Fulcrum racing sport - are they OK for the money?

chris_bass
chris_bass Posts: 4,913
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
I need a pair of cheap wheels which will do for commuting and weekends, merlin have these for 90 quid for the pair, anyone have any experience with them?
www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Save yourself £20 and order these from Ribble

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... oCR3zw_wcB

Dependable and serviceable particularly if you're using them to commute and riding through all weathers.
  • chris_bass
    i've had a few pairs of RS10s and the last couple have been really terrible (i know they arent the same and much lower spoke count) so thought i'd give shimano a miss this time.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The Campag/Fulcrums will have cartridge bearings which make life a lot simpler for all year round commuting. Don't know about these Sport wheels but the cheapo Khamsin wheels I commute on have been faultless. Replaced the wheel bearings once in 17000 or so miles and the freehub bearings twice (messed it up second time so prematurely need doing again but the bearings are cheap so it's no big deal).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    Rolf F wrote:
    The Campag/Fulcrums will have cartridge bearings which make life a lot simpler for all year round commuting. Don't know about these Sport wheels but the cheapo Khamsin wheels I commute on have been faultless. Replaced the wheel bearings once in 17000 or so miles and the freehub bearings twice (messed it up second time so prematurely need doing again but the bearings are cheap so it's no big deal).

Great, thanks, think I'll give them a go
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Just to hijack the thread but do the Fulcrum hubs have a nice loud clicking freewheel like Mavics?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Another vote for the Khamsins (and I always assumed the Fulcrum equivalent were 7s?) - got mine for around £70 and they have been great for commuting. Also used them for RVV and they stood up the cobbles no trouble.