a session from that date ?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • poppit
    Poppit - can you clarify this please - is the track fully open as of the 20th March - can individuals go down and at least book a session from that date ?
    No, think it's going to be club sessions first with individual sessions e.g tasters following in April. It's a bit of a soft launch really.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • johnmiosh
    johnmiosh Posts: 211
    Poppit. Who should club secs contact to organise sessions?
  • poppit
    I believe info is going out to clubs in the next few days, if you want to contact them to check then email them at derbyarena@derby.gov.uk
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • poppit
    Website launched, http://www.derbyarena.uk.com
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • I went today (volunteering for Marie Curie) but also got a little look round the place, quite impressive, although not that much seating for cycling events I thought!

I've got an introduction to track cycling booked so really looking forward to that. If I enjoy it (which I'm pretty sure I will) I'm going to try and complete the full accreditation!

I also did 250m on on one of their track bikes on rollers, did it in 13.48s, chances of that on a track?
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    I went today (volunteering for Marie Curie) but also got a little look round the place, quite impressive, although not that much seating for cycling events I thought!

I've got an introduction to track cycling booked so really looking forward to that. If I enjoy it (which I'm pretty sure I will) I'm going to try and complete the full accreditation!

I also did 250m on on one of their track bikes on rollers, did it in 13.48s, chances of that on a track?

Very unlikely unless you are a natural sprinter with lots of untapped raw talent! For someone new to the track then getting under 16 seconds is a really good time so dont feel disheartened if you cant repeat the 13.48 :) On rollers you dont have much resistance to overcome to get up to top speed and then hold it but a flying lap effort you do. The effort is also considerably longer than a lap - you have to start and wind up the gear, get up the banking then accelerate hard. Your peak speed is on crossing the start line then it is about trying to hold on to as much of that as possible.
  • I wish I had some untapped talent!

I'm not sure if there will be much sprinting on my introduction session, but if there is I'll pop back here it's my time!