Met Parachute, old vs new 2014

realnumber 1
realnumber 1 Posts: 675
edited September 2014 in MTB general
Well I received my new Met Parachute the other day (in time for my trip to the Alps next week :) )

I've not ridden with it yet but it fits well and although the old one was well up to the job I wanted from it the new one is definitely a step up on the burliness side of things. It looks superb and feels like a very good quality product and I wouldn't say it's too over priced. Airflow seems good after sticking my head in front of my desk fan but I guess I good ride will see how it performs better.

So anyway I thought seeing as the old one caused so much controversy over the years I'd popup a few pics so people can compare them together!

IMG_20140803_175947_zps2mlmj7ew.jpg

IMG_20140803_175922_zpsa2a7t87a.jpg

IMG_20140803_175856_zpsolljmpzh.jpg

IMG_20140803_175832_zpslbnwzzfg.jpg

IMG_20140801_235843_zpsgrvcx7fs.jpg

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    If it worked when you put your face in a fan it must be good!
    I just don't see the purpose of it. When I feel the need for a full face helmet I wear a proper one, when I don't need one I use an xc helmet. I don't really see when I would need something in between.
    Either you're likely to land on your face or you aren't. There aren't really different levels of mashing your face in to the ground/tree/rocks/wall.
  • It's certified according to American Standard ASTM F1952 , the only authority in the field of full-face helmets for bicycles. So I'd say the chin guard is more than up to the job!

I wanted the safety of the full face whatever riding I do without the bulk and heat of most others. No one can predict which fall will "mash your face in", it could be while riding your XC.... This suits me just fine!
  • rockmonkeysc
    So will that do the same job as a proper downhill helmet then?
    I have a feeling I may get turned away from the start line of a DH race if I turn up in one of those. I have seen it happen to someone with the Urge equivalent which I believe has the same approval.
  • Well it passes the same tests as a "proper downhill" helmet as you put and also there are some pro enduro riders using them so make of that what you will!

Much the same as a small car might get a 5* euro ncap compared to a large car getting 5*

Sounds like it's a good job I wont be entering any downhill races any time soon... But for what I class as AM/aggressive trail ridding it's bob on :wink: .
  • So will that do the same job as a proper downhill helmet then?
    I have a feeling I may get turned away from the start line of a DH race if I turn up in one of those. I have seen it happen to someone with the Urge equivalent which I believe has the same approval.

For info, it should do...
    http://enduro-mtb.com/en/revolution-in- ... chute-hes/

Our Opinion on the new MET Parachute HES:
    Any doubts that the extremely light MET Parachute HES does not provide the full security of a heavy full face helmet are unfounded, in fact the Parachute offers the same if not greater protection than most traditional full face helmets on the market, exceeding the american full face standard certification ASTM-F1952-2032. By using different materials, the revolutionary construction enables MET to offer “full” full face protection at only 700g. Due to its extremely good ventilation and low weight, it not only makes the second helmet in the race superfluous, it is especially recommended for fast laps on home trails. Here the helmet will offer an enormous gain of safety compared to a traditional open-face helmet while on the hunt for the next Strava KOM.
  • I like it!

How low is the chin guard? I always thought it was too high on the old one.
  • I like it!

How low is the chin guard? I always thought it was too high on the old one.

It's just like any other guard now.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    So will that do the same job as a proper downhill helmet then?

its not a DH helmet TBF
  • rockmonkeysc
    It leaves a lot more of your face exposed than a downhill helmet which has an opening just big enough for goggles.
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    It leaves a lot more of your face exposed than a downhill helmet which has an opening just big enough for goggles.

As POAH said it doesnt seem marketed as a DH helmet :roll:

I imagine it is aimed at people who might otherwise buy a bell super style helmet but with a touch more protection.

The two questions for me are: 1) is the extra protection worth the extra warmth for long xc rides and 2) will having a 'full-face light' give a greater feeling of security leading to cheques being cashed that can't be honoured. Only the purchaser can answer those.
  • It leaves a lot more of your face exposed than a downhill helmet which has an opening just big enough for goggles.

And you know that from trying one on in the shop before they were even released right?
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Think it looks really good, ideal enduro territory on the gnarlier tracks.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • rockmonkeysc
    The claims that it's as protective as a downhill helmet and as cool as an xc helmet seem a bit exaggerated to me. If that's true, no one will ever buy any other helmet.
    You can tell that there is more face exposure than a DH photos, the chin bar is half as deep as normal. I wouldn't like the big xc style vents for downhill, risk of sticks poking through and that's usually where helmets split apart which is part of impact absorption but leaves your swede exposed if you're still bouncing down the trail.
  • poah
    its far too expensive - if it was 1/2 price I'd consider it for my riding rather than my 661 comp shifted
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    You can get a bell super and a 661 comp for less than one of these. I would imagine it's a master of none situation.
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • poah
    bell super doesn't have a face guard though
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I just don't see the purpose of it. When I feel the need for a full face helmet I wear a proper one, when I don't need one I use an xc helmet. I don't really see when I would need something in between.
    Either you're likely to land on your face or you aren't. There aren't really different levels of mashing your face in to the ground/tree/rocks/wall.

So it isn't aimed at you so don't buy one, simple. I'm of a similar position, if I want more protection than my open face I'll use my proper full face however if the full face enduro rules come to light again then I can see my view changing. I can however see how it would suit other riders, there's nothing wrong with wanting a little extra protection than an open face, believe it or not some people don't ride as fast or on the same trails as you.

If you actually look at it, it doesn't look that different to a normal full face. Definitely far better than the Urge.

p4pb11180895.jpg
    POAH wrote:

I spy with my little eye :wink:

s780_DT_EWSCO_Friday_10.jpg?1406369626

It's called the Bell Super 2R if you're interested. Would definitely be the one I'd buy if I was getting one of these helmets, love my normal Super.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Next years BC enduro helmet rules will be the same as their downhill helmet rules (i have a very reliable source at BC) so that could mean half arsed full face helmets will be banned.
  • peter413
    If that does happen I'd be interested to hear why they ban them if they've passed the same standards of protection. In effect they'd be saying "we don't like the look of your helmet so let's just ban it".
  • poah
    peter413 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

It's called the Bell Super 2R if you're interested. Would definitely be the one I'd buy if I was getting one of these helmets, love my normal Super.

this is a bell super - get your helmet names fully correct in future :wink:

p5pb9417060.jpg
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    POAH wrote:

He's quoting the lid in the picture as the Super 2R as opposed to the regular Super.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • peter413
    POAH wrote:
    peter413 wrote:
    POAH wrote:

p5pb9417060.jpg

Did you notice what I wrote underneath? It is called a Bell Super 2R and looks to be a Super with an extra attachment just like the Parachute.
  • rockmonkeysc
    peter413 wrote:
    If that does happen I'd be interested to hear why they ban them if they've passed the same standards of protection. In effect they'd be saying "we don't like the look of your helmet so let's just ban it".

They banned lycra in DH racing because it didn't give the right image.
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:

And I, along with others, still think that was a stupid thing to do. If it's faster then racers should be allowed to choose to wear it. I'm not saying they won't do it, in fact I won't be the least bit surprised if they do, but that doesn't stop it being stupid.
  • peter413 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

And I, along with others, still think that was a stupid thing to do. If it's faster then racers should be allowed to choose to wear it. I'm not saying they won't do it, in fact I won't be the least bit surprised if they do, but that doesn't stop it being stupid.

Wasn't it more along the lines of some of the big names wouldn't wear it, would deem it to be an unfair advantage and would "probably" just set up their own series?

The UCI is a bag of crock anyway, they should be banned.
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

Wasn't it more along the lines of some of the big names wouldn't wear it, would deem it to be an unfair advantage and would "probably" just set up their own series?

The UCI is a bag of crock anyway, they should be banned.

There was likely several reasons, all just as pointless as each other.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Nissan demanded that lycra was banned in UCI DH racing as a condition of them sponsoring the series. UCI introduced the rule and Nissan pulled out of sponsorship anyway. It's one of those pointless rules that was never removed.
  • Next years BC enduro helmet rules will be the same as their downhill helmet rules (i have a very reliable source at BC) so that could mean half arsed full face helmets will be banned.

Would that be the same shop you tried on the new parachute and decided it was shit before it was released lol :roll: .

You seem to be making a lot of assumptions about the helmet that go against any of the reviews for it such as the one I posted above.
    Maybe your judgement is clouded by your quite possibly unfounded opinion of the old one because you've read (on the tinterweb) a few tales of peoples faces being cut off by the old guard....
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    That's like saying dropper posts are pointless as you should just be going up or downhill, not both. Large cassettes also along with adjustable suspension.....
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    POAH wrote:

I think you may have missed my point. :roll:
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.