Tour of Poland - Mental Weather

cc78
cc78 Posts: 599
edited August 2014 in Pro race
and you thought the rain was bad in Glasgow today...

http://video.eurosport.fr/cyclisme/apoc ... ideo.shtml

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,884
    That's crazy. To think people wanted the cobbles in the Tour scrapped! Did the stage get abandoned? I haven't seen a spoiler but that was surely too dangerous to race in. The break could barely move in the wind.
  • 'Twas a freak storm that abated not too long after.

226 k (or so) stage so it caused massive time differences overall.

Last rider was 19 mins down on a pan flat stage!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,747
    Doesn't look that bad - the worst of it was over in 5 minutes - we've all ridden in similar on rare occasions.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Doesn't look that bad - the worst of it was over in 5 minutes - we've all ridden in similar on rare occasions.

I've ridden in bad conditions including a TT in pouring rain with gusts up to 50mph and temperatures barely above freezing. However, I've never ridden in conditions where trees and branches are blocking the road. The closest I've seen to this was the ToB stage a couple of years back that was due to end in Blackpool but that got cancelled.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Pross wrote:

I've ridden in bad conditions including a TT in pouring rain with gusts up to 50mph and temperatures barely above freezing. However, I've never ridden in conditions where trees and branches are blocking the road. The closest I've seen to this was the ToB stage a couple of years back that was due to end in Blackpool but that got cancelled.
    You don't think that is the first race to have some freak conditions.
    The history of cycle racing is full of them and if the whimps can't handle them then stay away and go Touring when the sun shines.
    EDIT
    Remember - 1999 Deutschland Tour Time Trial
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • Pross
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:

The history of cycle racing is full of them and if the whimps can't handle them then stay away and go Touring when the sun shines.
    EDIT

It's hardly wimpish to be concerned about racing on a road when trees are falling on it!
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Back in the day riders would have just ridden straight through those trees!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Pross wrote:
    deejay wrote:
    Pross wrote:

EDIT

It's hardly wimpish to be concerned about racing on a road when trees are falling on it!

I disagree. Surely if a tree falls in front of you, you just bunny hop over it.

:lol:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Smash it out of the way with your forehead...
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Hinault would have just punched it out of the way.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Hinault would have just punched it out of the way.

He'd have led a riders protest and stopped the race...just short of the line.