I need a screw (although technically I think it's a bolt)

paulintheforest
paulintheforest Posts: 84
edited August 2014 in The workshop
Hi all

Due to some sheer incompetence on my part I did some work on my daughter's bike on the grass and dropped the screw that holds the indicator lens to her gear shifter.

The screw you can see here
14898443093_09225aa9ed_z.jpg
Anyone know what size it is or where I can get a replacement from? The LBS haven't been much help, I even tried Halfords in desperation. She can't race the bike until I can put the cover back on so I need to try to get this sorted ASAP. It's a Shimano 2300 shifter

Also in the interests of fairness, picture blatently stolen from this Ebay listing here (which is my plan B source for the screw/bolt)http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shimano-ST-2300-right-hand-8-speed-shifter-brake-lever-/221516364708?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item3393677ba4

thanks

Comments

• davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It'll be a "standard" size, for some value of "standard". I'd cannibalize whatever electronic things I can find - take the screw out of the other shifter for comparison. Hell take a plug to pieces and see what you get. No point at all looking for a bike-specific screw.

Or, you could hoover the garden. It'd give the neighbours a treat.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Bolts are screws.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, Screws are screws and bolts are bolts, that has full length thread so is a screw, a bolt doesn't so can never be a screw,
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.