Merlin Cycles

NITR8s
NITR8s Posts: 688
edited August 2014 in Road buying advice
Dispite the fact i have found a bike a want, as chainreactioncycles dont do cyclescheme vouchers I have had to find alternatives.

I have come accross a couple of bikes on Merlincycles, however I cant find any reviews on them but they seem good value for money. The point i am getting too is should I avoid them or are they worth considering.

Merlin Malt RS road bike
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/merlin-road-bikes/merlin-malt-rs-road-bike.html

Moser Speed
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/moser-road-bikes/moser-speed-road-bike.html

Sensa Romagna
http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... ecial.html

Comments

• fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Merlin thmeselves have a good reputation. The Sensa bikes are quite new to the UK.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,823
    I don't know how far you are away from them but they have a shop so it might be worth popping along and they will answer any questions you may have. They also do the same prices in the shop as online.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    The Malt RS and Moser Speed seem to be very good value spec wise, especially with Merlin's 10% off for online ordering. It would be fantastic to hear feedback from anyone who's purchased one!
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Used merlin lots - thy are really good value and deliver quickly
  • Stevea
    Stevea Posts: 1
    I ordered a Sensa Trentino SL Pro on 24th Jan 2014 it took 6 weeks to come not the 2 - 3 quoted. Took it back because the gears were noisy and could not get 11th (mainly Ultegra) they "fixed it" took it back again for the same reason. They told me they were very busy and not doing service work. I persisted and they agreed to look at it despite being "a month behind on builds!" After they "fixed it" I test rode it in the car park and still could not get 11th. They test rode it and said it was fine. NO ITS NOT! I still cannot get 11th. If you value customer service don't buy from Merlin. Merlin sort it out!
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Stevea wrote:
    I ordered a Sensa Trentino SL Pro on 24th Jan 2014 it took 6 weeks to come not the 2 - 3 quoted. Took it back because the gears were noisy and could not get 11th (mainly Ultegra) they "fixed it" took it back again for the same reason. They told me they were very busy and not doing service work. I persisted and they agreed to look at it despite being "a month behind on builds!" After they "fixed it" I test rode it in the car park and still could not get 11th. They test rode it and said it was fine. NO ITS NOT! I still cannot get 11th. If you value customer service don't buy from Merlin. Merlin sort it out!

Annnnnd, here's another!! Lol
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    was going to ask how you get the 10% online discount, then noticed the date!!

how did this thread come back from the dead!? Is it just to slag off Merlin with one person's bad experience?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Stevea wrote:

Brilliant post, I hope you continue to make useful and constructive posts like this in the future :roll:

Merlin are a long established shop who I've not had any problems with over the years.

As others have said try and get over to see them if you can?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Pedro77
    Pedro77 Posts: 59
    Good experience with Merlin here, ordered a wheel Turing stand, 2 days later arrived...as expected... No problem at all.

Pedro
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I ordered a jacket from Merlins on Wednesday at 3pm and it arrived the following morning by 10am, admittedly their
    only 10 miles away but that's still excellent service.
    I've used them a few times now and it's always been spot on and it's one of the first places I look when I want/need something.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Yes - I think we'll now get a string of posts saying that Merlin are fine - that's certainly my experience. I never have a moment's hesitation hitting the Buy button at Merlin - good, honest, straightforward service.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Excellent service from Merlin, even on faulty products and mistakes I have made on the order. They are a busy bunch but a really good one. Really recommended.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    I'm sure you've all really helped the op who's waited for 2 years to buy his bike from merlin.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    lawrences wrote:
    I'm sure you've all really helped the op who's waited for 2 years to buy his bike from merlin.

I was not replying to him but to the guy resurrecting the thread 2 years later to rant about them. :wink:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    New posters shouldn't be allowed to comment on things over a month old. 3 resurrections today just in this section.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,196
    The Rover wrote:
    I ordered a jacket from Merlins on Wednesday at 3pm and it arrived the following morning by 10am, admittedly their only 10 miles away but that's still excellent service.
    I've used them a few times now and it's always been spot on and it's one of the first places I look when I want/need something.

You lazy old duffer.

BTW, it's 'they are' not 'their' :D

(If I didn't pick that mistake up, that tw@t Arran77 certainly would)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • pinno
    FWIW, Merlin Cycles found me a tapered head set for my Pinarello. It only cost £15 including p+p and they even contacted Pinarello to make sure.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Stevea wrote:

Maybe you should learn to ride a bike.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • the_rover
    The Rover wrote:
    I ordered a jacket from Merlins on Wednesday at 3pm and it arrived the following morning by 10am, admittedly their only 10 miles away but that's still excellent service.

You lazy old duffer.

I'm house bound after an op and you can blame the meds for the spelling mistake!
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    The Rover wrote:
    The Rover wrote:

You lazy old duffer.

I'm house bound after an op

So why do you need a jacket? :D:D
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • the_rover
    jordan_217 wrote:
    The Rover wrote:
    The Rover wrote:

You lazy old duffer.

I'm house bound after an op

So why do you need a jacket? :D:D

Because I'm bored and like spending money!

I should get the green light to get out in 4-6 weeks and will be able to use the bike for commuting after moving where* and were* I work from.

* to annoy the spelling police.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    To counter the new 'sign up and moaner', Merlin are bloody excellent, pure and simple.
  • griffsters
    griffsters Posts: 490
    philthy3 wrote:
    Stevea wrote:

Maybe you should learn to ride a bike.

My thoughts exactly.

Merlin are quality, not always perfect but put it right when it goes wrong in my experience.
  • Trickyh
    Trickyh Posts: 50
    Stevea wrote:

You should learn to service a bike..
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Always had good experience with them. Fast and cheap, often the cheapest. Only grumble would be the one time I ordered a push lock and they sent a pop lock which they swapped, but I had to pay the postage on the return item. I didn't really care as I it was still a lot cheaper and I reckon they probably made a mistake in the first place advertising the pop lock with the wrong photo and description.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Thumbs up from me. Bought a few things and ALL have been delivered very promptly.
  • bernithebiker
    bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
    I find Merlin better than CR and Wiggle.
  • pinno
    I have found CRC's to be a pain in the 4rse on occasion...

Cue the onslaught... :roll:
  • I prefer Campag.

Left disappointed.