Wet weather gear

philsalliss
philsalliss Posts: 175
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
Know that the weather is going to get progressively worse and wet can anyone suggest some reasonable priced wet gear for cycling to work. I cycle most days and am really enjoying but with the wet weather coming don't want to stop

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    How far do you travel, how much money are we talking?

Commuting in bike specific clothing makes a big difference, lycra gets wet but doesn't get heavy.

Have you got mudguards? Most of the time water will be coming from the road.

Overshoes next. I don't mind being wet but wet feet are not at all pleasant.

Depending on how heavy the rain is, I just wear something windproof to keep the chill off, however I rode home in a downpour yesterday in my new DHB waterproof (£60 ish from Wiggle), it's heavier and less compact than some, kept me more or less dry. I've never bothered with waterproof trousers.
  • It's 7 miles so not to far. Don't mind getting wet going home but would prefer not to be putting damp kit back on again on way home. Have got some winter overshoes and a think waterproof louis garneau jacket that I got from evans.

I'll def get mudguards but don't have have fittings on my bike so I would think my choice is limited. Ideally just want some sort of cheap over suit that I can pull over normal kit if heavy rain. I have motorbikes and have an oversuit that I can wear over normal kit so something similar woud be good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The trouble is you aren't working hard on a motorbike, wear anything like that while cycling and instead of getting wet from rain you sweat like mad which is worse.

I wear normal MTB shoes, MTB water resistant (not proof) shorts and a base layer T-shirt, when it rains I use a wind proof top to stop it stinging and making me cold, but still get wet, but at least I don't sweat.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tootsie323
    tootsie323 Posts: 199
    My commute takes me xcountry, so I use a hardtail XC MTB. No guards - I have broken more than one in the past simply by falling off! For me, a fast-wicking top is sufficient - I'm going to get wet anyway and, as I wear a backpack (with a rainproof cover when needed) a rainproof jacket just retains the sweat I generate (the bteathable mesh trapped aganist the backpack). All I really need are better shorts for the rain - otherwise not a problem.

Having said all that, your route may be totally different, and none of the above is relevant at all! But I would stress not going overboard on waterproofs if you are likely to sweat. If it's all road, mudguards are a big bonus.

EDIT: asterisked part says " f a s t w i c k i n g" - obviously too close to a censored word (or two).
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The key things to remember are:

Skin is waterproof
    It's not getting wet that is the problem, it's getting cold
    Don't bother putting anything waterproof on your legs, at most tights, or 3/4s
    Mudguards are your friend

Basically get a breathable jacket that keeps you slightly warm. I use the old eVent jacket from Wiggle (good for down to 0C in the Winter as well)
    Overshoes are great if you don't have winter / waterproof shoes (I have both for the really cold days)

You *need* mudguards when it turns wet as:
    You
    Your drivechain
    Your bike
    Everyone behind you

...will suffer if you don't have them

The key to wet weather riding is staying warm, not dry and water conducts heat far more quickly than air. So keep yourself a warm layer against the skin.

Oh, and hand dryers at work dry lycra REALLY quickly
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • mr_eddy
    mr_eddy Posts: 830
    In my experience mud guards are the best and only real option. I have tried lots of different water proof clothing options and they all let water in or have some other issue - Guards will keep the road water off and the rain coming down should dry pretty quickly.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I'm with KB on this one, until it get too cold (routinely less than 10C) don't worry about anything but mud guards and overshoes. Even if it feels cold when you set off you can easily warm up in 5-10 minutes. So if you overdress you either have to slow down to reduce sweat output from soaking you from within or strip layers off mid ride which also slows you down.

As it gets colder add knee, arm and leg warmers, base layers and longer 3/4 or full tights.

Once it's cold add a decent soft shell jacket, it'll keep you warm and the worst of the wet off.

In my experience good neoprene overshoes will get you through a winter or three (if you avoid walking and never ride flat pedals in in them) and cost around £30. I've used ProRace and Endura.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.