The new Gabba?

jgarpotter
jgarpotter Posts: 83
edited January 2015 in Road general
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-gabba-2-jersey/

Just found them on Wiggle, its supposedly more aero, has better drainage and is stronger around the wasitband.

Comments

• ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Such as?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • IC. wrote:
    Such as?

Its supposedly more aero, has better drainage and is stronger around the wasitband.
  • IanRCarter
    IanRCarter Posts: 217
    Looks like they're selling the first one off too, £104.99. If you're size xxxl then you're in luck, although I hear Castelli is 'Italian sizing' so that works out at about a medium in reality?
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    That looks much nicer without the big Castelli chest logo, I may have to get one!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    IanRCarter wrote:
    Looks like they're selling the first one off too, £104.99. If you're size xxxl then you're in luck, although I hear Castelli is 'Italian sizing' so that works out at about a medium in reality?

Dont be fooled... Castelli are pretty good with sizing.
    I am 6 1" and 33 leg...Castelli XL is the size for me... goes for the San Remo as well.
    Whole point of the Gabba is that it is winter proof ish where the jersey protects but is close fitting. ... xxxl would be hanging off a lot ..
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Looks way better than the current one. I really want the convertible one though, still doesn't look like it is sold in the UK.
  • kingstonian
    Strange - I've had a scour around the internet and can only find Wiggle showing the new version. Not even Castelli have it on their site, or at least I couldn't find it.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have the convertible which I had shipped from Italy - apparently the UK distributors don't bring it in because there were concerned about the amount of water seepage through the zips.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kingstonian
    Monty Dog wrote:
    I have the convertible which I had shipped from Italy - apparently the UK distributors don't bring it in because there were concerned about the amount of water seepage through the zips.

Would you recommend the convertible? I think I'd prefer it to having a short sleeve Gabba with nanoflex armwarmers, but interested in your experience with it
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    looks nice, hopefully means i can pick up the original much cheaper :D
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Evans doing the short sleeve (old version) for 90 quid, the LS is 110. Best be quick I reckon
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552
    Got to say ... Think the old one is much nicer tbh
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • The idea of the Gabba is good, the marketing is fantastic but the product is not what you think. i have been searching for similar jacket and done lots of research. the best one for now is Parentini [ The Mossa ] and Rapha soft shell. the reason is that they both use Windtex fabric whileas Castelli use Windstopper. i can elaborate more if someone would like to know more, i was sent a PDF from Parentini UK distributor explaining the details of their item.

bit of Pain to find the Parentini in th UK but i think you can order through the distributor, the Rapha one is easy found if you get the cash to spend. [ 185 for P. £260 Rpaha]
  • Chris87
    Chris87 Posts: 224
    the gabba isn't a jacket.....thats the whole point of it.....
  • Chris87 wrote:
    the gabba isn't a jacket.....thats the whole point of it.....

You are right, it is not a jacket. my mistake using wrong term. neither the two alternatives i came across, they are not classified as jackets.
  • flasher
    clincher3 wrote:
    The idea of the Gabba is good, the marketing is fantastic but the product is not what you think. i have been searching for similar jacket and done lots of research. the best one for now is Parentini [ The Mossa ] and Rapha soft shell. the reason is that they both use Windtex fabric whileas Castelli use Windstopper. i can elaborate more if someone would like to know more, i was sent a PDF from Parentini UK distributor explaining the details of their item.

bit of Pain to find the Parentini in th UK but i think you can order through the distributor, the Rapha one is easy found if you get the cash to spend. [ 185 for P. £260 Rpaha]

I shall be looking out for the Parentini being worn on the bad weather stages at next years Giro :|
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    The product is good, there is a reason most riders in the pro peloton chose it over their own kit suppliers alternatives including the sky boys.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    The idea of the Gabba is good, the marketing is fantastic but the product is not what you think. i have been searching for similar jacket and done lots of research. the best one for now is Parentini [ The Mossa ] and Rapha soft shell. the reason is that they both use Windtex fabric whileas Castelli use Windstopper. i can elaborate more if someone would like to know more, i was sent a PDF from Parentini UK distributor explaining the details of their item.

I shall be looking out for the Parentini being worn on the bad weather stages at next years Giro :|

I am not sure everything worn/used by Pros is a measure of quality.
  • goonz wrote:
    The product is good, there is a reason most riders in the pro peloton chose it over their own kit suppliers alternatives including the sky boys.

thats just the point, have you read the Gabba technical info????
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Monty Dog wrote:

Would you recommend the convertible? I think I'd prefer it to having a short sleeve Gabba with nanoflex armwarmers, but interested in your experience with it

I have a convertible. I haven't got a SS, so can't comment the other way round. For me, yes, I like mine and I guess you even get a bit more protection on the shoulders, as the arms zip up and round them. I personally tend to be a dryish weather rider in the past and only have been caught out in bits of rain here and there (in that I mean I don't tend to go out if it is bucketing when I leave) and it has held up well. Maybe I need to be in heavier rain, but I have not had seepage myself. More the other way that I have sweated in it.

I got mine from Evans the other year in the sale with one of their extra extra deals so paid good money for it
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • flasher
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

When those pros are spending their own money on said item and not using their sponsored kit I'd say it's a very good endorsement.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I actually prefer the older Gabba. Mine comes with Garmin Cervelo markings as its the team version but the new one doesnt have the eyelets.

Its all about the eyelets.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • kingstonian
    brettjmcc wrote:
    Monty Dog wrote:

I have a convertible. I haven't got a SS, so can't comment the other way round. For me, yes, I like mine and I guess you even get a bit more protection on the shoulders, as the arms zip up and round them. I personally tend to be a dryish weather rider in the past and only have been caught out in bits of rain here and there (in that I mean I don't tend to go out if it is bucketing when I leave) and it has held up well. Maybe I need to be in heavier rain, but I have not had seepage myself. More the other way that I have sweated in it.

I got mine from Evans the other year in the sale with one of their extra extra deals so paid good money for it

Mate, thanks very much for the info. Really appreciate it.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Thanks for the Evans tip.
    Have just ordered one to give it a go.

Have never really liked either of the colours. Black looks nice but I avoid black on a bike, and yellow/red is a bit nauseating IMO.
    Went for yellow long sleeve jersey as if its for bad weather then that would seem to make the most sense.
    Will be interesting to see how sizing fits and if I actually keep it.

What are the eyelets for? 8)
  • brettjmcc
    brettjmcc Posts: 1,361
    Carbonator wrote:
    What are the eyelets for? 8)

I hang fluro ribbons out of mine so drivers can see me on those clod dark days :roll:

In all seriousness. I am going to to reproof mine when I get back from holiday, so will let people know how it goes.
    BMC GF01
    Quintana Roo Cd01
    Project High End Hack
    Cannondale Synapse SL (gone)
    I like Carbon
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I heard Gabba in a rave once...
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    The eyelets are so water can run out of the pockets if it's really hammering down. The thought is otherwise they would fill up though that's hard to imagine :?
  • Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

When those pros are spending their own money on said item and not using their sponsored kit I'd say it's a very good endorsement.

i really doubt this is a fact!!! there is another story to riders wearing it.
  • DavidJB wrote:
    I heard Gabba in a rave once...

:lol::lol::lol:

I often wonder if any of the folk wearing it realise what Gabba also means...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainstream_hardcore

Hardcore will never die etc.
  • flasher
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:
    Flasher wrote:
    clincher3 wrote:

i really doubt this is a fact!!! there is another story to riders wearing it.

http://blog.castelli-cycling.com/2013/0 ... see-gabba/

You're the one saying it's not what we think, so enlighten us as to why the Parentini is the real deal, do you work for them?