Lee Valley Cycle Way

dazza106
dazza106 Posts: 22
edited July 2014 in Road general
Looking for some help from East London Based Members, I am currently planning a Charity cycle ride from the olympic velodrome to Nottingham. For the 1st leg to Ware we are hoping to use the Lee Valley Cycle for this section to make it easy to get 40 cyclists out of London in relative safety.

I would like to know what the surface is like for road bikes (some, mine included being quite expensive) the pictures online looks like a gravel towpath, would this be fair to assessment?

I am not due to visit until very late august and if I need to change the route, knowing before my visit down south would be useful

Many Thanks

Comments

• J3w3ll3r
    J3w3ll3r Posts: 86
    Hi, it's mainly Tarmac but there's some cobbles and some very nasty gravel, personally I would not do it on a road bike but last time we went from Roydon to the Olympic park and back a mate did it on his Spec Allez with no problems
  • Zerotails99
    Zerotails99 Posts: 127
    No there's no Tarmac there. Some concrete, Mostly gravel and cobblestones in some places to slow down cyclists. Road bike with 23mm tyres perfectly fine. But the canal path is not suitable for group rides. It's very narrow in places and busy with joggers, dog walkers, cyclists and pedestrians.
  • foxydan
    foxydan Posts: 83
    No there's no Tarmac there. Some concrete, Mostly gravel and cobblestones in some places to slow down cyclists. Road bike with 23mm tyres perfectly fine. But the canal path is not suitable for group rides. It's very narrow in places and busy with joggers, dog walkers, cyclists and pedestrians.

Agree with this post particularly the narrow areas of the path especially if you have a number of cyclists.

The surface will be fine for a road bike with some durable tyres. I have cycled it twice in the past although on a mountain bike from Stratford to Hertford. It is a fairly nice route to do as well.