Hope seat post clamp

iwilldoit
iwilldoit Posts: 710
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Hi All

How tight has a Hope seat post clamp need to be, the post very slightly drops over a ride, so I take it tighter than it is now but don't want to do any damage.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Put a bit of oil on the cam.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    As tight as you like, unless using a Reverb in which case just a little bit tighter than it takes to move it.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • iwilldoit
    Put a bit of oil on the cam.

Just went in the garage and bit that :D

No not a Reverb seat post I suppose you have to be careful not to crush them?
  • CitizenLee
    Yeah too tight and they don't move as they should... but then if you have a dropper post a QR clamp is kinda pointless anyway :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Carbon assembly paste does wonders for not having to clamp things up crazy tight. Toothpaste is a nice cheap alternative too.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Hope seat clamps are a bit sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I think mine's excellent albeit a bit lardy.
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:

Evidence, or GTFO ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • CitizenLee
    cooldad wrote:

A link to a bunch of ham-fisted people moaning isn't evidence, it's opinion, and since I've had 3 that have never failed or slipped I still think they're a good product.... even though I admittedly don't use them on my current bike. Google "[any product] + crap" and you'll find people moaning. You know this ;)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:

They aren't great. I have one and it doesn't like dirty conditions, difficult to close when it gets muddy. The standard Giant ones work better.
  • CitizenLee
    Do you even need to use the one on your Mega since you have a Reverb, or are we talking Scalp?

Either way I've never had that issue with any of mine. They worked fine dirty or clean.... or if it was totally clogged I'd do the sensible thing and remove the muck first. A quick squirt from the hydrobladder or poke with a stick did the trick.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Do you even need to use the one on your Mega since you have a Reverb, or are we talking Scalp?

I just haven't got around to buying a bolt up clamp for my Mega but I will be going back to an old fashioned post when we are back in the rainy season.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    They seem to struggle with anything with a clamp/cam on it. Their skewers are useless and so are their seat post clamps. (And that's from someone who has their hubs, stems, brakes, headsets, bottom brackets!)
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee wrote:

I just haven't got around to buying a bolt up clamp for my Mega but I will be going back to an old fashioned post when we are back in the rainy season.

Why you swapping back? If Reverb seals couldn't handle rain and gloop I'd never get a chance to use mine up here in Aberdeen :)
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • rockmonkeysc
    Winter is mostly wet night rides so more mile munching than tech. No point having the reverb on and wearing it and exposing seals to gunk if im rarely going to use it.
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    cooldad wrote:

Ive never had worse. My post always slip, dropper either didn't work or slipped. Just put the original back on and its now sat in a tub with other accumulated parts!
  • CitizenLee
    Winter is mostly wet night rides so more mile munching than tech. No point having the reverb on and wearing it and exposing seals to gunk if im rarely going to use it.

That's fair enough. A service is quite expensive considering it's essentially half a fork.
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
  • iwilldoit
    Well some wet lube on the cam and a little bit tighter and so far no more slipping seat post :)
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Had an old style Hope QR (the one with the ball end to the lever) on my Commencal that I carried onto my Canyon which never slipped and worked fine. Got the new style one for my Vitus that slipped all the time no matter how tight I did up the lever. Binned it when I got a dropper post and fitted a Salsa Liplock clamp that hasnt been touched since it was fitted.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap