Race wheels. Choice of two!

powenb
powenb Posts: 296
edited October 2014 in Amateur race
Hi all,

I am looking for some new wheels for a bit of racing. It will mainly be closed circuit racing.
I have the choice of:
Reynolds Forty Six clinchers (1440g)
Or
Fast Forward F6R tubulars (1355g)

Which would you suggest?

Thanks

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited July 2014
    Depends if you want tubulars or clinchers, surely..?? However, all I would say is that it doesn't actually matter.
  • powenb
    I am not put off by tubulars, as I used to use them for TTing.
    So really wanted opinion on which other people would choose.
  • imposter2.0
    powenb wrote:
    I am not put off by tubulars, as I used to use them for TTing.
    So really wanted opinion on which other people would choose.

Well, some people would choose clinchers, while others would choose tubulars. It's all down to personal preference, so don't expect a consensus one way or the other. A bit like asking what colour bike you should buy. Not trying to be difficult, by the way.

The fellas that win the races would still win regardless of what wheels they were on.
  • powenb
    Imposter wrote:
    Well, some people would choose clinchers, while others would choose tubulars.

Ah good point. Don't want it to turn into that sort of debate.
    But still interested in other people's opinions.
    Cheers.
  • imposter2.0
    powenb wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Well, some people would choose clinchers, while others would choose tubulars.

Ah good point. Don't want it to turn into that sort of debate.
    But still interested in other people's opinions.
    Cheers.

I've used both, if that helps.
  • powenb
    Imposter wrote:

Both sets of wheels? What are your thoughts on them?
  • imposter2.0
    powenb wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Both sets of wheels? What are your thoughts on them?

No, I mean I have used both tubs and clinchers. Which takes me back to my original point...
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    I have the Reynolds 46 tubs, which are very nice indeed! They weigh in at 1180g. I also have some team issue Bontrager Aeolus 3 carbon clinchers that are a similar weight to the Reynolds clinchers (around 1440g) and I've used them in all the prems etc this year.

The clinchers handle brilliantly and brake well (as do the tubs) but aren't quite as stiff as the Reynolds, nor are they as light. However, punctures on the clinchers, which I must say are rare, are a damn sight easier and cheaper to fix! To me, the important factors are:
    1. sponsors
    2. stiffness
    3. weight
    4. cost

I presume you can exclude no. 1 as a factor, but have a think about your priorities regarding the other 3. I find braking performance to be very similar between carbon tubs and clinchers - they both deal with the rigours of prems very well.

I think that my teammate Luke Ryan had a pair of FFWD wheels that he really liked. He was the king of cyclopark as well :lol: I tend to avoid using tubs on closed circuits because I don't find the payoff of slightly faster tubs outweighs the risk of an expensive puncture, whereas RR is more important to me.

Another point - are the two wheelsets similar prices?
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • olake92
    olake92 Posts: 182
    Another thought that may or may not help - if the choice was between Reynolds tubs and FFWD clinchers, I'd say the Reynolds.
    I'm on Twitter! Follow @olake92 for updates on my racing, my team's performance and some generic tweets.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I have FFWD f4R tubs and they are amazing. Smashed my way through various potholes and crashes in races and they are still as true as the day I got them ;)
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Out of interest, how did you narrow yourself down to a choice of two wheelsets *before* deciding whether to go for clinchers or tubs?

I started off TT-ing on tubs, and switched after a couple of years because I got fed up with having to spend an evening removing/regluing a tub every time I punctured; I couldn't measure any difference in rolling resistance (despite having successfully measured some quite small differences in aerodynamic drag). I reckon I'll gain more from spending those evenings training...

Plenty of the very fastest TT riders are racing clinchers, and Tony Martin won at least one World Champs on a pair (Conti Supersonics I think)
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,178
    I would get the cheapest wheels you can buy and take it from there. If you can't stay in the bunch in cat 4 with a pair of Shimano 501 you are just wasting your time and should train harder... a lot harder!

To progress you need points, which means top 10 finishes... wheels won't get you points... only legs, lungs and race experience will get you points. Expensive wheels will be a hindrance rather than an asset at that level
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    As an aside- did you see Ryan Mullen's 17:51 on the D10/15 a couple days ago? Amazing.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Grill wrote:
    As an aside- did you see Ryan Mullen's 17:51 on the D10/15 a couple days ago? Amazing.

Yeah, absolutely unbelievable. He was incredibly strong in that break but not a pleasant person to race against. Lots of mouth for no reason, not my cup of tea.

Interesting perspective...
    he's a bit of a golden boy in certain circles closish to myself.mainly also a bunch of opnionated twunts . personally I'm with you about having a bit of style in racing not only having the engine.
  • I'd go for the clinchers as getting a flat and having to pay £60 for a new tub rather than £5 for a new tube decides for me, I have a set of 404 tubs but 90% of the time just race my ksyriums for this reason
  • antsmithmk
    antsmithmk Posts: 717
    You can repair tubs.
    Tubs are less likely to puncture.
    Filled with latex slime, you might puncture on tubs and not know it, therefore finishing your event.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I now own some F6R Tubs and they are sublime! A little twitchy in x-winds but nothing you can't control.
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I would get the cheapest wheels you can buy and take it from there. If you can't stay in the bunch in cat 4 with a pair of Shimano 501 you are just wasting your time and should train harder... a lot harder!

To progress you need points, which means top 10 finishes... wheels won't get you points... only legs, lungs and race experience will get you points. Expensive wheels will be a hindrance rather than an asset at that level

That!
    I remember racing a couple of years ago in a CAT 4 crit and a lad rocked up on a steel cross-bike with a set of "road" tyres on and crucified everyone including me, there were guys there on £3k+ bikes looking very embarressed :lol: . This lad even caught and passed the 3rd cat race which had started off 2 mins before us!
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    I wouldn't get the cheapest wheels you can - I'd get something you can afford to ride and replace if need be without worrying too much about the cost - for some people that will be £100 set of wheels for others it will be £2k worth. Yes it's mainly about the legs and the head but a nice set of carbon wheels do help a bit. Let's be honest - even 4th cats are generally taking their cycling fairly seriously in terms of time they put in so they shouldn't be embarrassed about spending money on kit so long as they keep it in perspective that it is only a hobby.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]