New brakes needed for Condor Fratello - deep drop

the_hundredth_idiot
the_hundredth_idiot Posts: 813
edited August 2014 in Workshop
The brakes on my Condor Fratello were looking a bit shabby after 6 years of all weather cycling so I thought I'd buy some new ones - CRC had a good deal on Campag Veloce which matches the rest of the groupset so job done ... or so I thought.

Turns out I need deep drop brakes. The Veloce ones I have just bought seem alright at the back but are a bit too close to the tyre at the front - don't want to risk making my tyres go pop when braking! So those unused Veloce ones will go on that well-known auction site.

Any recommendations on deep drop brakes? I could always pop into Condor and buy another set of their own branded onoes but I wondered what the other options were. Presumably Shimano or Tektro but can anyone point me in the direction of the model numbers?

On a similar note - any tips on maintenance of Campag Vento G3 wheels. The hubs sound a bit dry so are they easily regreased or are they some sort of sealed unit which means I need new wheels? (Sorry for sounding such a noob - I'm happy stripping down old mountain bikes but more expensive road bikes are a bit more of a mystery.)

Thanks in advance.
THI
Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    I started a similar thread recently and the responses might be helpful to you.

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12976044

Realise that you are a Campag man so the Shimano options will not suit. However there are the Miche and Tektro brands and some others suggested.

Missed your last paragraph so edited post to include this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM9SiZVYe_g

Covers G3 wheelsets but doesn't mention the Vento - might be helpful however if the hubs are the same
  • Thanks - helpful on both counts and I'll look into them.

THI
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Just to follow up on this, I bought the Miche Performance brakes. Wiggle had a good deal on them so I thought I'd give them a go.

I'm putting off the rear hub maintenance for a few weeks - a friend has just given me two Specialized Hotrock kids' bikes that his children have grown out of with the caveat that they need a little work ... So I've got my hands full for the next few weeks with stripping those two down to make them feel like new for my kids.