Local Bike shops

pmoore2007
pmoore2007 Posts: 30
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Do any of the major bike shops build bikes from scratch. I have a heap of components and was going to build it myself but I have zero time at the moment. So Im not sure it'll ever get built. Not sure if we can name major shops on here or not. But does nayone know if they would build a bike for me ~cost????

Comments

• matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
  • Philby
    Philby Posts: 328
    Why does it matter whether they are major bike shops. Many smaller LBS will be glad of the trade.
  • pmoore2007
    Philby wrote:
    Why does it matter whether they are major bike shops. Many smaller LBS will be glad of the trade.

It doesnt matter to be honest. But as far as I know I have 2 major ones where i live which is Guildford
  • pmoore2007
    matt-h wrote:
    HI,
    where are you based?

Matt

Guildford mate, Any ideas how much this would cost?
  • matt-h
    matt-h Posts: 847
    No personal experience of Guildford.
    Im sure there will be someone on here that has

Matt
  • pmoore2007
    matt-h wrote:

Matt

I looked on Halfords and they said they do it but I dont think It was from the frame up though as they quoted 40 quid online which is really cheap. I wanted to use Evans though as apparently they are very good. Probably pricey though
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    pmoore2007 wrote:
    matt-h wrote:

Matt

I looked on Halfords and they said they do it but I dont think It was from the frame up though as they quoted 40 quid online which is really cheap. I wanted to use Evans though as apparently they are very good. Probably pricey though

They're both rubbish shops in terms of staff and quality although you're more likely to get a mechanic that won't kill you at Evans.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • pmoore2007
    Grill wrote:
    pmoore2007 wrote:
    matt-h wrote:

Matt

They're both rubbish shops in terms of staff and quality although you're more likely to get a mechanic that won't kill you at Evans.

Yeah not had good dealings with Halfords in the past :cry:
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    In my experience different shops can have a really wide range of prices for this service. I had my Kinesis built up for me from a box full of parts last year for £45 at Bristol Dropouts, which is pretty reasonable. My local up in Liverpool has said about double that by him.
  • pmoore2007
    holiver wrote:
    In my experience different shops can have a really wide range of prices for this service. I had my Kinesis built up for me from a box full of parts last year for £45 at Bristol Dropouts, which is pretty reasonable. My local up in Liverpool has said about double that by him.

I think thats what Halfords quite on their website but I would rather use Evans. I was just wondering if anyone else had done this before as I could not spend a couple of hundred quid on this service. Cheers for the advise so far.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    If you've got all the bits and they all match, then a competent mech will build your bike within 60-90 minutes. Which is way faster than I could do it.

But, anything fiddly or mismatching will add time and cost.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Pedal and Spoke in Cranleigh? Normally very busy with MTB stuff. They are top guys.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    Beyond Mountain bikes near Cranleigh. Built up my s-works (frame purchased via them but I supplied components). Workshop is busy at the moment due to pre-Ride London servicing
  • pmoore2007
    guinea wrote:
    If you've got all the bits and they all match, then a competent mech will build your bike within 60-90 minutes. Which is way faster than I could do it.

But, anything fiddly or mismatching will add time and cost.

Ive got all the components just dont have time to build it and im probably going to need help from a LBS with tools i.e head press etc.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Mine charged £50 quid with steerer cut to everything on it inc bar taped etc
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • waterford123
    waterford123 Posts: 172
    Liphook Cycles in ummm Liphook.
  • dnwhite88
    dnwhite88 Posts: 285
    Pure motion cycles in Byfleet, very good
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • pmoore2007
    dnwhite88 wrote:
    Pure motion cycles in Byfleet, very good

not too far from me any idea on a price mate?

thanks
  • pmoore2007
    Liphook Cycles in ummm Liphook.

Cheers pal any idea on prices for such a job?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    A LBS here here charged someone I know £70 to build bike from parts & was £80 if you wanted to watch him do it to "learn stuff" which the guy did.
  • pmoore2007
    Moonbiker wrote:
    A LBS here here charged someone I know £70 to build bike from parts & was £80 if you wanted to watch him do it to "learn stuff" which the guy did.

that sounds great. good to know. i guess the pros in the LBS can build it up pretty quick then.