Canyon Endurace CF

Comments

• jerehada
    jerehada Posts: 24
    edited August 2014
    Mine was delivered today after arriving in the country last week.

Nicely packaged including guides tools, assembly paste! and manuals in a nice holder. I have the Fizik saddle in all black. It looks sensational in Stealth I've taken photos but they don't do it justice the chunkiness of the frame. Up close there are no Carbon weaves peaking through the paint. The stealth look includes a rubbed up section on top of the down tube to make it look more industrial and is dead easy to keep looking clean. The lettering is simply a stickers not something smooth below paint lacquer. It maybe possible with a hair dryer to change the colour scheme from red to cyan ! Small detail but on the SL in the pictures there are lovely shaped internal cable routing entry holes incorporated into the frame design these are not on the Endurace, just a hole on entry and a plastic grommet on exit, shame maybe they are too expensive to do? The polished wheel hubs are lovely the rims look Ok but not as special as the Mavics on the SL9. Tyres nice but for me puncture prone in the wet.

At low speed I also could feel some softness from the front I increased the pressure to~ 110 psi and it seems fine at speed (20 + mph turning), perhaps its a low speed thing do with stretching the tyre? The response/ transfer of power is noticeably better than my Campag Ribble Grand Fundo, the biggest difference though is the ride. On broken roads around the town where I live you can keep peddling before I was in and out of the saddle all the time. The wheels tyres and frame are genuinely impressive in this respect.

In terms of the new ultegra 11 speed if the front derailleur rubs on the 10th and 11th gear what's the point ? or did Canyon not set it up correctly? Front mech does change with very little effort brakes good. Now done a few hundred miles and have had to book the bike in to adjust the gears. Taking a new Canyon to your local bike shop is a recipe for long faces. At the moment I'm pining for my scruffy old Campag Veloce, the obedient click clack of a requested gear, hope they can setup the ultegra. IMO the ultegra main difference over the 105 is the expensive metal finishing.

I weighed it on my suitcase scales it weight 7.28kgs without peddles (large). For comparison my Ribble in size XL with hard shells, SL pedals and Cateye is 9.06kgs. Not bad !

I am 190cm/63" 89cm inside leg and chose large as per site recommendation, knees line up fine with centre line of pedal. Main characteristic is it does feel fairly upright the shorter top tube compared to what I call the copy Italian geometry of the Ribble. When I line up the cranks the reach is ~2cm less for the same stack same as Ribble Grand Fundo, so thats why I feel like a barn door at times. It is no Roubaix/Domane, should I have gone for the XL? not sure, maybe... I may change the stem from 110 to 120. This is all personal preference I can feel the geometry is allowing me to put down power just fine.
  • rickeverett
    rickeverett Posts: 988
    I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm eyeing up a Rose or the Endurance CF.

Only thing that's put me off the CF is a couple of reports that its Endurance factor has traded off the get up and go / squirt of there other bikes.
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    I'm watching this thread with interest as I'm eyeing up a Rose or the Endurance CF.

Only thing that's put me off the CF is a couple of reports that its Endurance factor has traded off the get up and go / squirt of there other bikes.
    where did you read these reports rick?
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • jerehada wrote:
    I'll edit when I have ridden more.

Could you add some paragraphs as well?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • jerehada

I don't feel any slack or tardiness in the frame, but you'd need an SL/SLX etc. to compare back to back. Although the smoother ride might make people think its lost a fraction ...
  • Nesfyl
    Nesfyl Posts: 24
    I did compare the two back to back in the Canyon factory. The SLX felt stiffer for sure. But I think this was not down to the frame but the wheels: The Mavic SLRs on the SLX I tried are a lot stiffer than the DTSwiss (with 25c tyres) on the Endurace. I never felt the Endurace to be tardy though, but on the SLX you immediately know you're on a race bike and urges you to behave accordingly. Not so on the Endurace. I am sure however that if I had both and did Strava segments my times would be similar.
  • jerehada
    More miles.... did 75 miles sportive, leisurely with friend but left him for the last 10 miles and managed open road Strava segment where I was 10th out of 750, that's fast for me, after 70 miles in 28 degrees, bike must be quick. Still main impression is smooth ride. Still fiddling with upper body comfort but that's normal. One point on setup the richey handlebars provide a line that suggests the right position for the handlebars. Check it because that line is a bit high for me and causes an uncomfortable wrist position until I changed it.
  • tomuswhu
    tomuswhu Posts: 4
    Hi Guys,
    First time poster, but i have been following this forum and site for a while. Thought I would add my opinion on here. I have just received my Endurance CF 9.0 in the Meteor Grey / Cyan today, a week early no less. Like what seems the case with everyone here, i was also a Specialized Allez rider prior to purchasing this bike!

I received an email whilst at Le Tour on Sunday saying it was being processed and it was delivered today! I have only taken it for a 5 min ride this evening and I must say, on a rough road and a hill it was lovely!
    I must note though, it has come with the stock Selle Italia saddle rather than the Fizik as Spec'd, however I believe this is a stock issue if i'm not mistaken? Also i have had a minor chip on the tip of the forks, hopefully the chaps over in Kingston can touch up!!

I should be taking this out for a nice 100km ride at the weekend so i will post a review for you all.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Had mine delivered this Tuesday (29th). Won't get hold of it until Saturday due to being on holiday and it being delivered to my parents house which is an hour away. Needless to say I'm pretty excited to go and pick it up!

I'll probs nab a few pictures and hopefully do a solid 80-100 miles on Sunday with the club.
  • hoody3000
    hoody3000 Posts: 10
    I received mine on Tuesday, went out for a quick ride, first thing I noticed was how smooth it felt, will have a proper ride the weekend. First impressions very impressive.
    Mine also came with the selle italia saddle so phoned Canyon up, the guy I spoke to explained it was a stock issue and they wouldn't be in until mid august, then today I got an email from Canyon to say my saddle was on it's way, so may be worth getting in touch with Canyon if it comes with the wrong saddle, the impression I got from the guy I spoke to was that they were waiting for people to contact them before they sent out the Fizik saddles.
  • Miles253
    Miles253 Posts: 535
    Lovely looking, btw Photobucket is very good for posting pics
    Canyon Roadlite AL-Shamal Wheels-Centaur/Veloce Group
    Canyon Ult CF SL- Spin Koppenberg-Ultegra group
  • I had my Endurance SL delivered 3 weeks later than original estimate. The frame was damaged, I'm assuming it was in transit as it surely would have had to pass an inspection before leaving. Anyway I contacted Canyon Uk and they had to order a new frame from Germany. When the new frame arrives with them, they are going to arrange the bike to be sent to them to do the frame swap and then send bike back to me. All in all it's been 2 weeks since I had the bike and I only had the email from Canyon yesterday to say the frame had arrived. It's very frustrating as it's a beautiful bike but it's sitting in a box in my hallway :-(. Quick edit, mine also came with Selle Itallia Race seat instead of Fizik Alliante as advertised
  • Just got back from a 70km stroll. I must say, its very fast compared to what i expected, and also very reactive, slaughtered my strava times. The wheels/tyres/saddle contribute to a nice smooth ride over some rough roads too. Very happy with the purchase. The only downside was the saddle which i didnt find too comfortable but i guess that is down to personal preference.
    I would encourage anyone who is considering the purchase to go for it!
  • jerehada
    @tomus I am also struggling with the Fizik saddle and missing my Richie Marathon, it's ok when you are on it, but if you want to move your weight back and take some weight off your wrists it's uncomfortable so much so you go back to your wrists which then ache on a longer ride. Wondering if it requires a smaller back side, than my 33-34" inch waist.
  • Mine has shipped on Tuesday. It's been a long wait since I placed my order on July 3rd.

I am expecting to receive it by next Monday. I Will upload photos and the review soon afterwards.
  • fuel2000
    fuel2000 Posts: 65
    yoonchee wrote:
    Mine has shipped on Tuesday. It's been a long wait since I placed my order on July 3rd.

I am expecting to receive it by next Monday. I Will upload photos and the review soon afterwards.

My Ultimate only took 2 days once it was shipped last week, so you should have it by the weekend :mrgreen:
  • redscouse
    redscouse Posts: 157
    Mine shipped yesterday..but I'm in usa for next ten days..ups will only ket me change delivery once they've made one attempt
    riding a canyon endurace
    spesh allez
  • fuel2000 wrote:
    yoonchee wrote:
    Mine has shipped on Tuesday. It's been a long wait since I placed my order on July 3rd.

My Ultimate only took 2 days once it was shipped last week, so you should have it by the weekend :mrgreen:

The bike is traveling from Germany to Korea, so it takes about 4 to 5 business days according to UPS. Anyways, super-excited about the new ride! ;)
  • jerehada
    edited August 2014
    Did the london prudential, torrential rain but the bike is something else, it's like you can free wheel passed others on the down slopes power passed on the hills and just have more than most on the flats, I'd say it is much better than the usual alternatives. Downside ... the continental gp 4000 s2 tyres gave up totally with the wet roads and small sharp flints. I had 4 punctures and one when I got home nice and light tyres but useless for adverse weather. Follow up ... More punctures whenever there is a shower 6 so far in the rain! Don't think the 4000s are up to it. Replaced with 25mm hardshells which are a couple of mm narrower, will run less air in them.
  • jerehada wrote:
    Did the london prudential, torrential rain but the bike is something else, it's like you can free wheel passed others on the down slopes power passed on the hills and just have more than most on the flats, I'd say it is much better than the usual alternatives. Downside ... the continental gp 4000 s2 tyres gave up totally with the wet roads and small sharp flints. I had 4 punctures and one when I got home nice and light tyres but useless for adverse weather.

I find gp4000's excellent in the wet up here... Mind you we don't have flint on the roads. Have had mine through gravel and all sorts in the wet for a thousand miles at the moment with no punctures.
  • jerehada
    edited August 2014

I find gp4000's excellent in the wet up here... Mind you we don't have flint on the roads. Have had mine through gravel and all sorts in the wet for a thousand miles at the moment with no punctures.

Apologies for straying off topic....

I really don't want to replace with the harder less comfortable, less grippy, slower hardshells (which I did 4k miles no probs) but I am finding it tough to to explain essentially a puncture disaster ride with the 4000s. I can change an inner tube and know about tyre pressures but I got 2 front 2 rear and just for good measure the front was flat again on return home after the race. They said on TV it was the stones washing off slopes but I was in the middle of the road and doing everything to keep out of the bad stuff, bad luck? The only diagnosis I could do on the last puncture showed a hole though the middle of the tube - too big for a thorn.

Can I ask wheat you weigh and your riding style tyre pressure? I'm 90kgs, I am beginning to think I am more comfortable with the bike sliding around a bit and that with my weight creates scrubbing action on the surface that leads to more punctures.

Maybe the answer is to keep the 4000s for dry weather and change to hardshells at the first sign of heavy rain.
  • jerehada wrote:

Apologies for straying off topic....

I really don't want to replace with the harder less comfortable, less grippy, slower hardshells (which I did 4k miles no probs) but I am finding it tough to to explain essentially a puncture disaster ride with the 4000s. I can change an inner tube and know about tyre pressures but I got 2 front 2 rear and just for good measure the front was flat again on return home after the race. They said on TV it was the stones washing off slopes but I was in the middle of the road and doing everything to keep out of the bad stuff, bad luck? The only diagnosis I could do on the last puncture showed a hole though the middle of the tube - too big for a thorn.

Can I ask wheat you weigh and your riding style tyre pressure? I'm 90kgs I suppose in Strava world I can be as high as top 10% but normally I'm middle of the pack, in the london I averaged moving 19mph. I am beginning to think I am more comfortable with the bike sliding around a bit and that with my weight creates scrubbing action on the surface that leads to more punctures.

Maybe the answer is to keep the 4000s for dry weather and change to hardshells at the first sign of heavy rain. This review somes up them up nicely as not all year round....

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Products/Thin ... _3946.html

I'm 75kg with a 8kg bike and run them around 90psi ish. Mainly do mid range 30-40 mile quick rides, some short and sprinty with the odd long one thrown in every now and then.

Roads around me can be very gritty and rough in parts as its in rural Lancashire.

Only problem was the last lot has a issue with the side wall where the fabric weave came away in long strands. I find the grip in the wet to be excellent too.
  • Hi All,

I am seriously considering ordering an Endurace, but i am a little bit nervous about getting the sizing right. I am 6ft 2ish (187cm) with an inseam of 35.5 inches (91 cm). Using the Canyon sizing this puts me on a size XL (60cm). Has anyone else with similar measurements bought one? Seems large to me as would normally look at a 58 cm, which would be a L for Canyon. However, looking at geometry of my current bike (Giant) it is more similar to the XL Canyon. So not sure whether to go L or XL. Any thoughts appreciated.
  • jerehada
    edited August 2014
    I am 63"ish about 190cm. As best as I can measure 89cm inside leg. 90cm is the threshold between large and XL. I bought a large.
    It was the same agonising dilemma for me, in fact I'd ordered an SL in the XL ignoring the reco and cancelled this for the Endurace in large with the slightly less radical geometry than the SL. It fits me fine, in my opinion you can make both sizes work. If you go large compared to the Giant Defy you will notice the lower stack and maybe the shorter top tube. Go XL if you want the longer top tube and greater stack position. I'd go with the reco as they know more than us and it's more important to get the legs right and adjust the upper body. If your longer legs are too long for the top tube and pedals thats more of a problem than needing a shorter stem.
  • Nesfyl
    paddyg77 wrote:
    Hi All,

I am seriously considering ordering an Endurace, but i am a little bit nervous about getting the sizing right. I am 6ft 2ish (187cm) with an inseam of 35.5 inches (91 cm). Using the Canyon sizing this puts me on a size XL (60cm). Has anyone else with similar measurements bought one? Seems large to me as would normally look at a 58 cm, which would be a L for Canyon. However, looking at geometry of my current bike (Giant) it is more similar to the XL Canyon. So not sure whether to go L or XL. Any thoughts appreciated.

Canyon's PPS system relies heavily on inside leg length for its recommendations. Assuming a 172.5mm crank, and using the 109% saddle height approach (I know it's not a panacea, but it's usually in the ballpark) you get a saddle height of 819.4 mm (BB to saddle top, along the seat tube). This fits both the L and XL sizes. In the former case you'd have 204mm of seat post showing (assuming saddle rails to top is 50mm), in the latter 174mm. They're both fine. So it all depends on the reach you want, and the stack. A stem of 110mm (at -6 degrees) will have the handlebars 704mm from the seatpost (horizontally) for the L, and 719 for the XL. The bar drop will be 121mm and 101mm respectively (assuming a 20mm spacer stack + 16mm for the arcos headset top). As I do not know your upper body dimensions and your flexibility, I can't recommend either. But you may want to consider a 120mm stem for the L (a 20 EUR surcharge) if you're happy with the lower position, this will add 10mm to the horizontal distance (approximately) and your drop will be 119mm. I was also in a dilemma, but as I'm taller (1.92m) and possess a longer inside leg (93.5cm) I am firmly planted in the XL camp.

Hope this helps
  • Cheers jerehada, think the XL will be the right one! For your size L does that mean because of the lower stack height that you have to bend down lower, so a more aggressive/racier position? I'm not the most flexible so would rather have a longer reach but less of a drop down to bars!

Nesfyl, my legs are long compared to my body and i'm not the most flexible so would XL give me a more stretched out but higher position compared to the L which would be shorter but much lower resulting in a more hunched position? I Have a L Giant at moment and i feel a bit 'perched' as the seatpost is set quite high relative to the bars! From what you have said i think the XL is probably the best bet!
  • jerehada
    paddyg77 wrote:
    Cheers jerehada, think the XL will be the right one! For your size L does that mean because of the lower stack height that you have to bend down lower, so a more aggressive/racier position? I'm not the most flexible so would rather have a longer reach but less of a drop down to

Yep I agree with that. I'm 45 and I like to think reasonably flexible for my age but the large is fairly racy for me you are over the bars with a fair reach down. There's a post on the endurace from someone in europe where he plots the geometry against other bikes and it's certainly more racy than say Robaix and Defy etc. I seem to remember the XL gets quite a bit more stack though compared to the large.
  • Nesfyl
    paddyg77 wrote:
    Nesfyl, my legs are long compared to my body and i'm not the most flexible so would XL give me a more stretched out but higher position compared to the L which would be shorter but much lower resulting in a more hunched position? I Have a L Giant at moment and i feel a bit 'perched' as the seatpost is set quite high relative to the bars! From what you have said i think the XL is probably the best bet!

If this is the case, yes the XL is probably the best bet. I'd advise you to take a look at the reach too because there is quite a difference between the tow sizes. I have set up a database for a lot of contemporary bikes with a sportive geometry as I'm also on the hunt, accessible here: http://goo.gl/fAhB3Z
    It's for personal use so viewers cannot change the parameters but for now it's configured for your dimensions (91cm inside leg, crank 175mm - for the XL model), and it'll stay like this for a couple of days. Take a look, take the tape measure out and compare to your Defy - your answer will be there among those numbers :D

Cheers,