Two possibly silly questions about tubeless tyres

pollys_bott
pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
So these have caught my eye...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/east ... prod119824

... and here are my possibly silly questions.

1) Does "Dura-Ace freehub" mean it will only take a DA cassette?
2) Are there specific tubeless clincher tyres that you have to use or can you use normal clinchers?
3) If you wanted to could you use normal clinchers with an inner tube on these wheels?

OK, three questions... :D

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    1) don't know what it means, it sounds daft

2&3) You can use tubeless tyres as tubeless or normal clinchers with inner tubes, your choice
    left the forum March 2023
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    I have these wheels and they are quite excellent when paired with Hutchinson Fusion tubeless tyres.

To answer your questions:
    1. yes, the ones on sale are only D-A 10 speed with the deeper splines in the cassette. I think some Ultegra 10s might also fit but not SRAM, 9-speed or 11-speed. Other freehubs are available as spares.
    2. these wheels are road tubeless certified and ideally suited to use with tubeless specific tyres, Hutchinson, Schwalbe et al.
    3. yes they are clinchers too but I can't think why you'd buy them for that, there are cheaper non-tubeless versions.

And a little bit of extra info: Easton have a new model EA90 (and EC90) for 2014 with the same tubeless rim but a new hub design. The R4 hub has come in for some criticism for bearing life and I would have to agree that they're not as robust or durable as Shimano Ultegra / D-A. But easy enough to rebuild.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    If (emphasis on the if!) the freehub is the same spec as the Dura Ace 78xx series ones, then I believe it will take any 10 speed Shimano cassette except those meant for junior gearing (15-25 etc.)

As above, those freehubs won't accept 7, 8, 9 or 11 speed cassettes, or other brands AFAIK.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Apparently you can ONLY use a 6700 cassette which is £30 quid on CRC or a Dura ace. But someone in the reviews states he's using a 5700 and it went on fine. The 6700 is so cheap at the moment why bother risking it though.

I just ordered these wheels but haven't had a chance to take them for a ride yet.
  • pollys_bott
    pollys_bott Posts: 1,012
    Thanks for the replies chaps :)
  • banditvic
    banditvic Posts: 549
    You can use Sram cassettes on these 10 speed only. well that's what I use no way am I paying for a Dura ace cassette.
  • stanthomas
    stanthomas Posts: 265
    Came across these on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easton-EA90-RT-Road-Wheelset-with-Hutchinson-Tubeless-tyres-/121392847216. Same wheelset but with tubeless tyres included which beats CRC's price. The freehub fitting and Hutchinson tyre is unspecified, so you'll need to speak to them about that. (Hint: you want Fusion 3 t/ls.)
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    stanthomas wrote:
    Came across these on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Easton-EA90-RT-Road-Wheelset-with-Hutchinson-Tubeless-tyres-/121392847216. Same wheelset but with tubeless tyres included which beats CRC's price. The freehub fitting and Hutchinson tyre is unspecified, so you'll need to speak to them about that. (Hint: you want Fusion 3 t/ls.)

In the smiley world of Ebay a 95% feedback equates to little more than a scammer. Most far eastern tat retailers have way more than that... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023