Help! Someone has locked their shi**y bike to my nice bike

kickboxer144
kickboxer144 Posts: 6
edited August 2014 in Commuting general
Two days ago I locked my fairly expensive cyclocross bike up to one of the council posts (london, peckham) using a decent folding lock (silver rated, sold secure) and came back to see that someone had d-locked their shi**y bike to mine using what appears to be an expensive lock. It's now been two days and it's still there. I've tried calling the police and neighbourhood watch team but they've told me that they can only assist me once my bike has been physically stolen. I've already tried using a hacksaw to remove it but didn't even make a dent in the lock. Sawing their bike in half also wouldn't do me any good because my bike would still be locked to the post. My bike is really my only mode of transport anywhere and I am lost without it. I'm not sure what to do and I'm afraid if I leave my bike there much longer I will come back to find it stripped. Does anyone have any advice?!

Comments

• Wigster
    Wigster Posts: 47
    It'd be too tough for a locksmith I guess?

If you can find the name of the lock they've used you can search it on YouTube, most locks have been broken/cracked on their.
    Cannondale Caad 8 Sora
    QuadLock iPhone 5 Mount / Garmin Edge 810 [HRM / Cadence]
    Swissstop Flash Pro Green Brakes
    2 x Cube Bottle Cages
    Pedals: SHIMANO R540 - Shoes: Shimano R088
  • will_85
    will_85 Posts: 84
    I had this done to me a while back.... I was lucky enough to get through their lock with a saw and a hammer, although it was rather alarming that I was able to stand in the middle of Kings Rd Chelsea, smashing somebody elses lock off in broad daylight without even being quizzed by anyone :shock:
  • I'd really like to avoid paying for a locksmith if I can. It's already annoying enough to have to be paying transportation fares again and not even sure if a locksmith can legally help me.
  • and will_85, it was a bit worrying that I was there with a hacksaw for awhile with no one saying anything either! some drunk guys even offered to help me....
  • I ended up giving in and hiring a locksmith as I didn't feel comfortable leaving my bike there another night. I locked their bike back up with my lock (fortunately I have a spare lock) and told them that if they would like their bike and lock back they can call me and pay me for the locksmith (who I managed to talk down to £30). I neglected to mention that their lock is also in two pieces but I think I have already been more than generous with everything else. Now I am just hoping they don't end up breaking my lock.
  • Also, Wigster, I forgot to say that I did look up the lock online and there is only a really fuzzy video of someone picking the lock with no explanation on how they did it.
  • snig
    snig Posts: 428
    have you left your details on his bike? i wouldn't, god knows who you could be dealing with, telling them you are holding their bike as ransom may not go down well, I would either buy a cheap lock (£1) and leave the key with the police, or take his bike to the police and say you found it.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Most D-locks give in to a mini hydraulic jack that forces the arms apart.

I would also use a shitty lock and leave the key with the Police (and other stuff) and leave a note telling them that - the Police will have your details if they are needed.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • What about the upside down compressed air can trick?

Here is a video of it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j4DqevlIRY