Slightly different wheel build.

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Only slightly different, but not the usual 'I want a light, strong, cheap, Chinese carbon etc etc wheel set' question.

I'm building up a bit of a hack from my parts bin and eBay and I've acquired a Pompetamine frame from a mate. I have a pair of hubs and want them built onto some strong rims. The Pompetamine is a tank and whilst I'm not overly worried about weight, I don't want to add weight unnecessarily. I'll be using it for pub duty, down the park with junior, child seat duty whilst he's small and maybe some light touring or light off road (read unsurfaced trails, tow paths etc), probably fitting 35mm CX tyres. The hubs that I have are Shimano XT front an Alfine 8 speed gear hub, both 32 hole, both disc.

A mate has the Mavic TN719 29'er rims on a similar build, but these are beefy rims. Does anyone have any ideas on a suitable rim ? How will the usual suspects of Archetype or A23 stand up to heavier use ?

Cheers....... M
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've been riding some A23s these past 3 weeks on a tour which has included MTB trail riding at Glentress and Innerleithin plus plenty of adventure riding in Southern Scotland, Western Isles and Yorkshire Dales on my CX bike - they've been faultless despite this including rock gardens, black-rated descents and scree as well as some OTB moments when riding across moorland when I lost the trail. If you can squeeze them in, 40mm tyres make real rough stuff possible as the higher volume really protects the rim - Surly knard 41mm have been awesome.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Kinlin XC-279 could be worth a shout. Wide like the A23 and Archetype rims, but apparently quite strong. They are also cheaper!

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/forums/topi ... m-roundup/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The archetype is simply a more robust rim and finished to a higher standard, can take 1200n some tension without cracking compared to the a23. I have pretty much stopped using the a23 and have not recommend them for while after I got crashed damaged wheel I did not huge damage but there where lots of small cracks at the some holes. So if that rim had not been damaged I would have a call anyway regarding warranty. The problem is not one failure per she but the variable quality standards I have noticed previouly . some rims have a very low tension limit like 1100n before it gives all wobley when building.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cycleclinic
    The archetype is simply a more robust rim and finished to a higher standard, can take 1200n some tension without cracking compared to the a23. I have pretty much stopped using the a23 and have not recommend them for while after I got crashed damaged wheel I did not huge damage but there where lots of small cracks at the some holes. So if that rim had not been damaged I would have a call anyway regarding warranty. The problem is not one failure per she but the variable quality standards I have noticed previouly . some rims have a very low tension limit like 1100n before it gives all wobley when building.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,181
    The 719 are not beefy... if you want something beefy, try the Sputnik!

I would say for what you have in mind the 719 is perfect
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    The kinlin xc 279 is very robust and a good alternative to the archetype. 490g each though. I would use either of these two over the magic tn 719
  • ugo.santalucia
    The kinlin xc 279 is very robust and a good alternative to the archetype.

I am not sure it is AS robust... if you look at the rim section, it seems pretty thin at the hole bed
    KinLin-279-150x150.jpg

While similar rims like Archetype or HED Belgium have a reinforced area there. The risk of cracks is greater for the Kinlin

Archetype
    H-Plus-Son-Archetype-150x150.jpg

HED
    Hed-Ardennes-150x150.jpg

Interesting how the Pacenti also is pretty minimalist there (someone reported cracks recently... )

SL 23
    FWB-150x150.jpg
  • cycleclinic
    The pacenti SL23 is a racing rim it is too expensive to be an everyday rim and too thin at the brake track. Replacing rims is an expensive business.

the kinlin maybe robust enough though. Kinlin rims normally wear out before they get to crack.
  • ugo.santalucia
    the kinlin maybe robust enough though. Kinlin rims normally wear out before they get to crack.

Yes, but the pompetamine is a disc bike...