on one midge bars?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
After building up a new geared cross bike, my Spesh Singlecross has been sadly neglected. Did think of selling it on but also tempted to keep and try some Midge Bars on it and larger tyres for excursions round the local woods etc this winter. I gather these more flared bars aid climbing and can provide greater control on singletrack, etc. Would any users recommend giving them a go? cheers...
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I ran some Mungo moustache bars on a SS CX bike for a while - nice, natural hand position but never tried the Midge. Only downside was that catching the rear-facing bar end against your leg can be painful if you come a cropper - fit some soft bar plugs!
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've put a set on my Pompetamine hack on the recommendation of a mate. Whilst I've not ridden it yet (so this probably isn't much use to you :lol: ) I've tried them on another bike and they offer a very natural riding position. The position of the brakes takes a little getting used to, especially on the hoods, but not much.

They're currently £19.99 or less on the on one web site, why not try them and see ? You won't lose a great deal if you don't like them and sell them on eBay.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Thanks for the responses. Was very tempted when I thought they were 13.99 but that's not for the black ones with a 31.8mm clamp area (which I need), those are just under £30 quid. Not exactly expensive I grant you but a bit skint at the mo.

MattC59 - would be very interested to here how you get on after you've ridden your Pompeteine with the Midges?!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...