thecyclingtimes - Satirical Site

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 18,957
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Hadn't come across this before

Seems pitched as a cycling version of Daily Mash or The Onion rather than full on snark.

http://www.thecyclingtimes.com/ricco-ac ... lpe-dhuez/
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Hadn't come across this before

Seems pitched as a cycling version of Daily Mash or The Onion rather than full on snark.

LOL!

http://www.thecyclingtimes.com/brailsfo ... ll-player/
  • Brilliant website !!! :)
  • kamil1891
    kamil1891 Posts: 658
    http://www.thecyclingtimes.com/pozzato-judged-by-god/

Oh my God!! This website has already made my day or week or month :D
  • Takes a lot to get me Lolling!

Best cycling website since the plastic peloton people one.
  • Hadn't come across this before

The Cobra attributed his success to a new understanding of the sport: “It’s all about marginal gains.”

“It’s all about marginal gains.”

Hilarious. But I doubt that anyone would swallow crap like that in real life! Oh, hang on... :lol:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,879
    Am I the only person who thinks none of this is particularly clever / funny? It's just all too obvious and looks like a school kid has written it. Comparing it to the Daily Mash is ridiculous. No doubt someone will soon get caught out quoting something from it as a genuine article though and that's when it will be funnier.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Pross wrote:
    Am I the only person who thinks none of this is particularly clever / funny? It's just all too obvious and looks like a school kid has written it.

No you're not, but people laugh at anything once they think it's comedy, look at Andy Parsons or Miranda Hart for example who can make careers because of it.
    Pross wrote:
    No doubt someone will soon get caught out quoting something from it as a genuine article though and that's when it will be funnier.

Now who on here could possibly metaphorically stand on a rake doing this? :)
  • tailwindhome
    Pross wrote:
    Comparing it to the Daily Mash is ridiculous.

How so?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,879
    Pross wrote:

How so?

I just find the Mash to be a much more clever and imaginative. That's probably the benefit of not being stuck to one subject. I think UK Cycling Expert comes up with funnier cycling related stuff but even they are struggling to be original a lot of the time now.

Writing 'satire' about subjects such as Pippo, Ricco and Sky isn't particularly clever as they all just lead you to obvious gags. The Intxausti one was about the only half decent one I read.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

How so?

I just find the Mash to be a much more clever and imaginative. That's probably the benefit of not being stuck to one subject. I think UK Cycling Expert comes up with funnier cycling related stuff but even they are struggling to be original a lot of the time now.

Writing 'satire' about subjects such as Pippo, Ricco and Sky isn't particularly clever as they all just lead you to obvious gags. The Intxausti one was about the only half decent one I read.

Completely agree. The Mash's choice of words is usually perfect. As you said above, it reads like it's been written by a school kid.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,174
    styxd wrote:
    Completely agree. The Mash's choice of words is usually perfect. As you said above, it reads like it's been written by a school kid.
    I think you are being a little unfair to school kids there
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • styxd
    RichN95 wrote:
    styxd wrote:
    I think you are being a little unfair to school kids there

:D

At least the spelling seems ok. I read in the Mail that these days over half of school kids are illiterate.
  • tailwindhome
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

How so?

The comparison to the Daily Mash was more with regard to the tone in contrast to the tiny spiteful snark wallowed in by other sites.

To be honest I don't see a great difference in quality between the two sites, much of the Mash's output is a bit meh!

Opinions, eh?
  • Maybe I am just childish but it entertained and amused me.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Pross wrote:
    Pross wrote:

How so?

I'm definitely with you on this. As is a random bloke from Finsbury park I polled.

The mash, of course, owes a huge debt to the onion. Their MacBook wheel news piece still stands the test of time, the background detail is awesome.

Personally I don't think there's enough material in cycling for a satire site to work with, nothing that doesn't get the full treatment on twitter first at any rate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • styxd
    I thought this cycling related one was funny at the time http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 1009303131