Invisiframe

Antm81
Antm81 Posts: 1,406
edited August 2014 in MTB general
Got a new bike coming shortly and was wondering if invisiframe kits are worth the outlay.

Also how hard are they to fit yourself?

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends.

IMHO it's a mountain bike, gets dirty, scratched, I don't really care.

Many disagree.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I only covered the toptube on mine to stop damage from grit on my shorts rubbing and it's the part of the bike people see

Left the rest as it was, a few small paint chips and scuffs are there but I'm not that bothered and most and on the BB and rear so I only see them when cleaning

If you really want to protect it I'd say get it fitted, it will take a good few hours to do the whole bike and you'll get annoyed if you mess it up
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends.

Many disagree.

Hate to say it but I agree.
    Protection tape can look crap after a while and is a bitch to remove.
    I just protect the bottom 8" of the downtube with a bit of old tyre or innertube to protect from rock strikes which can cause proper damage.
  • Had all my SC's done. When done properly it's great. When done poorly like anything it's not good. I've had mine fitted by the owner of invisiframe and I cannot fault them, fitted perfectly.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends.

Many disagree.

Hate to say it but I agree.
    Protection tape can look crap after a while and is a ***** to remove.
    I just protect the bottom 8" of the downtube with a bit of old tyre or innertube to protect from rock strikes which can cause proper damage.

I'm with these guys. Chainstay protection of some sort, maybe bottom of underside of downtube like RmSC says and then something to stop a couple of the cable rub areas. Job done
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Antm81
    Thanks for the replies. I've got a few patches for cable rub already and chainstay protectors already so will probably just go with those.

Rockmonkey do you just cable tie the tyre/inner tube to the down tube?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Personally I won't be buying one when they cost twice as much as some 3M hell tape which is the exact same stuff, just you have to cut it yourself. I got 4 meters of the stuff for about £25 a couple of months ago, way more than you'd get in the Invisiframe kits I'd bet.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Heli tape - I made up some patches to protect all along the top tube and around the headtube - keep the cables from rubbing my nice carbon then chucked a few patches on around the brake hose at the rear too. Top tube stuff is still looking good, where its been stuck around the angle on the chain stay its not so good.

We stuck thick heli tape over lots of the exposed areas of our rental fleet when I worked in a bike rental shop - at the season end we whipped it all off and cleaned the bikes thoroughly - they did look like new for a bunch of bikes that had been ridden by hacks around a bike park.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • Antm81
    Thanks for the advice guys, despite getting some lizard skins leather patches I've put the stock giant one on to reduce cable rub, didn't take many, most of the cables are internal, will look at some helitape for the downtube too.
  • Anyone have a good source for 3M Tape as I've found some batches have been worse than others, almost going hard and brittle.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I wholeheartedly recommend the invisiframe kits. You're paying for the pre cutting, which is awesome and they fit like a glove.

It's also always high quality