better shifters?

snig
snig Posts: 428
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
anyone recommend better shifters for me please, have Deore shifters, love the click to change down but the push to change up is getting a little annoying now, bike used for commuting so not looking to spend silly money, a slight upgrade tho would be good, Derailleur front Deore M-530, back Deore XT.

or will new cables make a big difference? seems I need to press a bit harder than I would like when shifting up?
cheers.

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Deore shifters are fine.
    push to change up is getting a little annoying : get used to it.

new cables make a big difference? are they old and worn/kinked? then yes.
  • snig
    6 years old...think I'll try new cables.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    New cables will make the shifters feel like new. Increasing pressure on the upshifter is a sure sign your cables are binding inside the outers, causing increased friction. New cables and outers will make the upshifter feel as light as a feather again.
  • snig
    Ouija wrote:
    New cables will make the shifters feel like new. Increasing pressure on the upshifter is a sure sign your cables are binding inside the outers, causing increased friction. New cables and outers will make the upshifter feel as light as a feather again.

cheers, guess the increase is pressure slowly crept up on me, was thinking they were always like this, but it's just recently I've come to notice them...did a bit of research after I posted and seems shamino SP41 is the wayto go.

Doesn't look to hard a job, not worth getting my LBS to do it?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Invest in some teflon coated cables for lower friction. Nothing wrong with plain steel but they do tend to rust up a bit once they've been through a wet winter.
  • snig
    doesn't the teflon come off?
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Ouija wrote:
    Invest in some teflon coated cables for lower friction. Nothing wrong with plain steel but they do tend to rust up a bit once they've been through a wet winter.

Or just get stainless steel cables. New cable housings will already contain a PTFE or nylon liner.

It's also worth giving the front derailleur a douse in WD40 or GT85.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}