Using my smartphone instead of a Garmin

tomhowells
tomhowells Posts: 171
edited July 2014 in Road general
Hi Chaps,
I know this has been asked before, but as with other tech, it moves forward at an alarming pace, so I could've missed a new development!
I need navigation whilst riding, but can't afford a Garmin 800/810. I know that having the screen on using GPS for over 4 hours is a no go for most smart phones. I appear to be between a rock & a hard place.

Anyone got any suggestions on a good compromise?
(Galaxy s5 phone, btw - a beast!!)

Cheers muchly.
Boardman 8.9 SLR - Summer
Holdsworth La Quelda - Commuter
Moda Intro - Winter
Planet X Stealth - TT

Comments

• Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    There are two types of cyclist.

Those that have bought a Garmin... and those that haven't bought one yet.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    You could try something like this...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kool-TM-S5-Case ... B00JTSRB06
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    I use a Garmin 200 for navigation. I plan the route beforehand on the Garmin website before following the basic, but clear display.

It does the job and can be had for £70 at present I think.
  • I use a garmin 510 for navigation (less than £200 here http://goo.gl/22ya9q). The only thing is that you need to create the route in advance in garmin connect or strava and then upload it to the garmin, but it works great.
    I used to do the same in an old garmin forerunner 305. You don't need to have the 800/810 to get navigation.
  • cookeeemonster
    cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
    maybe you can use your phone but buy a portable phone charger/battery pack to keep it powered up on the move?

Has downsides but may be an option
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    You can pick a Garmin Edge 705 up for anything from £35 to £150 on eBay. Even Handtec do them reasonably cheap. It'll do everything an 800 will do other than Garmin Connect/Bluetooth.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    holiver wrote:
    I use a Garmin 200 for navigation. I plan the route beforehand on the Garmin website before following the basic, but clear display.
    I have the Garmin 200 and wasn't aware it had this feature.Tell me more.
  • lancew
    lancew Posts: 680
    I use the following running google maps and strava:

iPhone 5s
    Topeak ridecase 2
    iPhone cable velcroed down the top tube
    Topeak saddle bag
    New Trent battery pack

The battery pack stays dry in the bag. The middle of the cable can get wet and the iPhone can be protected or disconnected from the pack during wet sections as it will still have about 2-3 hours at any point in the ride.

That got me to Brighton in 4 hours (in the dark) with my iPhone light on (I didn't plan on it being dark), and left me with 100% battery. Works a charm on longer rides as I also put some spare tubes in the saddle bag and have plenty of space for arm warmers in my jersey. On shorter rides (<2hours) I don't bother with the battery pack or would put the pack in my jersey and charge at the other end.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2013
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    ibbo68 wrote:
    holiver wrote:

I havent read all of this so not sure if it is quite what you are after but this should help:
    http://velogps.com/garmin-edge-200-turn ... irections/
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    holiver wrote:

I haven't read all of this so not sure if it is quite what you are after but this should help:
    Yeah that is pretty much it, although I use the Garmin website. When logged in at http://connect.garmin.com and using the classic interface, hover over the Plan tab and select Courses. Then at the top right there is a Create Course option. Click on that and away you go! Then connect the Garmin via USB if it is not already, make sure you have the latest Garmin plugin for your browser and click send to device once you have saved your course. It will then be visible on the Garmin under the Courses menu.
  • tomhowells
    It looks like conventional wisdom is to go for a Garmin! I'll have a look for an edge 200 and try & pre program the route. Thanks for your help guys!
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • swj1
    swj1 Posts: 70
    Bar Shaker wrote:
    There are two types of cyclist.

Those that have bought a Garmin... and those that haven't bought one yet.

I nominate a third type, those that own one of the buggy pieces of crap and are constantly searching for a better device ;)

That being said I am very happy with the Mio 505HC with the latest firmware :)
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    I have a Edge Touring as I didn't want all the bells and whistles. Keep an eye on Halfords website as occasionally they do deals, got mine with a rubber case and official out front mount for 150. Does the job well enough, the few times I've used it for navigation it's been more than adequate.
  • tomhowells
    Thanks guys, the Mio is out of my league financially unfortunately, as I need wheels as well! Mike, I was looking at the touring as they are pretty cheap on ebay at the mo, I'll keep my eyes peeled!
    Moda Intro - Winter
    Planet X Stealth - TT
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    tomhowells wrote:
    Thanks guys, the Mio is out of my league financially unfortunately, as I need wheels as well! Mike, I was looking at the touring as they are pretty cheap on ebay at the mo, I'll keep my eyes peeled!

I recommend it, along with Garmin Connect online, I do all my routes on there, one click download to the Garmin and I'm away, once I get home from a ride, I upload it to Endomondo and Strava no bother. I'm well happy with it. Obviously it doesn't do things like HR or the other rubbish, but if you just wanna ride then it's perfect. Using mine for JOGLE in September and I'm fairly confident I won't need to refer to paper maps very often.
    Battery is good too, went for an all dayer and few weeks ago, 10 hours door to door and I still had 35% battery after using the Nav all day.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    holiver wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    holiver wrote:

I haven't read all of this so not sure if it is quite what you are after but this should help:
    Yeah that is pretty much it, although I use the Garmin website. When logged in at http://connect.garmin.com and using the classic interface, hover over the Plan tab and select Courses. Then at the top right there is a Create Course option. Click on that and away you go! Then connect the Garmin via USB if it is not already, make sure you have the latest Garmin plugin for your browser and click send to device once you have saved your course. It will then be visible on the Garmin under the Courses menu.
    Cheers 8)
    Can you still upload the route to Strava when you've ridden it?
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Yes, it is.

I have a Garmin Edge500 and use the breadcrumb trail navigation from time to time. It takes a bit of common sense to use, but is pretty effective. It got me all the way to Fort William with only a few wrong turns (When that happens, it bleeps at you to tell you you've strayed off course).

I use my phone as a secondry/back-up navigator intermittently if needs be, but I'f rather conserve the battery for emergencies.
  • HertsG
    HertsG Posts: 129
    IMG_15731_zps85188903.jpg

You don't have to use an Edge - the Garmin Oregon series (400 or higher) works just as well.

My Oregon 450 has navigable GB and European road maps, full GB 1:50k OS maps and does all the cadence and heartrate stuff that Edges will do. You can pick up second hand units from eBay for under £100.