Can I convert a 10 speed freehub to 11 speed

dave milne
dave milne Posts: 703
edited August 2015 in Workshop
Hi,

I have a planet x 50mm carbon tubular rear wheel that has a shimano 10speed freehub.

Is it possible to easily replace the freehub with an 11speed one, such as the one I have on my fulcrum racing 1 wheelset.

I'm guessing the answer is no but perhaps not?

thanks

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    It will depend on what make of freehub but the simple answer is likely to be Yes.

The splined part of the freehub is easily removed and can be replaced with an 11 speed version.

Give Planet X a call and ask if they sell the freehub bodies.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dave milne
    Thanks - they do indeed sell freehub bodys but the 11speed aren't in stock and I need it before then if possible.

I guess that's answered my next question in that these aren't a universal fit between wheels, i.e. if I take the one off my fulcrums the chances of it fitting on the planet x pre probably zero
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    Each hub manufacturer will have their own freehub bodies.

If PX don't have them in stock, you may be able to speak to the manufacturer direct.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • dave milne
    thanks for the info
  • Bit of a thread resurrection, this. I have a set of Dura Ace 7700 series hubs (i.e. 9 speed) which I got re-laced onto Ambrosio Excellight rims about a year ago (they were Open Pros before). However, I have split that bike, sold most of the bits and will only hang onto the wheels if I can convert them to 11 speed.

Having seen Ugo's freehub filing tip, I've trial filed one of the titanium spline ends down a fair bit, almost the whole way down, but how much would you have to file before you can fit an 11 speed cassette on?

I know in theory you want 1.8mm but I've only managed about 0.9mm before it gets rather awkward. I don't want to file every one (which will take me hours) only to find that (a) the cassette still won't go on and (b) I've devalued the wheelset for 9/10 speed.

Edit:
    Reading Ugo's notes again, it looks like 1.5mm. Hmmm - I'll never get another 0.6mm without a lathe. Perhaps time to just sell and move on then, unless someone thinks otherwise.....
    http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/the-11-speed-switchover/
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,242
    Bit of a thread resurrection, this. I have a set of Dura Ace 7700 series hubs (i.e. 9 speed) which I got re-laced onto Ambrosio Excellight rims about a year ago (they were Open Pros before). However, I have split that bike, sold most of the bits and will only hang onto the wheels if I can convert them to 11 speed.

Having seen Ugo's freehub filing tip, I've trial filed one of the titanium spline ends down a fair bit, almost the whole way down, but how much would you have to file before you can fit an 11 speed cassette on?

I know in theory you want 1.8mm but I've only managed about 0.9mm before it gets rather awkward. I don't want to file every one (which will take me hours) only to find that (a) the cassette still won't go on and (b) I've devalued the wheelset for 9/10 speed.

Edit:
    Reading Ugo's notes again, it looks like 1.5mm. Hmmm - I'll never get another 0.6mm without a lathe. Perhaps time to just sell and move on then, unless someone thinks otherwise.....
    http://whosatthewheel.com/2015/01/29/the-11-speed-switchover/

You need as little as it's enough for the last sprocket to just about engage and you're game
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the reply Ugo. I fitted an 11 speed cassette to it this morning, to see what engagement the 10th and 11th cogs had. Basically the outside of the 10th cog was flush with the outer edge of the freehub body, so the 11th cog had no bite whatsoever. With a shed-load of filing, I think I can get 0.9mm. That's not much, but as you say it might be enough.

Big Al at wheelcraft told me he reckons the 7700 series was the best DA hub ever made. He didn't elaborate on what has deteriorated since, but I'd certainly like to keep using them as they have sentimental value.
  • I can make an 11speed cassette fit a 10speed wheel and work in a 11 speed bike

07757673303 for details