bbc footage of close pass and left turn by lorry on Commonw

bobinski
bobinski Posts: 570
edited August 2014 in Road general
Did anyone see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558513

About a minute in. Even the journalist is prompted to comment.

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    :shock: A trip to Bilslands and no mention of Millar The Elder.

The lorry didn't seem that close and is certainly an everyday occurrence.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Love the guy in full Team Sky kit on a mountain bike at the start :D
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,802
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

And the problem with that is...?
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Ohh god what a hazard I'm surprised there weren't multiple fatalities. (I swear the forum used to have a yawning smiley...)
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Didn't look particularly worrying.
  • bobinski
    Perhaps i am going soft! i though an overtake at speed by a long lorry, then breaking and cutting in to turn left causing the cyclists to slow down almost to a stop was at least inconsiderate and potentially dangerous.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I wouldn't say speed was a factor, the turn was a bit close but they had room to brake and only his tail was sticking into the road. Since he knew he was going to turn he should have stayed behind but it's hardly the end of the world.

Do you ever do much city riding? I haven't for a year or two but remember situations like this being quite common.
  • bobinski
    Sure do, londoner in'it! and to be honest i don't see much of this at all unless i go out into Kent :)
    More likely on my commute to see cars waiting for the endless stream of cyclists to pass before the driver then turns left.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    didnt seem bad at all, i wish all the lorries that pass me gave me that much room!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    What three feet away is close ? six inches is close , that overtake looked perfectly ok to me .
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    Looked in the other lane, and they didnt look like they had to slow down much either to me
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

No problem with it, but that's the point. It was more the fact that the people over at Full Pro-kit wankers will be foaming at the mouth :P
  • 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    This guy here is kinda scary :wink:

• gubber12345
    gubber12345 Posts: 493
    Cant see much wrong there either, lorry left loads of space and made the turn pretty quick, dont think the cyclists even slowed that much if any.

think some people just love to complain. :roll: :roll:
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Bluemoon17 wrote:

He looks like a knobba.
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    I'm disappointed no one's expressed "shock and horror" at the 4x4, in police livery, parked in the cycle lane
  • I wish all trucks would give me even half that room, looked ok to me.
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    bobinski wrote:
    Did anyone see this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-28558513

About a minute in. Even the journalist is prompted to comment.

HTFU

Even the journalist made little of the issue.

You failed to take in the whole point of the article which is that local cyclists are helping cyclists from the games by going out on rides together. This is great to see and everyone involved seems to be benefiting from the experience.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,210
    Nairnster wrote:
    Looked in the other lane, and they didnt look like they had to slow down much either to me

This. OK, he should have stayed behind and it was a bit impatient, possibly caught out by the length of the line of cyclists (they were pretty ragged!) but if he knew he had a turn coming up he should have stayed back. The pass was in the next lane. At first I assumed there was another manoeuvre later on so carried on watching.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Loads of space there. If anyone thinks that was close - they haven't been cycling very long. I'd not have batted an eyelid.
  • Smithster
    Smithster Posts: 117
    It wasn't close, but it was a poor manoeuvre by the lorry driver IMO. Iv'e had closer.

Unfortunately an all to common occurrence on the roads today, as drivers often fail to judge the speed of a cyclist when crossing their paths.

I think the journalist was just hamming the story up a bit, because the visitors were being shown the roads......
  • Richard_D
    Richard_D Posts: 320
    The lorry gave them more room than a significant chunk of the tourists on the roads of the New forest this weekend and I have seen much worse overtake and then turn manoeuvres than that including one the other week by a police car turning into a police station. No he did not have Blues and twos on and judging from the time I do not think it was shift change either just impatience.