Wider rims and Crud RoadRacer Mk II

londoncommuter
londoncommuter Posts: 1,550
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Apologies if this has been asked already but does the current trend towards wider rims work with Crud RoadRacer Mk II's? I've been "happily" running Cruds with 23mm tyres and old fashioned wheels for years but am after some new wheels for year round use,

If the above answer is that they're fine, do the wider rims have any bearing on whether or not you can then run larger tyres? Not sure why this would be the case but can you magically squeeze 24c or 25c tyres under them if they're stretched a little more over the wider rim?

Many thanks for any thoughts. By the way, I'm gearing up to my "What wheels" post soon as I think everyone is allowed to post one.....

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,243
    The rim shouldn't be an issue and the tyre will as a rule of thumb get 1 mm wider or so, hardly a problem I would say... but I have no direct experience of tht as I fight my own campaign against mudguards.... :wink:

As for your next thread... if you want wide, you've got to go handbuilt or spend >600 for a pair of HED Ardennes. Wheels manufacturers are still battling it out for the last gram and have ignored the trend for wider rims so far.
    left the forum March 2023
  • JonEdwards
    JonEdwards Posts: 452
    They sort of work. My other half has some Ardennes/King wheels on her Euros with 23mm GP4000s on. To make them clear reliably I had to do a bit of work with a heat gun to bend the ears where the stays are attached a bit wider, otherwise they'd only need knocking a teeny tiny amount and they'd start rubbing quite loudly.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Is running something like the SKS P35 Chromoplastics year round an option instead of the RoadRacer?
  • paul_mck
    paul_mck Posts: 1,058
    have used cruds with 28mm tyres on. heatgun to soften the plastic and widen out the mounts.