carbon bars with integrated stem

hartlepoolmonkeyman
hartlepoolmonkeyman Posts: 210
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Has anybody purchased any and if so how do they compare to separate bar and stem combination?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Yes, I have FSA Plasma on my main bike. They're no different to a separate bar and stem in feel, but you have to be sure of your reach and rise before you purchase. There's no going back or making alterations. Try and find your set up using a bar and stem set up and use the measurement to order your integrated system. The FSA ones come with an out front mount to mount a power reader or Garmin but the diameter is too small for the actual Garmin out front mount meaning you have to use spacers. The downside of the bars is because they're flat topped, you can't mount an out front device directly to the bars. The beauty is the cabling is internal so you don't need to cover the bar in bar tape much past the hoods.

astana_vino_bars_2_600.jpg
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    philthy3 wrote:
    The beauty is the cabling is internal so you don't need to cover the bar in bar tape much past the hoods.

If you don't want tape past the hoods, why put any tape on at all? :wink:

The other downside of course is usually weight.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Tape feels nice and stops your hands slipping.

I have a carbon stem and flat top bars but still tape as normal.

Tape weighs less than 80g so hardly an issue.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    Tape feels nice and stops your hands slipping.

I have a carbon stem and flat top bars but still tape as normal.

Tape weighs less than 80g so hardly an issue.

As far as my post goes, the comment about weight was meant to be that integrated bars tend to weigh rather more than separate bar and stem.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I have flat top carbon bars (not integrated) - managed to fit one of the SRAM out front mounts by filing down where it clamps to the bar. Bit of a tight fit but it does the job. No tape past the hoods - not really nexessary as carbon soaks up the road buzz, doesn't feel cold and bars are a nice shape to hold. I did wrap them for Flanders though!
  • Thanks for the help guys :-)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Rolf F wrote:
    philthy3 wrote:
    The beauty is the cabling is internal so you don't need to cover the bar in bar tape much past the hoods.

If you don't want tape past the hoods, why put any tape on at all? :wink:

The other downside of course is usually weight.

So it's smooth rather than lumpy and keeps what little cable is exposed under wraps.

Maybe do weight a little bit more, but my wheels are light where the weight loss makes more difference.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    I have Ritchey Monocurve bars that replaced my Ritchey WCS Curve bars and C260 stem. Weight is 365g as opposed to 360g, but they're much stiffer and damper. Cost is an issue on these though...
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • I've got Pro Stealth and Cinelli Ram bars, they look cool.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The pro stealth bars I got my wife are 400g all these inter grated bars are bit on the porky side but so long as you are not weight weenie you'll like them
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    I has a spesh Barmac setup, and it was fine. Sold as too narrow. The spesh bars come with a set of shims that allow the angle of the stem relative to the steerer to be altered, thus altering reach and rise by small amounts -1 degree to +7 degrees.