Garmin Edge 'how to's'

andyc-43
andyc-43 Posts: 44
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Hope this is in the right place!

I recently got myself a Garmin Edge Touring, mainly so I can plan some rides without the need to carry o/s maps.
I've found the maps on it don't show bridleways or tracks, so its doesn't seem possible to plan a route and sync it to the unit. Tried letting the unit select a 25mile ride the other day (made the sure mountain bike setting was on) and it sent me on the road for the whole time.

I can plan a route on the OS getmap site and save it as a GPX file, but I cant seem to able to send it to the garmin. What am doing wrong? Im running the new garmin connect and it syncs ok.

Is it possible to run os maps on it too?

Andy

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    In a word No.
    From the Spiel on Garmin and reviews it uses similar maps to the Garmin sat-navs.Although it has an MTB option it's not really an off-road GPS.
    If you want OS mapping you'll need to get either a higher spec Garmin unit or a Satmap Active/Memorymap GPS etc.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Isn't the touring exactly that? An edge made for those who like to tour on road?

Not looked into it but that was my take from it based on the marketing, might explain why it ain't going off road and I'd doubt any gps (the edge 800 can't) just plot an off road route.
  • andyc-43
    andyc-43 Posts: 44
    Was all I could afford at the time as the 800 is so expensive.
    In the settings under routing option you can select cycling, touring or mountain biking and theres settings for selecting,deselecting unpaved roads and narrow trails.
  • Briggo
    I don't see how it can plan and provide/show an off road route if you don't have the OS maps with it.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Briggo wrote:
    I don't see how it can plan and provide/show an off road route if you don't have the OS maps with it.
    It can't :mrgreen:
    As you said it's aimed at road/touring cyclists.
    andyc-43 wrote:
    In the settings under routing option you can select cycling, touring or mountain biking and theres settings for selecting,deselecting unpaved roads and narrow trails.
    Yes but it doesn't state anywhere that it is compatible/uses OS mapping!
    I can't tell you how to spend your hard-earned but if it were me I'd have splashed out on a unit that uses OS mapping.These can be had for around £250 :wink:
  • Briggo
    andyc-43 wrote:

But even 180 is still a lot of money to spunk on something you've clearly not done enough research on.
  • mac-cos
    mac-cos Posts: 80
    I think part of the problem is the map bridleway/tracks aren't "routable" on the maps used on the touring (or even on OS Mapping) though you can create an GPX route on a suitable map product and save it to the Touring new files? folder which will upload as a route you can follow on next power on. I've used to in basecamp to create a route from the Tourings installed Map that I've saved back to the touring and followed . Note as these map tracks aren't coded as routeable it often says your off route as you can only plot way points . I think its also possible to save a previous GPS track and covert that to a routeble GPX file and send that back to the device but this needs someone to have recorded the GPS track 1st. PS I don't think the 800 or others are any different to the Touring in this respect.