Commonwealth games - helmets

andy_from_embsay
andy_from_embsay Posts: 343
edited August 2014 in Pro race
Apols if this has been covered elsewhere, but what's the crack with people wearing their pro-team helmet, most of which seem to have names (but not necessarily logos - e.g. Dowsett's Movistar TT lid) taped over - and G was wearing Sky arm-warmers today.

Surely it's not because the national bodies can't afford helmets and arm warmers? Or do they just prefer to wear their own (plus a bit of sponsor promotion)?

Comments

• It's there job to do so, they pay them
  • But with the names covered over? Seems odd that the organisers don't either say "no branded clobber" or "wear what you like".

And Peter Kennaugh wasn't wearing a Sky helmet, whereas G was - which would suggest that the team don't insist on it.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    I don't see it as a problem and it is good to see which teams they ride pro for, after all its who employs them.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    But with the names covered over? Seems odd that the organisers don't either say "no branded clobber" or "wear what you like".

And Peter Kennaugh wasn't wearing a Sky helmet, whereas G was - which would suggest that the team don't insist on it.

Most riders will probably wear what they have or what they want. Some might be contractually bound to use their Pro Team kit.

As for the logos being covered over - in general I believe it's in the rules of the Commonwealth Games. Much like in the Olympics where branding on clothing and equipment is very limited. Normally allowed one brand name per item and it has to be of a certain size.

I noticed this in the TT where most logos were covered over on helmets and bikes.

I rode in London and it was the case there where you basically had to cover over everything with tape, etc. It's a giant pain in the butt, but there is a good reason for it.

If you saw riders with certain logos still on display, then I would think it's just a matter of they didn't check equipment in advance (or carefully). In London they had a bike check before you raced, and they had black tape there to cover over offending logos!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,879
    But with the names covered over? Seems odd that the organisers don't either say "no branded clobber" or "wear what you like".

It wasn't even a national thing as G wore a Sky helmet and Rowe didn't. Must be personal preference.

EDIT could be a sponsorship thing though. Maybe G has a personal deal with Kask or something? Kennaugh and Rowe have the same manager so maybe a different deal.
  • Cheers - G's arm warmers were "un-taped" and very clearly Sky.
  • It struck me as it being slightly down the sports day effect of the Commies.

This will likely be the only time in 4 years the GB riders ride for their home nations, so why would Team Wales bother making specific arm warmers, just in case G needs them in a race in August.

Having said that though, at the Worlds riders often wear their team lids, it's sometimes the easiest way to distinguish between riders.
  • It struck me as it being slightly down the sports day effect of the Commies.

This will likely be the only time in 4 years the GB riders ride for their home nations, so why would Team Wales bother making specific arm warmers, just in case G needs them in a race in August.

Yep, but they seem to be a bit hit and miss re logos - even at local TTs they can get a bit arsey about logos, so surprising they didn't tell G to bring some plain black ones!
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    Cheers - G's arm warmers were "un-taped" and very clearly Sky.
    But on the wrong arms, perhaps deliberately?
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Cheers - G's arm warmers were "un-taped" and very clearly Sky.
    But on the wrong arms, perhaps deliberately?

Yeah - saw that!
  • WeeJohn
    WeeJohn Posts: 5
    Really liked the Mackintosh rose design on David Millar's TT helmet
  • Cav sorted the IOM team out with specialized kit, helmets etc which is why PK wasn't in a Kask. All other things needed to be taped over, for the TT is was easier to check but for the road race i guess some would always slip through but I know some riders got fined, I guess G put his arm warmers on like that so the sky logo was on the inside, but then obviously when he celebrated you could see them.

Sky will probably happily pay the fine as that picture will be everywhere
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,879
    Cav sorted the IOM team out with specialized kit, helmets etc which is why PK wasn't in a Kask. All other things needed to be taped over, for the TT is was easier to check but for the road race i guess some would always slip through but I know some riders got fined, I guess G put his arm warmers on like that so the sky logo was on the inside, but then obviously when he celebrated you could see them.

Sky will probably happily pay the fine as that picture will be everywhere

How did you get on? A few of your team mates were visible early on, it looked like a manic start with no chance to warm up!