My skill level seems to be going backwards!..

Kerrmit1992
Kerrmit1992 Posts: 275
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Hi guys,

So I built a custom XTC 29er to race XC this year before I realised I'm not actually any good at being a competitive endurance athlete. So I've decided I just want to ride for fun and fitness again. However, now I can't seem to do anything technical at all and I'm not sure if it's the bike or me.

The nose feels very heavy on the 29er XTC and maybe because I'm running it with flat bars would this cause me to struggle with the technical descents?

Also, Everytime I hit a root or a wet rock my front end would wash out or when trying to pedal uphill on similar terrain the back wheel would spin and spit me off in a similar fashion to a motorcycle high-side haha. I'm putting this bit down to wrong tyre pressure as I've been running them at 40psi and maybe slightly higher when what I need to do Is go lower.

All advice would be much appreciated as I love mtb but motivation is starting to disappear :-(

Thanks
Craig
Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Sounds like it's not the bike for you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    cooldad wrote:
    Sounds like it's not the bike for you.

Probably not what you wanna hear but I agree, maybe something with smaller wheels, and more aggressive geo. Wider tyres?

Alternatively, you could keep trying and when you've mastered it on an unsuited bike, if you did swap you'd be a bike god?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What tyres?

The pressures certainly won't help!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • See that's what i thought. But maybe the terrain is too sketchy for a xc bike I don't know.

I've been looking for a second hand giant trance or something along those lines but I don't really wanna spend a lot of money if it's me haha.

I had a giant and I'm running racing Ralph's front and rear. I think I'll drop the tyre pressure next time I'm out. I seemed to do better when I never had a pressure gauge on the pump. I used to use a hand pump and test with the good old squeeze of the tyre so I was probably running lower pressures then.
    Mountain biking is the bicycle version or rallying, except you don't need a Co-Driver!
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Could be tyres and pressure
    Or it could be you're not weighting the bike properly.. Such as leaning off the back of the bike on descents
  • Maybe, would putting riser bars on make a difference to the weight over the front end?
  • The Rookie
    Riser bars or bars with more backsweep would help, but not as much as technique. It's a bike you have to work at technique on a bit mire than a more forgiving bike, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Take 10-15psi off the tyres.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Well I'll see what happens if I take 10-15psi off the tyres and I'll invest in some new bars. I'm running a 70mm stem also which I think is a bit long so I'll maybe shorten tht to 50mm and hopefully that will improve my riding again
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Go one step at a time, just reduce the tyre pressures first before changing components.
  • The Rookie
    Tyre pressures are free!
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Or just carry on riding backwards, thats pretty impressive.
  • I ride and race a Giant XTC and it's certainly not the most forgiving bike in the world. It took me a fair while to get dialled into it and the things it punishes most are being tentative and tension. You've got to be really positive with it but also know when to just let it roll over stuff. It's a full-on XC bike but you can still have a lot of fun on it and ride it hard over technical terrain like my local Dark Peak trails. Maybe try some grippier tyres, back off the pressure a bit and learn to embrace its quirks and ride with them rather than fight them.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    My skill level seems to be going nowhere.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I would be happy with any level with skill in it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Haha well ill adjust tyre pressures and give it another go :-)