new cassette?

squirejim
squirejim Posts: 44
edited July 2014 in Workshop
hi, i currently run a compact which i beleive is 11-25 and am thinking of swapping this over to a 11-27, 11-28. AS am cyclign alps in a couple of monhts.

question? - can i just buy a casstee and fit it as normal, dont need any exra bits? any ideas what cassette to get? i have sram force components currently.

cycling alp dhuez and mont ventoux.

thanks in advance

Comments

• I'd get a new chain also. If your increasing the cassette teeth number the chain may need a couple of extra links to cope.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    You may have to change your rear mech and, as stated above, you may also have to change your chain. If you provide details of exactly what make and model rear mech you have there are folk on here who'll be able to help
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    The rear mech will take an 11/12-28 comfortably, but I would get a new chain as the current one may be too short.
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Do you know what the rear mech is? My mate's 6600 wouldn't take an 11-28 without screwing the B-screw in backwards. I wouldn't describe that as "comfortably" taking a 28T cassette

I'm not being pedantic, I'm genuinely interested in what the "rules" are as I'm pretty new to tinkering and I had a bugger of a job getting an 11-28 on my mate's bike