Question regarding upgrading wheels- cassette too?

mangetout_rodney
mangetout_rodney Posts: 121
edited July 2014 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have a Specialized Tarmac SL4 Sport and about to upgrade the Axis 1.0 wheels to Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheel set.
The Tarmac has a Tiagra 10 speed cassette on the existing wheels.
Is it a good idea to upgrade the cassette at the same time?

Also, I was thinking of going for the Dura-Ace 7800 10 speed (£94) or the Ultergra 6600 10 speed (£50).
Any reason why I shouldn't do this?
Is the Dura-Ace just a bit lighter?
They are 173g vs 235g.
I guess worth is relative here but if you were in my position which one would you go for, if any?

I was plan on upgrading many of the Tiagra and 105 components to Ultegra/Dura-Ace over time.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    If you want to "upgrade" the cassette, you can... if you want to stick to Tiagra that is also OK. TBH I have never been faster or better or anything different in fact by spending more money in sprockets...
    left the forum March 2023
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    I have recently used a 105 and ultegra cassette back to back. In terms of shifting i could not tell any difference.
    Ok the Ultegra is lighter but that was about it.
    D
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    I buy my cassette's based on what teeth they have, so I sometimes get Tiagra - sometimes 105. No real difference. My wallet prefers the Tiagra.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • Ok folks- thanks for the input.
    Perhaps I'll hold off upgrading the cassette for now and wait until it is worn.
  • holiver
    holiver Posts: 729
    Ultegra 6700 cassette is only £30 at CRC so it could be a good upgrade if it saves some weight over the Tiagra one.
  • holiver wrote:
    Ultegra 6700 cassette is only £30 at CRC so it could be a good upgrade if it saves some weight over the Tiagra one.

Cheers for that- yes a lot cheaper.
  • Ultegra over DA
  • Ultegra over DA

For the reason of cost/benefit ratio, or something else?
  • furiousd
    furiousd Posts: 214
    Ultegra over DA

For the reason of cost/benefit ratio, or something else?

I would imagine cost benefit.
    D
  • I ordered the 6700 Ultegra to go with the wheels.
    Thanks for the help folks.