Canyon Endurace | Campagnolo Chorus | Grey/Blue

EKIMIKE
EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
edited January 2015 in Your road bikes
tmeXRlf.jpg

So here we go. This is a completely standard spec model, nothing has been changed and I don't plan for any changes except for the saddle, maybe. As you see it in the pictures here, it has been dialed in perfectly for me - so the spacer stack needs to disappear. It's a size L, for large.

yXHxRTq.jpg

Using the wholly un-reliable method of *man + bike on scales*, it weighed in at around 7.4 - 7.6kg. The scales couldn't make their mind up. Nevertheless, this bike isn't about weight. Here are some details...

s48GRF0.jpgZ7drgx6.jpg

There is a whole load of material in the BB area. The seat-tube is comparatively slender.

VCf8mpy.jpg?1mzbePA2.jpg?1

The downtube is huge and the chainstays are far more sculpted than my older Ultimate CF model.

LTvx5pO.jpg?1867uE7I.jpg?1

I really like the seatpost. I'm hoping it lends a tangible difference to the ride. If not, it looks feckin' sweet anyway.

z3axVOw.jpg

Now to ride the shi-ite out of the thing before summer is over!

Comments

• the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Nice to see one in the wild. Certainly looks the business.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • V-Nice. understated, industrial design.

What stops that split in the seatpost flexing and cracking the carbon tube? Is that why Canyon has had some frames crack in that area.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    That is a very nice looker. The "... spacer stack...." may look a little untidy, but the longer the steerer the better the resale value if you come to sell!
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I like that...nice colour ways, subtle branding, not splashed on every tube like previous bikes....
  • EKIMIKE
    V-Nice. understated, industrial design.

What stops that split in the seatpost flexing and cracking the carbon tube? Is that why Canyon has had some frames crack in that area.

Completely agree on the industrial design. IMO Canyon's aren't good looking in the sense of beautiful, classic aesthetic but they have a purposeful look that is pleasing to the eye.

There have been some problems with cracking around the top of the seat-tube where the collar is. So far I have only seen this on the Ultimate SLX model. This model is new so it's unclear whether or not it will be affected by the same problem. Fingers crossed that it won't!

The 2.0 seatpost has been around for quite a while now and these problems have only seemed to emerge recently so perhaps the issue is just isolated to the new Ultimate SLX model or perhaps the slimmed down collar that they were issuing with that model.
  • EKIMIKE wrote:
    V-Nice. understated, industrial design.

Completely agree on the industrial design. IMO Canyon's aren't good looking in the sense of beautiful, classic aesthetic but they have a purposeful look that is pleasing to the eye.

There have been some problems with cracking around the top of the seat-tube where the collar is. So far I have only seen this on the Ultimate SLX model. This model is new so it's unclear whether or not it will be affected by the same problem. Fingers crossed that it won't!

The 2.0 seatpost has been around for quite a while now and these problems have only seemed to emerge recently so perhaps the issue is just isolated to the new Ultimate SLX model or perhaps the slimmed down collar that they were issuing with that model.

Yeah- I have a feeling its something to do with the collar and flex in the 2.0 seatpost thats fracturing some setups. Would be interested in your ride review, hopefully it will fulfil its fast racy yet comfortable purpose without giving away that stiff off the mark pace Canyons are known for.
  • EKIMIKE
    Should get around 80-100 miles in tomorrow. Taking it back to Bristol with me for the remainder of the summer so by the end of next week I should have clocked some good mileage. I'll certainly give my thoughts.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    meagain wrote:
    That is a very nice looker. The "... spacer stack...." may look a little untidy, but the longer the steerer the better the resale value if you come to sell!

The cleaner and more original it is the better the resale value if you come to sell it. So best not ride it at all then. Clean it, pop it back in the box.

What a load of tosh. Cut the steerer when you want to and hang if/when/maybe/maybe not/sometime/perhaps you may sell/not sell it.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Awesome colour scheme. It sucks that the Roadlite doesn't come in blue.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • jerehada
    jerehada Posts: 24
    On the seat post.. I heard a knocking noise on bumpy roads. Turned out to be the seat post flexing about half a cm to knock on the 4 led long cateye light fixed to it !

Not sure why your head spacer arrangement is different to mine, my bars are higher with no spacers above. Do they fine tune the sizing based in the dimensions given on the order ?
  • EKIMIKE
    jerehada wrote:
    Not sure why your head spacer arrangement is different to mine, my bars are higher with no spacers above. Do they fine tune the sizing based in the dimensions given on the order ?

Nope. I know the dimensions for my ideal setup and changed the bike accordingly. Part of the reason I bought the thing was that it fits like a glove.

I simply whipped the stem off and put the spacers on top.

Managed to get some good distance in today. In terms of comfort - great stuff. That seatpost does work and you can feel it working - but at the same time it's not excessive to the point of being a distraction. Of course it's not life changing stuff and it's effect shouldn't be overstated but it works. Others riding the bunch commented that they could see it flexing. The whole package, with the tyres and wheels too, makes for a very smooth ride. More so than other bikes I've ridden.

Comparing it with my Ultimate, this model doesn't seem to have lost any of that zippy edge. It feels solid on the hills. As solid as the Ultimate and that respect that is where these bikes excel.

All in all it's more or less faultless.
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    SCR Pedro wrote:

Eh what?
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Just added it to my list of "potential next bike"...whenever that next one happens...
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    MrSweary wrote:
    SCR Pedro wrote:

Eh what?

It was red-black or nothing for me. At least for the frameset only option.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • cjn72
    cjn72 Posts: 5
    Beautiful. Mine is due next week - same colour and spec...these shots have convinced I've made a good choice. Great to see that 'graphite grey' in the wild....it was hard to judge from the website promo shots.

One thing - the saddle - I thought the stock saddle was the Fizik Aliante (not the Selle Italia on yours)....was this your spec??

No matter I guess.

I've also already got these in prep to put on her....

http://wheelworks.co.nz/cliffs-rail-wheelset/

Just cannot wait.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    That's a very tidy bike, like it a lot.
  • Ekimike, what are your measurements? Am thinking of getting one of these but not sure whether a L or XL would be best (am on borderline between). I am 187 tall (just under 6ft 2in) with inseam of 91cm (35.5in). Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
  • EKIMIKE
    cjn72 wrote:
    One thing - the saddle - I thought the stock saddle was the Fizik Aliante (not the Selle Italia on yours)....was this your spec??

It was meant to come with the Aliante. Some on the Endurace thread in 'Road Buying Advice' have suggested that if this happens, you can contact Canyon and they will supply the Aliante in due course - there was a supply chain delay.

I'm getting on okay with the Selle Italia - not 100% sure about it. I've done around 200 miles on it now. I usually ride a Charge Spoon. I might request an Aliante and see how they compare.
  • EKIMIKE
    paddyg77 wrote:
    Ekimike, what are your measurements? Am thinking of getting one of these but not sure whether a L or XL would be best (am on borderline between). I am 187 tall (just under 6ft 2in) with inseam of 91cm (35.5in). Any thoughts appreciated.

I'm roughly 6ft 1.5in. I can't quite remember my inseam but it's not too far off 90cm IIRC. You won't have any issues with the inseam measurement at any rate. I've got plenty of room to manoeuvre either way on the seatpost.

The only thing you may have an issue with is the reach and handlebar height. The reach is pretty short and would put most normal people in a very upright position. I've got an unusually short reach so it suits me fine with the standard spec. stem length. The headtube is fairly tall too. If it was any taller it would be too tall for me but luckily for me it's perfect with no spacers under the stem. The glove-like fit was a major part of the appeal of this bike for me.

Ride Update

After a couple hundred miles, I can say that not much has changed from my initial impressions. The ride is very smooth, particularly at the back - more so than my old Ultimate CF. It's very stiff and still feels lively. The front end is particularly stiff, as you would expect from Canyon's oversize steerer. This in particular feels great out of the saddle, on the hills.

I can't complain with the wheels. They still run true, as you would expect. They're not remarkably stiff while not being noodles. They spin up nicely and they're a pleasant weight for the hills. Of course, the fact that they are 23mm wide is a major plus from a comfort perspective. I'm running the front and rear tyres at 85psi and 95psi respectively. For context, I weigh around 80 kilo's.
  • Cheers Ekimike, sounds like you are of a similar size to me. I think the XL might be the better bet for me though, as i have long arms (aswell as legs) but am not the most flexible. The taller stack and longer reach of the XL would help giving a more stretched out but higher position! If it's wrong i can always send back within the 30 day period!

Was also looking at a Synapse or a Defy, but the value for £ of the Canyon is so much better. My only concern is dealing with Canyon if things go wrong; i've read some bad things about their customer service. I'd rather not buy from one of the big brands and think the Endurace looks awesome so am prepared to take the risk! If i order now won't be ready until mid-late september though :(
  • EKIMIKE
    edited August 2014
    Honestly, I don't think their customer service is as bad as 'the internet' suggests. Unfortunately for Canyon they are extremely popular and have an online only model. That combination leads to a lot of internet savvy customers buying bikes from them and it's a very transparent process, leaving Canyon open to easy criticism for example with published delivery estimates. When things go wrong (inevitably with such volume) these internet savvy customers seem to jump straight onto the forums. Forum threads inevitably generate momentum and everyone who's had any issues, even if small, can add their two pennies worth.

Save for the recent seatpost/frame cracking issues I haven't come across a consistent flaw in their products or service (internet or real world). I'd wager that 95% of customers get great service with no hitches in the order process.

Customer service isn't part of Canyon's appeal but ultimately, the warranty is way above average, the value for money is way above average and most importantly the bikes perform way above average. (That last one may be a tad subjective :wink:)
  • Thanks for sharing the pics and initial impressions EKIMIKE. Really lovely looking bike and sounds like it rides as well as it looks.

Glad you are liking your purchase.
  • EKIMIKE
    mattyarse wrote:
    Thanks for sharing the pics and initial impressions EKIMIKE. Really lovely looking bike and sounds like it rides as well as it looks.

Glad you are liking your purchase.

Thanks, I took it on a very demanding loop today - lots of hills with a vertical Km in 45 miles, 19% grades, plenty of poor road surfaces, some near cyclocross and a bucket load of rain. It was a pleasure to ride (kinda helps that I'm going well too).
  • EKIMIKE
    Some pictures from a short ride this evening. This is Wraxall, just south east of Bristol, looking over towards the airport on top of the hills:

zGe2Nw8.jpg?1

FqsjCjZ.jpg?1

rkJxxLM.jpg?1
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Good riding around there. I especially enjoyed the ride Blagdon and Cheddar Gorge. Some decent hills.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Nice shots. Love the bike styling...
  • Hi Ekimike (and anyone else that now has a Endurace).

Just wondering, I have a new Endurace and am having an issue with looseness/excessive flex/movement in the front end. Ie when you apply front break, some weight on saddle, you can feel movement in headset area that just shouldn't be there.

What is interesting about this is that bike mechanic says there is no mechanical problem in headset, bearings etc and more worrying a pro bike fitter I know says he has got hands on with 3 Enduraces now and all 3 have the same problem.

I'm torn, because like you I'm loving the bike. Its awesome to ride, but something seems fundamentally wrong with the frame/fork/headset. Its enough movement to know it just should be there in a new bike.

Is it something you have noticed? Rest your body on saddle, apply front brake and see how much movement there is forward/backward. Its a worry.
  • EKIMIKE
    Nope. Not noticed anything. Just done a little test and there's nothing like you describe.

Tried talking to Canyon about it?
  • EKIMIKE
    So, the saddle isn't much to my liking on longer rides. I have Charge saddles on my other bikes so I've plumped for another. I've gone for the bold move of tan brown... I have a feeling it may go better on the Ultimate - we'll see!

I'd be interested to hear opinions.

P3QXrQH.jpg

414C5sWBfmL._SY300_.jpg
  • What size is your endurace and how tall are you? I'm 5ft9 deciding between small or medium.