Cycle shorts

yost72
yost72 Posts: 51
edited August 2014 in Road beginners
I wear Muddyfox baggy shorts over some standard Lycra cycle shorts when I am out riding. However, I realise these aren't ideal as they do flap around a bit and sometimes they can catch on my water bottle.
That said, I'm really not keen on wearing Lycra cycle shorts. I know many of you will say I should just get over it and that this would be the best way forward for me. Assuming I can't / won't get over it, are there any cycle shorts anyone could recommend which are not Lycra, but not as baggy / flappy as the Muddyfox ones?
Also, if Lycra really is the only solution, are there any recommendations?

Comments

• fat_cat
    fat_cat Posts: 566
    Lycra is the answer, not sure why you don't want to wear it. I know it looks and feels a bit strange to start with but after about the second ride you stop caring.

Personally I couldn't give a toss what I look like / other people think, as long as I'm comfortable.

Brand depends on your budget, but value for money DHB from Wiggle worth a look.
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    I reckon baggy shorts on a road bag look way more stupid than lycra.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I really wouldn't worry about what you look like, I'm sure other people aren't that bothered. If they've got time to notice - you're not pedalling fast enough!! :wink: I own some MuddyFox shorts which aren't great, but were cheap and they do me fine for rides up to 35ish miles, and as Fat Cat said, I also have some DHB ones which were about £30 I think and i've done 64mile rides in them without any bottom 'issues'. Don't own any more expensive ones, so can't tell you what benefit you'd get from spending more than that, but as I say, they do me fine.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    On a road bike Lycra shorts are much easier as they don't get in the way and are more comfortable. I do mountain and road biking and found I was faster on road wearing lycra shorts rather than baggy MTB style shorts. The trick is to get good quality ones that fit you well. There are loads in the sales at the moment, I got two pairs reduced from £70 to £35 each which work well for me.
  • Assuming then that you can't/won't get over it, try Swrve clothing. Their shorts look like street wear but come in "trim fit", making them less baggy than MTB shorts.

That said, it's an expensive solution when you could just wear lycra like the rest of us :-)
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    Shave your legs. It's worth it when trying on women's clothing, too. Lycra does look horrific with hairy legs.